Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The first Park I selcted to start working the new Garrett Apex.

September 04, 2020 07:47AM avatar
It had some earlier history, but got its start in 1935 when they located hundreds of young men there for a CCC Camp. It considted of:

"There were eight barracks, a headquarters and recreation hall, a mess hall and kitchen, an officer’s quarters, a technical service quarters, an infirmary, a bathhouse and laundry, an educational building, two portable garages, a latrine, a bake- shop and various small ancillary buildings"

When Pearl harbor was attacked and the site became a Japanese Internment Camp during WW-II.

After that, the location was used as sort of a park-like place to go, until 1963:

"At that time, baseball diamonds, a tennis court and undeveloped camp-sites were developed."

It is a 20 acre park, but to make it such, there is a lot of debris, ferrous and otherwise, including a lot of Iron Nails, Bottle Caps and other annoying junk, from the demolished structures that got moved around when they plowed or otherwise graded and groomed to altered the site to make it a developed park. I can guarantee that hunting a lot of the grassy park calls for being ready to deal with annoying ferrous challenges!sad smiley

I spent a couple of days, or several hours of each day, working the new Apex there. When we get some cooler days next week I'll return and then figure out a couple of areas there to do some side-by-side detector comparisons. I know the outlying dirt areas away from the developed park have been productive for some silver, wheat-backs and a Buffalo Nickel or two, but so far there's been nothing exciting from the manicured grassy area.

Just thought I'd share a little info of one of the places where I'm hunting, and suggest looking into the history of some of the parks you might want to Coin Hunt.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 07:30AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

The first Park I selcted to start working the new Garrett Apex.

Monte 80 September 04, 2020 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020