Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I only found pennies

October 06, 2020 07:16PM
Still hitting the fairgrounds hard. The amusement area where the carnival rides and games are held and have been held for almost 100 years is the area I am concentrating on. It is around two acres and not only do the carnies set up there but they camp there as well. Years ago all the fair goers that camped at the fairgrounds camped in the same area according to a elderly gentleman in his 90's.

Hitting it hard every day for the last two weeks. I have found over 140 good targets. Mostly pennies!!!!! A couple of Nickels a few dimes and quarters. Am i discouraged no, with all these targets there were 4 silver dimes. Most of the pennies are copper. A few wheat cents but a lot of the copper pennies dating back to the 1960's. Most are in the 3 to 4 inches deep range. The dimes were from two inches to five inches deep. Why weren't they found until now? Why were the pennies not found were they ignored or missed?

Part of the answer is cherry picking. Every one wanted the silver but not the copper. The other part of the answer is they were simply missed by operator error. The general hobbyist has a limited amount of time and fails to cover the ground properly. He may be under the mistaken understanding that the bigger the coil the deeper the find. Everyone that sees me detect think that my 6.5 inch concentric coil is not going to find anything only modern coins because it can't see the deep targets. It finds coins that they have been passed up day after day. It also finds bottle caps, nails and pull tabs and copper pennies and silver dimes. Remember this fairground is supposed to be hunted out!!!!!

A penny minted in 1960 is now 60 years old. In 1974 when I got my first detector a 60 year old coin would have been minted in 1914. Back then most of the coins we found were from the late 1930's on. Yes we found lots of silver but silver had been lost for years. Now in 2020 we have had nothing but clad and copper plated zinc coins lost for at least 50 years. Is it any wonder that we come home with so much clad. I am happy to find a 1968 penny at 5 inches as it tells me that some where around there is a piece of silver or there is still good coins waiting to be found.

Just some thought to encourage those who may be having a dry spell.

All the Best

Senior Deacon
Subject Author Views Posted

I only found pennies

Senior Deacon 41 October 06, 2020 07:16PM

Re: I only found pennies

Timbertodd 31 October 08, 2020 04:38PM

Dirt & Grass ... Metal Detectors .. Blue Tarps. = The rise and fall of carnival site production.

Monte 36 October 08, 2020 07:53AM

Re: Dirt & Grass ... Metal Detectors .. Blue Tarps. = The rise and fall of carnival site production. Attachments

Senior Deacon 35 October 08, 2020 11:04AM

Yes, many places are thinned-out. But sometimes it pays to 'know the right person.'

Monte 34 October 08, 2020 12:03PM

The Rocket - Election Time - grinning smiley

UtahRich 35 October 08, 2020 02:14PM

Re: The Rocket - Election Time - grinning smiley

Senior Deacon 29 October 08, 2020 02:43PM

Hunted Out ? Why are there still conductive targets here ? eye popping smiley

UtahRich 39 October 06, 2020 08:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020