Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting Stakes

October 08, 2020 07:05PM
If you followed my pasted post you know that I have been hunting the county fairground. Concentrating on the amusement area of around two acres. Years ago when I was a young man my hunting partner was a gentleman named Bill Cook. He was a great friend of Karl vonMuller. Bill wrote articles for the Treasure Hunters Express that Karl owned and edited. Bill taught me a lot about treasure hunting mostly cache hunting and old sites mostly on old farm ground.

One thing that Bill taught me was setting stakes. This was a old way for farmers to plant in straight rows. It involves a set of stakes placed about 30 feet apart in a straight row. You used one set of stakes in a row. To day instead of wood stakes I use the wire flags used by surveyors with the pink florescent flags. When you get to the first flag you move it from the left side to the right side always working the coil as wide as you set your first stake. When you get to your last stake so your stakes should be in straight line ready to hunt and move the stakes from right to left. This way you know that you have completely covered the ground in a straight line. I carry a red brick which I lay down when I leave the fairground area so I know where to start the next day. Yes some days I might cover ground that I covered the day before but it may be only one pass. It sure beats wandering aimlessly wondering if you have covered the same ground or if you are in new ground that you haven't covered.

Bill would have been in amazement with the new iPhone with all its apps. If I hit a hot spot I get out my iPhone and mark it on the map app with GPS coordinates. I use it to set stakes. The internet I can look up maps and see where things use to be. Even have saved files of different history articles to orient myself when I get to a new site.

I hope there I something in my ramblings of writing that may help make your hunting easier if not more enjoyable.

All the Best

Senior Deacon
Subject Author Views Posted

Setting Stakes

Senior Deacon 37 October 08, 2020 07:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020