Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good questions and interesting qualifiers.thinking

August 14, 2019 10:07AM avatar
UtahRich
What is the Future of Coin Hunting?
The metal detecting industry, here I the USA, peaked about '83 to '86 and has been on a decline since then. A few plateaus along the way were it holds steady for a short while, then continues to decline.

Most "Coin Hunting" for the majority of people in this Hobby takes place at popular public sites like schools, parks, beaches, etc. Most of the coinage that has been lost has also been found, especially from about '65 to '80-'85 when the sport really surged and it was more a hobby-of-interest, but when the finds started to thin and some of those beginners got bored, we've seen fewer people really get into the hobby with a lot of interest .... referring to modern Coin Hunting where most of the recoveries are newer coinage and not the older, more desired period of coins.

As long as the hobby of Metal De6tecting holds enough interest, and we still have enough places to access where a fair amount of recoveries can be made, urban Coin Hunting will be around. It sure isn't growing because there isn't all that much interest to draw a lot of newcomers in like it did several decades ago.

UtahRich
What is the future of Metal Detectors designed specifically for coin hunting?
See, you went and added a qualifier in that question to narrow the detectors to consider to be those more deliberately marketed for Coin Hunting. While a bulk of my coins, for 3½ decades, have been found using simple detectors w/o visual Target ID or audio Tone ID, that's because the bulk of those sites are "quick-hit' types of locations like bark-chip and sand filled tot-lots or volleyball courts.

Otherwise, most metal detectors designed for Coin Hunting , and I mean most of them, feature variable Discrimination, visual Target ID and audio Tone ID to help sort and classify potential coins from more probable trash. Additionally, they are also mostly in an affordable dollar range to appeal to more people and market to a larger number of potential consumers ... and this is a 'hobby' and for many it is a product in the budget or lower-cost investment category.

Models such as the Fisher F44 is a good example. Light-weight, easy-to-use. Has a memory feature and comes with 3 preset and 1 custom set modes. Also features a back-lighted display, 1 to 4 tone assignable audio in the Custom mode, adjustable Iron Audio Volume, and has a large and easily readable VDI numeric display. Powered by 2-AA batteries, and has quite a few search coil options to select from.

This model retails for $399.95 but can be purchased for a lower MAP especially if you buy it with a smaller-size coil than standard like I did. Does it do well on my Nail Board Performance Test? Nope, definitely not. Is it a model I want to grab first at most of those densely littered, iron infested old railroad ghost towns I enjoy hunting? Absolutely not, regardless of which search coil I mount to it. So, why do I own two of them and what in the world would I want them for?

COIN HUNTING ! Good old, everyday, Coin Hunting at most of the very typical urban sites like I've been searching for over 54 years now.

WHY ?!? Simply because it works very well for most average Coin Hunting in parks and schools and yards and other places. It's not the deepest-seeking unit, but in so many public places these days we really need to keep watch of others and how they view our activities, and we should limit deep recoveries. Most coins are shallower and not deeper, anyway. The detector is just about the lightest-weight and nicest-balanced of all my Coin Hunting units and better than most get-serious Relic Hunting models I use. It is a 'fun' detector to use, and that's part of why I enjoy detecting.

Let's keep in mind that Coin Hunting and Target ID got their start here in the USA, and it's easier for many to enjoy because our coins are mostly consistent sizes, shapes and alloy contents so they were easier to develop a visual TID display in the first place. Many countries have used a lot of different mixes of sizes, shapes and alloy contents in coins over a long period of time, and a lot of those coins have been made or steel, nickel and other metals that are of magnetic properties and do not 'lock-on' well. Also, here in the USA and Canada, compared with many other countries, we get to search parks and other public places for coins while many of them don't allow that.

Therefore, the manufacturers located here in the USA ought to be able to continue offering Coin Hunting detectors for quite a while. It's still a hobby that is declining in interest overall, but as long as there are enough people who enjoy detecting, and since the bulk is typical urban Coin Hunting ... Manufacturers will keep offering Coin Hunting detectors.

UtahRich
** edit add. The reason I bring this up is that I am seeing the latest generation going to electronic transactions and not carrying cash / change. Those of you that have frequented parks and they like are seeing the same thing. Lost coins are not being replenished like they were.

Rich -
Gone are the days when girls would chalk out a hopscotch pattern on a sidewalk, boys would pull a bag of marbles out of their pocket to get into a shooting match with some of their buddies, or kids would pull out the skate key to strap on and tighten their skates on their hard-soled shoes to circle the city park sidewalk a few times. No more kids or "young-at-heart" older folks stopping by the park or school to use the tall swings or take on some of those high metal slides and have fun.

You don't see a group of boys with the gloves, a bat and ball walking to a school, park or big vacant dirt or sand lot to play ball, and, as a matter of fact, so often we don't see kids of any age out doing much of anything constructive or fun these days. Their not out delivering papers or on a collection route, not out mowing lawns or raking leaves, and, matter of fact, many not 'out' all that often. Too many are lazy, stay-at-home kids who watch TV and movies or use their computers and other electronic devices just to play games and be way too idle much of the time.

Besides, they (whoever you can assign 'they' to) have dumbed things down. Tall and fun metal slides are gone and so are the big swings for a lot of enjoyment. Anything that scared some adult because it might be something an older grade school kid or someone in middle school, high school of older might get hurt on has been removed. Then they replaced playground stuff at both parks and schools, with a lot of that overly colorful, cheapish-looking plastic playground stuff that looks more like a little kiddies play structure. Nothing fun. Nothing exciting, Not much very beneficial to a school kid. Just another way to dumb the kids down.

Heavens, over the last decade-plus I have seen new playground structures at SCHOOLS where half the swing seats are those little toddlers seats. What the heck are they putting those in at a school for! Kids of many ages don't play like they used to.

I do still see younger kids out-and-about and playing in a lot of smaller towns I visit, especially where they might not have good phone service or limited internet and a lot of people just don't have internet. My cell phone doesn't work and only one popular company provides fair phone service. Matter of fact, I don't see most of the younger folks packing a phone around, and they are, as a whole, friendlier and more sociable people, young and old, and they do seem to be more 'normal' like we all used to be.

Oh, and in many of those smaller town, kid DO handle money and not rely only of pass, cards and credits. They are the medium-size, out-of-the-way towns without a lot of modern conveniences.. Many do have a lot of younger folks who ARE out and about and active where I usually enjoy stopping off for a visit at a park tot-lot or two and possibly the school playground. More often than not they are higher coin-production visits.thumbs up

All this electronic transaction stuff has been increasing to the point of being 'normal' over the past twenty years or so. Sure doesn't go a long way to help those of us who enjoy Coin Hunting, that's for sure

But I'll still do my best to have fun and get out Coin Hunting as often as I can even though the hobby will continue to decline as time passes.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Future of "Coin Hunting"

UtahRich 177 August 12, 2019 07:11PM

Re: Future of "Coin Hunting"

RickUK 89 August 14, 2019 01:05PM

Rick - I like your perspective.

UtahRich 73 August 14, 2019 09:29PM

Good questions and interesting qualifiers.thinking

Monte 89 August 14, 2019 10:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018