Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New worksite and search site locations.

August 03, 2019 04:00AM avatar
Rich, I hope the new work location is easier, faster perhaps, to get to round trip from home.

Now you'll have to learn a new work 'neighborhood' for detecting opportunities. Sorry to hear you worked 3 tot-lots that had very little to recover. They were either worked recently, or quite likely some of the many these days that just don't get used much. Especially by anyone who's carrying change.

As I stated, I could find a lot more if I lived in, or very close to, bigger cities such as Portland, Oregon or Salt Lake City, Utah where I would have done better working on my 5,000 coin goal for the year. That's a decent goal to work toward but nothing like the goals I had in '98. By then I knew we had experienced the changes in this hobby brought about my lifestyle changes in the younger generation due to electronic devices, etc. I set a goal to try and hit 10,000 coins in '98 including older coins I would find in renovation sites, or from excursions I'd make to ghost towns and other fun-to-hunt sites.

I started having more fun when I chanced upon new-to-me playgrounds in some 'questionable' neighborhoods where I spent a week-and-a-half getting there very early each day and working the bark-chip around the play equipment as quickly as I could to be out of there before they started to wake up and move about. My best day there, the day I started on them, I had three playgrounds in that low-income neighborhood just a short distance apart. I began searching them at the crack of dawn, and they were so productive, especially the main one, that I didn't leave until about 12:30 in the afternoon because I told my wife I'd be home for lunch.

I was late for lunch and had to wash up really well as my recovery hand was quite soiled. In the mess of coins, which totaled over $31.00 face value, I had several silver dimes and a couple dozen wheat-back cents. A few gold rings or other jewelry items and almost ten silver rings and items. At the time, I don't believe anyone had hunted those play lots, or at least not for a while, and certainly not extensively. That was in '98 and those locations and several others I hunted as I started concentrating on quick work at as many tot-lots as possible. That's when I had splendid recoveries in April through August as my top-producing months. I took my cleaned coins to the club meetings for part of my Find-of-the-Month display as each of those months I recovered from a little over 1600 coins, in April, to my best month of slightly over 2200 coins in August.

I surpassed my 10,000 coin goal that year and hit 12,479 coins. But that was back in '98 and I haven't been able to achieve that mark again. The last time I topped 10K a year, and a good reason for that is all the continued health and impaired mobility issues I deal with. I guess aging an additional 21 years hasn't worked in my favor, either.

Two decades before that, in the mid to latter '70s, and before we had motion-based detectors or visual and audio Target ID and Tone ID, most of my detecting was in grassy parks, schools, parking strips and some private yards as the equipment we had wasn't that great for hunting the rough terrain ghost towns and such. Besides, there was a lot of silver and early-era coins to be found, and back then, mainly hunting in the Portland metro area or in and around Ogden and south towards Salt Lake City, it wasn't all that difficult to hit the 40K to 60K mark in a year if you got out hunting often .... and I definitely put in a lot of time.

Besides, most locations where I lived or traveled the park and school playground equipment was mostly just anchored in the dirt or the older schools in the asphalt play area where they also painted off the hop-scotch and four-square play areas. Most of the better bark-chip type tot-lots started to appear around the early '80s or so to provide 'safety' for kinds who jumped from swings or fell off the other structures.

Today, we definitely do not encounter high-use playgrounds everywhere, and as you related before so many people, young and old, don't carry or use much coinage. School milk money and lunch money are kind of a thing of the past, and the cost of so many things we used to buy sure isn't in the nickel-and-dime category any more. While traveling on Monday my blood sugars were getting a little low so I thought I'd buy a candy bar or two to keep at-the-ready in the ice chest.

As a bad diabetic I don't frequent the candy aisle very often, and after seeing them priced at $1.89 and $1.99 for ONE candy bar, I changed my mind on that investment. I remember helping my dad at his music store on a Saturday when I was in Kindergarten and earned a bit to go down to Chino's Café for a burger and chips. I splurged and got a malt instead of a root beer, and heading out the door was candy rack. I fortunately had 20¢ left and could buy my favorite candy bar, a dark chocolate Mounds, as well as the newer one I'd not yet had, an Almond Joy. I didn't care for the new one, but at a dime each it was worth a try.

Nope, most kids don't have much money on them, and tot-lots and other playgrounds don't seem to be a big attraction for them in many localities. I know that in the past ten to twenty years, living mainly in the greater Portland metro area or the Ogden to Salt Lake City area, I tried to learn where the better potential tot-lots are. Not all of them are worthwhile, and I can make a 5 minute quick-hit of them and you'll know if you should stay and keep hunting or scurry off to a different playground that might be better. I also know where some of the better ones are, and those see my first visits when I get to town.

Any good detector can be used with success in a tot-lot, and I prefer to use smaller coils, as I have since '71/'72, because they can work in closer to the metal structures. In high-target sites they help isolate individual coins. My ORX does fairly well, but the 5X9½" DD coil is just a bit too large. Besides, I tend to run all my detectors as close to full Sensitivity as I can and I have to keep that in check. My CoRe and Relic, with their 5"ish DD coils also work fine, or a 4" Concentric or 5" DD on an Omega 8000 or F44 do better closer to the structures, and the 7" Concentric I keep on them full-time is OK, too, but better in the more open areas than closer to the metal structures.

I'm sure your EQ-800 w/6" DD can tackle the playgrounds reasonably well, also, but even though I travel with all my detectors mentioned in my vehicle and ready-to-grab, the first and almost only detectors I get my hands on upon arrival is a Tesoro. Either my Silver Sabre µMAX, or Bandido II µMAX like I toted on last Monday's journey, either one with a 6" Concentric coil mounted, tend to be the most useful detectors I use for quick hit-and-run visits to tot-lots. You can isolate most targets quickly with Tesoro's quick-response coil wiggle, then toe-scuff the target out of the chips, sand or shredded tire material and continue on finding stuff.

I have a few places I like to hunt down your way and on my next trip I plan to spend a day or two or three just 'bark-chipping' the tot-lots. I might be headed towards Portland today for a HS graduating class 'Birthday Party' but need to hurry and get on the road. A few hours to visit with a few friends from long ago, then maybe linger for a couple of days and get some coin hunting in.

Best of luck to you finding new locations to hunt close to work. I hope you'll spot some renovation that's productive, and certainly you'll come across a few playgrounds that will interest you, too. You don't have that beautiful Bandido II µMAX any more, but you just might grab that Mojave to put to work in the playgrounds with that 7" Concentric coil.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Just a Day #2 update.

Monte 197 July 02, 2019 09:36PM

Last 5 days, with #29 doing 'quick hits' for pocket drops.

Monte 92 July 31, 2019 04:12PM

Last 5 Day - 'quick hits' for pocket drops.

UtahRich 79 August 01, 2019 07:23PM

Thanks for the comments, Rich.

Monte 96 August 02, 2019 05:23PM

New Opportunities -

UtahRich 65 August 02, 2019 07:58PM

New worksite and search site locations.

Monte 64 August 03, 2019 04:00AM

Re: New Opportunities -

jmaryt 72 August 03, 2019 12:00AM

Opportunities

UtahRich 74 August 05, 2019 10:46PM

Re: Opportunities

jmaryt 82 August 06, 2019 10:29AM

Simplex

UtahRich 86 August 09, 2019 01:00AM

Days #18 thru #26 .. Too hot, too busy, or just unlucky.sad smiley

Monte 130 July 27, 2019 09:12AM

Very Hot and Dry here as well. N/T

UtahRich 72 July 29, 2019 09:13PM

Re: Days #18 thru #26 .. Too hot, too busy, or just unlucky.sad smiley

desertsmith 124 July 28, 2019 09:14AM

Day #16.. Worked some dirt & #17.. Medical & Instruction.

Monte 99 July 17, 2019 11:13PM

Day #13.. 100° & unpleasant --- Day #14.. Silver!smiling bouncing smiley --- Day #15.. Sicksad smiley.

Monte 120 July 16, 2019 05:34PM

Day #10, #11 and yesterday #12.

Monte 106 July 13, 2019 11:43AM

Day #6, #7, #8 and today's Results ..

Monte 116 July 09, 2019 08:41PM

Win / Win - cool smiley

UtahRich 109 July 09, 2019 10:00PM

Re: Win / Win - cool smiley

OregonGregg 100 July 10, 2019 07:27AM

Re: Win / Win - cool smiley

NWCindy 100 July 11, 2019 03:13PM

Try it, You'll Like it. cool smiley N/T

UtahRich 77 July 10, 2019 10:54PM

Day #4 & #5 Results.

Monte 121 July 08, 2019 08:49AM

Day #3 Results.

Monte 129 July 04, 2019 11:35AM

Re: Day #3 Results.

Kraemer 110 July 08, 2019 04:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018