Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"The curb strips there are plentiful and WIDE."

December 18, 2018 09:20AM avatar
I'll tackle them regardless if they are narrow, medium or wide, but the wider-size strips in older neighborhoods were often the more productive for early-era coins. My best wide-strip find was in Ogden, Utah where I recovered an 1861-S Seated Liberty 25¢ in EF condition. That was a lunch-break recovery while the homeowner was looking on and we were discussing the potential in his tilled-up parking strip that he had hunted every few years with his early '70s White's TR. He said there wasn't anything left, but I hit it briefly the evening before and pulled Wheaties, an Indian Head, a Buffalo and knew it had potential. I was using a Tesoro product w/8" Concentric coil.

Sometimes any site we hunt can be a let-down or a real surprise, and so it was with a very narrow strip in inner downtown Portland Oregon. I was looking for any renovation of sidewalks or in a park, etc., as we had been finding a lot of sites and doing well. No luck but I spotted a very narrow curb strip that just looked 'interesting.' It was all bare dirt with trees every ten to fifteen feet, and while narrow it ran about fifty feet long. I was done looking for renovation that day.

I used a White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil for a while, then switched to a modified Classic, also with a 6½" Concentric coil, to take advantage of the slow-motion / quick-response performance as this skinny curb strip yielded a plentiful number of coins. A few modern coins, but very few. Mostly early Wheat-Back and Indian Head 1¢, and occasional 5¢ piece, and quite a few Mercury and early mintage silver Roosevelt 10¢ that were all easy recoveries using my rounded-off screwdriver.

Only one 25¢ coin that I recall and it was clad.sad smiley It was a pleasant day for Portland and had been dry for about a week, it was mostly sunny but only in the upper 50°s, and while the copper coins were in greater number, that little strip put me over the ten silver coin count. thumbs up

Pneumaticninja
Monte, thanks for the kind words. I traveled to a neighboring city. Population of about 5k. I’ve driven through it many times looking at the old houses.
Yep, any size town / city but especially where there are homes that had activity from the 1950's on back. A friend and I hit a small Oregon town of about 2,500 people on an out-of-the-way drive and spotted narrow curb strips that had recently been disturbed from what appeared to be tree or shrub removal.

They were short-length and he was quicker to get onto one that was near the Post Office so I had to take the one across the street. They were small and we were done and back on the road in about 15-20 minutes, but I was almost empty-handed having ended up with the low-production strip while he kept busy on his side of the road. One of those 'iffy' opportunities where you just have to pick the right place to hunt.

Pneumaticninja
The curb strips there are plentiful and WIDE. If the weather can stay decent I might try one more time. We will see. I’m certainly looking forward to spring time and ghost towns!
Several of them here in town, the ones that border a vacant lot of other place where a homeowner won't annoy you, are narrow, but also have a build-up of dirt and debris where the surface is about 1" to 3" higher than the adjacent curb or sidewalk. Generally very low production places,

Like you, we just have to hope for a little warmer and drier weather to find some sort of small area to hunt until we get back into a huntable season and can spend a day at a ghost town or other old-target potential site. I'll be that if we were out at 'Rippville' today you'd probably use your Tesoro Vaquero and 6" Concentric before you'd grab the Garrett AT Max. Some conditions just call for different detectors and/or search coils.

We have a few days this week when it might get into the low-to-mid 40° range and partly sunny. If I can find a parking strip or other similar huntable place, I know I am at the ready since 8 of my detectors keep a 4.7X5.2 to 6½" coil mounted full-time, and 2 are ready to hunt with a 7" Concentric coil mounted. It might be a few degrees warmer in our neighboring state to the east so I might wander around over that direction, weather permitting.

If I spot a better workable place while wandering about I'll call you and Oregon Gregg. Often I am surprised by renovation going on out-of-season at a park or other location that proves productive. Just trying to find a brief opportunity to shake the cabin fever blues.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. XP: ORX
Specialty-Use Outfit: Fisher: F-44 .. White's: XLT and modified IDX Pro
Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Grey Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Curb Strip Finds 12/15/18

Pneumaticninja 332 December 15, 2018 08:44PM

Re: Curb Strip Finds 12/15/18

OregonGregg 193 December 16, 2018 09:01AM

Pneumaticninja 143 December 16, 2018 09:19AM

Congrats on: 1, 2 and 3.

Monte 163 December 16, 2018 05:50AM

Re: Congrats on: 1, 2 and 3.

Pneumaticninja 158 December 16, 2018 09:17AM

"The curb strips there are plentiful and WIDE."

Monte 257 December 18, 2018 09:20AM

Re: "The curb strips there are plentiful and WIDE."

Pneumaticninja 218 December 18, 2018 07:19PM

Thursday or Friday? I'm good but the weather might not be.

Monte 202 December 18, 2018 08:32PM

Winter Hunting Tip . . .

UtahRich 216 December 20, 2018 01:04AM

Re: Winter Hunting Tip . . .

jmaryt 177 December 20, 2018 08:38PM

jmaryt 148 December 16, 2018 12:43AM

Pneumaticninja 143 December 16, 2018 09:26AM

jmaryt 201 December 16, 2018 09:43PM

Druid 194 December 17, 2018 06:32PM

jmaryt 141 December 20, 2018 08:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018