Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I said I will use a Relic Hunting shovel, qualifying when and where.

March 16, 2019 01:24PM avatar
I never said I would use them in every public park or school, and I also qualified that I would not use them in any big city type well groomed grassy area.

I was simply curious about restrictions some folks have where they usually search. For instance where are you and Harold are located and do most of your hunting, are there any restrictions there as to where you can hunt or what you can use for Target recovery?

I live in a small town in eastern Oregon with a population of right around 1,800 people. Just up the street from me is one big park that is just used for soccer and that's only on a few days I ever see anyone out during a year. No playground equipment, no picnic area, no parking except on the dirt road by it.

We do have one city park that is a main city Park with picnic boweries, a bark chip playground Tot Lot, and a baseball field. I remember back in 74 and for several years after that the main sign here in town indicated several things were not allowed and one of those was no metal detecting. That was when my older brother was a cop here and I'd come over to visit and do some detecting in other areas. Maybe 20 or 25 years ago they removed some old trees and also changed the sign and it no longer tells us no metal detecting.

So I go there detecting, and I've talked to the city ground keepers and they tell me that they don't have any problem and hardly see anybody detecting anymore. Then they're curious how I'm doing, and remind me to make sure any recovery holes are properly filled and kept neat. I use a handheld digger.

There are some parks, around this state at least, where I know a small size shovel, such as the Lesche or Samson Relic Hunting shovel is permitted. Those are small rural out-of-the-way County parks, and while they allow their use they do emphasize to use caution and do not leave the area unsightly.

Perhaps one of the advantages in this modern day is that most of the caretakers of the parks who I talked to very seldom see anyone out metal detecting. Heaven's, I very seldom see anyone out metal detecting. It's not like those early days when the metal detecting hobby here in the U.S.A was growing at such a pace that you could see people out at parks and schools and beaches and all sorts of public areas almost all the time.

Back from the mid-70s to the mid 80s I could drive around larger metropolitan areas such as Portland Oregon or Salt Lake City Utah and all the surrounding major towns close to them on any fair weather day and count 10 to 20 people out using a metal detector. Weekdays or weekends it didn't matter it was a fast-growing hubby, and people were out everywhere finding stuff.
But reality has been easy to see since the latter 80s when the hobby had peaked in this country. We still had quite a few clubs, and people did get out detecting but you could see the numbers and the frequency people got out was dwindling.

Since about 25 years ago, with the much reduced number of people getting out or being out for very long when they do get out, it's not a big issue like it used to be. Many parks, or at least many localities, have backed off or eased up on there restrictions. Many of the older people passed on who were in it long ago, and those of us who were younger back then and her still in the hobby are the old characters out enjoying it today

I know I talked with Park people on occasion and they consider I'm just an old man out having some fun. I've been hobbling around the parks and that since 93 with a cane and it just looks like an innocent hobby to them. Nothing like decades ago when there were big numbers of people digging up parks and leaving them really ugly.

No, not everyone did. He was just a few bad apples that cause frustration for the rest of us. We try to fill the bad dig spots they left behind and keep our stuff nice and tidy coming and quite often we do it today. Just not in the number that we used to encounter.

My recovery gear belt has my whites dig master that I use when I'm not able to pop a coin with a screwdriver. I still use a screwdriver for 80 or 90% of the coins I encounter. I'm referring to hunting well manicured lawns.

Put in those out-of-the-way areas where I know it's allowable to use a proper size shovel, I don't have a problem with it Alma and it can leave a nice Cut plug with a clean looking area when I'm done.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: 1, Nokta-Makro: 3, Teknetics: 1, Tesoro: 2, White's: 2, XP: 1
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Spring thaw finally!

Harold,ILL. 216 March 13, 2019 12:11PM

Glad you're getting out hunting, hope to get out soon myself. NT N/T

Hombre 141 March 16, 2019 03:28PM

Re: Spring thaw finally!

jmaryt 161 March 16, 2019 10:42AM

I said I will use a Relic Hunting shovel, qualifying when and where.

Monte 178 March 16, 2019 01:24PM

Re: I said I will use a Relic Hunting shovel, qualifying when and where.

jmaryt 147 March 16, 2019 03:05PM

Re: I said I will use a Relic Hunting shovel, qualifying when and where.

Harold,ILL. 136 March 16, 2019 07:59PM

Your are now Free to move about the City . . . .smiling bouncing smiley

UtahRich 180 March 13, 2019 01:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018