Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coin positions when encountering a good root structure. confused smiley

July 19, 2020 12:29PM avatar
From 5½ decades of dealing with tree roots, I concluded that there were certainly some coins that ended up positioned below a root, but that was generally due to a younger root-sprout growing over the already lost coin. I enjoy finding the older coins and tokens and such, and that means fining the older-use parks, schools, picnic groves and other areas that were already treed-up locations. I mean to lose coins back in those earlier days under trees, they already had to be there.

Thus, in most cases and depending upon the types of tress and their root growth, most of the trees and roots were there when folks made use of their shade. Coins, tokens and other pocket-carry items got lost and those were on or close to the surface. Coins and such do not sink, but they can end up being displaced or covered up and, in time, will end up closer to he tree roots. One of the causes for that, remember, is the tree growth also beings about root growth, and roots do not only grow or enlarge on the bottom site.

They grow all around, and a smaller 1" to 2" diameter tree root at the time an old coin was lost might measure 6" in diameter today ... or more with a much older tree. So let's 'average' that root at 1½" in diameter, and today the root is 6" in diameter, that means the outer edge of the root is now 2¼" wider on either side, and on the bottom and now 2¼" closer to the ground level ... if the ground level was unchanged. Due to the root growth it can relocate a coin that was under it before so it is now deeper, but it can also push a coin closer to the surface if it was on top of or over the root.

The bigger challenge is trying to find the more difficult coins, and those are the ones that were lost near the edge of or nearby side of a root. As that grew it could leave a coin or token in more of a 'canted' or 'on-edge' position. I know for a fact that there are times when the Hobbyist has tried to isolate an 'on-edge' or canted coin and tried to retrieve it, but the position wasn't well pinpointed. Here we can acknowledge a good benefit of using a Pinpointer which we didn't use to have. Anyway, the angled coin was difficult to find and the searcher presumed it must be deeper, as if maybe under a root. More excavation got them deeper, and in doing so the edged / angled coin ends up laying relatively 'flat' near the bottom of the hole and they now find it. There now, but it was positioned a bit shallower before the extra diffing.

I have found coins under roots, so I am not arguing that point. And with some ground build-up, fro =m cut grass and fallen leaves, that can add a little more to a lost coin's depth. But in all this time I have never needed an 18" hole to recover a coin-sized target associated with any tree covered environment.

My real problem is finding an OLD tree-filled park or similar location that hasn't ben grossly altered since the early era of those trees being used. Here in Vale, Oregon I found a lot of good stuff back in '74 and '75. I moved here almost 5 years ago, but sometime back around '78 to '83, from what I was told, they took out most of the big old trees, re-contoured the park and added a sports field and other things. The park was grossly altered and today roughly 40 years later, most of the trees are long gone as well, as most of the old dirt which includes all the old coins and ????

Need to drive around more dated locations in search of older trees and cross my fingers.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Hoping all the lost coins under shady trees haven't been found.thinking

Monte 122 July 16, 2020 07:24AM

8-1 AM .. Late start .. Shady, partly overcast, 77°.

Monte 68 August 01, 2020 11:02AM

Trees worked Wednesday morning were few in number.

Monte 72 July 30, 2020 05:39AM

Re: shady tree coin recovery

Sodbuster 80 July 19, 2020 10:57AM

Coin positions when encountering a good root structure. confused smiley

Monte 85 July 19, 2020 12:29PM

Finding your Roots -

UtahRich 79 July 20, 2020 02:09PM

Re: Finding your Roots -

D&P-OR 78 July 20, 2020 03:11PM

Roots - Roots - Roots

UtahRich 76 July 20, 2020 04:04PM

Correct ... physical challenges, like tree roots, turn many away from target recovery. N/T

Monte 65 July 21, 2020 05:50AM

Re: Hoping all the lost coins under shady trees haven't been found.thinking

D&P-OR 93 July 16, 2020 09:47AM

Maybe around here close which is why I'll pop over to Idaho.

Monte 88 July 18, 2020 05:51AM

Re: Maybe around here close which is why I'll pop over to Idaho.

D&P-OR 87 July 18, 2020 09:56AM

We can forget that some newcomers are toting a shovel. There are other real problems for quite some time now.sad smiley

Monte 100 July 18, 2020 10:41AM

Re: We can forget that some newcomers are toting a shovel. There are other real problems for quite some time now.sad smiley

jmaryt 91 July 18, 2020 04:26PM

Re: We can forget that some newcomers are toting a shovel. There are other real problems for quite some time now.sad smiley

NWCindy 84 July 19, 2020 03:44PM

Re: they don't care thumbs up

Sodbuster 85 July 19, 2020 11:06AM

jmaryt 81 July 19, 2020 09:03PM

WM6 79 July 19, 2020 04:40PM

Timbertodd 83 July 18, 2020 01:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 34
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020