Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whites Forums all gone on Findmall ?

October 20, 2018 07:11PM
Well, I can see the reasoning from the perspective of Findmall. Many of the Sub-Forums on Findmall are sponsored by their manufactures and were created specifically for them.

There are also other sponsors on Findmall that have ad banners on various pages to generate interest in their products and business for themselves.

Some time ago, Tesoro withdrew their sponsorship on Findmall. There was a lot of speculation as to why. I saw a lot of negative posts going up on the forum over Tesoro's perceived lack of innovation and keeping up with the latest greatest advances seen by other companies. People were posting they were moving onto newer models from other companies. Others cited that Tesoro had a lack of interest in social media. Having negative posts all over your forum is not particularly good press especially if you're the one paying the bill to further your business. Regardless of the reason, the sponsored forum was no longer sponsored.

At least it didn't completely disappear. It was renamed the Beep and Dig Forum, the type of detectors for which Tesoro is widely known. There are years worth of posts on the Tesoro Forum that are resource tools for those that own or may come to own various Tesoro detectors. It was good that it wasn't lost.

For whatever reason, Whites' has followed suit. But White's situation is different in that they had several sub-forums, each for various models of their detectors, not just 1 like Tesoro. Some of these forums had seen few if any posts and interest for months and years. What to do with them?

With Whites' no longer sponsoring their forums, it follows that they would go. The main Whites' forum was renamed the Main Comparison Detecting Forum and the content saved. However, some of the other forums are no longer there to see.

I do have a Whites' MXT in my closet and would occasionally cruise by the Findmall MXT forum to see what, if anything, was posted. I had made some posts myself of hunts and finds. I copied these, along with some photos, and saved them to a file on my computer to remember the outings down the road.

I've had a longtime habit of copying interesting or informative posts about detectors I own and saving a copy in document format on my own computer. Obviously I can't save everything, but there are websites like time machine where you can go "back in time' so to speak and see what was on a particular site.

Personal Opinion:

There are lots of upside to having a specific forum for those using a specific model of detector where they can compare notes, settings and experiences. There are also some downsides.

I notice that detectorists split up into various factions based on the detector(s) they use the majority of the time. Then we tend to hang out on the forums with those using like equipment and miss out on a lot of great finds and discussions going on in other 'groups' simply because we don't use that brand or model of detector. And there can become an US vs. THEM feeling for those not part of the group.

That is just one of the reasons I spend time here on Monte's forum, it is much less brand oriented and much more interest oriented. People that like to go out detecting. It has a local Club feel to it that can be missed on other forums.

You might notice the lack of advertising here on Monte's site. Keep in mind that hosting a site like this isn't free. Give Monte a big thanks and offer a helping hand if you like it here.

Best of luck to everybody as the season here in my neck of the woods draws to an end as winter moves in.

Rich (Utah)

Tesoro Golden Sabre
Tesoro Bandido
White's MXT All Pro
Minelab Etrac
Nokta Fors CoRe
Macro Racer 2
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Subject Author Views Posted

Whites is no longer on the Finds Forum?

DirtDigger 142 October 20, 2018 10:45AM

Re: Whites is no longer on the Finds Forum?

OregonGregg 103 October 21, 2018 11:28AM

Nokta / Makro marriage.

Rich (Utah) 90 October 21, 2018 03:49PM

Rich (Utah) 123 October 20, 2018 07:11PM

Re: Whites Forums all gone on Findmall ?

DirtDigger 118 October 21, 2018 12:14AM

Rich (Utah) 79 October 21, 2018 03:43PM

I'm done with that pay for play forumthumbs down

Hombre 138 October 20, 2018 11:20AM

Re: I'm done with that pay for play forumthumbs down

jmaryt 79 October 23, 2018 10:44PM

OregonGregg 113 October 21, 2018 11:14AM

WM6 92 October 21, 2018 08:55AM

DirtDigger 101 October 20, 2018 12:15PM

jmaryt 86 October 23, 2018 10:50PM

Sad-but-true, White's has short-lived several really good detectors.

Monte 117 October 24, 2018 11:16PM

Re: Sad-but-true, White's has short-lived several really good detectors.

jmaryt 76 October 25, 2018 11:47PM

j.t., you asked: ... "m6 with 5.3 eclipse on board,was as "fast" in the trash ?"

Monte 85 October 26, 2018 03:01AM

Re: j.t., you asked: ... "m6 with 5.3 eclipse on board,was as "fast" in the trash ?"

jmaryt 70 October 26, 2018 10:49PM

D&P-OR 117 October 20, 2018 01:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018