Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Future of "Coin Hunting"

August 14, 2019 01:05PM
Will come a time when gradually coins will become a thing of the past,everything of course is gradually moving over to a cashless society and i honestly think its coming quicker than most folks think it will.Here in the UK alot of our smaller town banks are closing down and also thinning out the branches in the bigger towns as well,reason i guess is that most folks have internet access so paying for thing either municipal/energy bills and about everything else can be purchased from the comfort of your home computer.

This then brings us onto UK coinage and how it affect us metal detecting,well modern coinage that has been made in the last 20-25 years is a total load of rubbish anyway,as all of the metal that produces them is what i call el-cheapo 'monkey metal' usually iron cores which of course causes major problems with a discriminating detector,those that are lost on the beaches in sea water end up getting badly corroded and most are fit for scrap but thats the current state with modern coinage.

Regarding older coinage which in our case goes back over 2000 years then we are still pulling them up and will be for along time yet,ploughs are going deeper and bringing up older coins and also detectors are going deeper as well,so hence this is why we are still basically still finding a steady flow of older coins.But in recent years say in the last 5 years and these programmes and other news media has highlighted massive big coin hoards or even individual ultra rare coins this has sent alot of folks into a treasure hunting frenzy think its easy to find rare coins and haords,of course we are all aware that is not in reality correctly infact far from the truth.But we are seduced by seeing this tv shows and glossy adverts of someone smiling and enjoying detectors and always they show 'gold' objects and gnerally everything that we dont find everyday and folks fall for it.Good marketing i the name of the game here.

So yes i am still finding coins/artifacts the same as i did decades ago,infact possibly more due to a few things i have mentioned above,deeper ploughing,better detectors and also other useful online information like Lidar,google maps and old historic maps and this has helped not only me but many other mature/experienced detectorist keep a steady find pouch filled.

Not really worried about the more modern coinage like say within the last 30-40 years as that is basically 'Micky Mouse' money made from el-cheapo monkey metal that then farmers/landowner put corrosive chemicals on the land and the condition of these modern coins is terrible but something like a silver hammered coin that has a resonably high silver content can come out the ground with minimal amount of corrosion and damage,but then they can get damaged by the plough.

Some of the tools of the trade that i use for different site situations here in the UK.

Equinox 600,Deusx2,T2,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Mirage PI,Crossbow PI,Arado 120b,DFX and others.
Subject Author Views Posted

Future of "Coin Hunting"

UtahRich 177 August 12, 2019 07:11PM

Re: Future of "Coin Hunting"

RickUK 88 August 14, 2019 01:05PM

Rick - I like your perspective.

UtahRich 73 August 14, 2019 09:29PM

Good questions and interesting qualifiers.thinking

Monte 89 August 14, 2019 10:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018