Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NWCindy, you are correct regarding a chance discovery.

September 26, 2018 07:19AM avatar
A metal detector is a metal detector so even an 'inferior' quality device, or one with what might be the wrong size search coil for the site, or with less impressive and usually not very practical settings for the general search environment ... might just happen to have a search coil swept over a desirable targets that isn't too negatively influenced by some nearby masking trash and .... BEEP! Somebody just happens to make a good find.

Very often I have witnessed someone hunt a densely littered ghost town where nails, rusty tin, and all manner of other ferrous and non-ferrous junk is challenging, but somebody just happens to cruise along in a more sparsely littered section and they make a nice find. More often than not they are using a make or model detector that I certainly wouldn't use at that location or recommend to anyone. Therefore the 'Got Lucky' factor showed up when least expected.

I was in my all-time favorite ghost town of 'Twin Flats' Utah one day and when I arrived there was a fellow working his new-to-him Garrett GTi-2500 with the big honkin' imaging coil. I parked where I usually did and started hunting and kept an eye on him and where he was working. Most of the area he searched was where I know to still be densely littered. I was finding a few old coins or Chinese Cash coins here and there, but he seemed to be getting more and more frustrated as time passed.

After a while he was about ready to call it a day and walked over to me to see what I was finding and find out what I was using. It was a different make and model with a small 7" Concentric coil. I glanced around and spotted a few nails kind of close and placed a coin on the ground between them to demonstrate why I used what I used. I swept across the nails (rejected) and coin (which Beeped!) and he thought that was impressive. He tried his detector and it didn't come close to getting a dig-worthy response from the coin.

He thought he had a good detector for Coin Hunting in town but said he maybe ought to find a better detector for ghost town hunting trashy areas. I agreed. He then turned to detect his way over to his vehicle and went maybe 8 feet away, if that. I was on the fringe of a more densely littered area and he was strolling through a rather cleaner patch of dirt and sagebrush when his Garrett rang out loud and clear (he wasn't wearing headphones), then he toe-scuffed to about 2" deep and picked up a pretty decent looking 1864 2¢ piece.

Then the comment was something like "Hey maybe this isn't such a bad detector after all," and he went on his way. He did detect for maybe about hour before he drove off. Just another 'Got Lucky' day for someone.

I now have twelve units in my Regular-Use Detector Team including doubles of Nokta CoRe and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX devices, plus a few 'Specialty-Use' models for seminars and demonstration/training purposes. Some are first-picks for urban Coin Hunting, others for Relic Hunting the ghost towns and other iron-challenged places. Some would be a unit to grab for scurrying through tot-lots, and other do better than the rest for Cache Hunting.

Ten of the dozen are all discontinued models, with two of those models being discontinued this past month. One has been on the market for almost 11 months and the last is a new production to be introduced in October. I don't need to own the latest and greatest model on the market, but I do have one from Nokta / Makro and one from White's that are, but all the rest of them are models that have served me well for a long time and I have faith in their ability to continue doing so.

Monte

PS: Just a reminder that while I have some of the best detecting gear around, I also don't mind 'Getting Lucky' now and then, either.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Early morning and this OLD guy just tinkered with OLD and NEW detectors.

Monte 206 September 21, 2018 08:58AM

TR & TR-Disc. -- Tuning .. related to this initial thread post.

Monte 99 September 26, 2018 05:27AM

Next guess, Compass Coin Hustler, Garrett Master Hunter, Nokta CoRe, Nokta Relic and White's MX7...

Hombre 106 September 22, 2018 05:36PM

Randy, you are ooh so close! You got 4 out of 5.

Monte 112 September 22, 2018 06:55PM

Re: Randy, you are ooh so close! You got 4 out of 5.

NWCindy 84 September 25, 2018 02:29PM

NWCindy, you are correct regarding a chance discovery.

Monte 92 September 26, 2018 07:19AM

Do I at least get a consolation prize?.............LOL

Hombre 91 September 22, 2018 08:29PM

A consolation prize? .... Never thouht of that, but here itn is:

Monte 118 September 23, 2018 11:17AM

Re: A consolation prize? .... Never thouht of that, but here itn is:

WM6 74 September 26, 2018 01:40PM

Working on a book, and other ideas. Thanks. N/T

Monte 83 September 26, 2018 05:31PM

That was interesting.

OregonGregg 109 September 24, 2018 07:15AM

Thanks for that history lesson & nice consolation prizethumbs up

Hombre 89 September 23, 2018 02:22PM

Don't be too alarmed, but this reply is brief.eye popping smiley

Monte 99 September 23, 2018 11:57PM

Re: Thanks for that history lesson & nice consolation prizethumbs up

jmaryt 122 September 23, 2018 11:18PM

Hi jmaryt ....lets talk about the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL Pro

Hombre 89 September 24, 2018 08:44AM

Re: Hi jmaryt ....lets talk about the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL Pro

jmaryt 86 September 24, 2018 11:43AM

Re: Early morning and this OLD guy just tinkered with OLD and NEW detectors.

Timbertodd 113 September 22, 2018 10:30AM

Timbertodd 96 September 22, 2018 06:24PM

Nice guess, Todd, but how many were correct?

Monte 74 September 22, 2018 05:11PM

My Guess

OregonGregg 114 September 22, 2018 06:33AM

Gregg, your 'guess' was correct, but only 1 of the 5.

Monte 108 September 22, 2018 08:12AM

jmaryt 96 September 21, 2018 11:48PM

j.t., about the Mojave w/7" Concentric

Monte 115 September 22, 2018 07:54AM

Re: j.t., about the Mojave w/7" Concentric

jmaryt 87 September 22, 2018 05:28PM

My pick for the 5 winnerssmiling smiley

Hombre 114 September 21, 2018 09:38AM

Randy you had two correct out of your five guesses.

Monte 111 September 21, 2018 02:53PM

Okay, I tried these other 4 models. confused smiley

Monte 109 September 21, 2018 04:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018