Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"cache" from hell.... sort of....

December 21, 2020 11:40PM
Cache from hell... sort of.. but better than sitting on the couch.

The most coins I think that I've ever found in one hole. Not exactly sure how many there were since I started out finding them at the bottom of about a 7 or 8 inch deep hole, and kept throwing them in with the other finds in my pouch without even looking at them until there were quite a few already uncounted in there. Bad news is that a good portion of the "pirates trove" consisted of zinc cents. thumbs down I "estimate" the total was about twenty coins. I know there were no quarters, at least two dimes (I think 3), and one nickel... and 12 ZINC cents, mostly corroded badly. There were also some copper cents that I can tell were in there. So I guess 20 total in the hole
I got a modulated high tone signal with no pinpointer reaction when I checked the sod , so I opened a "horseshoe" in the sod, got a buzz on the pinpointer in the hole, and started digging out soil and rechecking the hole. Soon I had about an 8 inch deep hole and no coins in my hand. I was thinking seriously it's trash, and then a coin.. zinc, and still a signal, so I hollowed out the sides at the bottom, leaving the top as originally opened and found coin after coin. Finally remembered to check the dirt pile on my drop cloth and there were more in there. I am in the habit of thinking one-at-a time, and did not check the pile until most of the coins were out of the hole. Final hollowed out a chamber was the size of a small melon, bigger than a softball but smaller than a volleyball. Most of the coins were not touching, some were. They were spread out over maybe a six inch width or so. Too bad it wasn't from the 50's or earlier. Then it would have been much more interesting. Zincs date the trove, the dimes were 67, 84, 86, nickel 85, so I guess they were lost or buried in the late 80's. Sidewalk and an old tree close by so I don't think the spot was filled.

Dec. 20, 2020. 33-34 degrees F with some wind ; EQ800; park1; 11inch coil. Total coins for the day 54 US and a Canadian cent. No silver, no gold, most coins I ever recovered on a day late in December when smart folks are inside staying warm. A couple of hours hunting, then darkness and the cold sent us home.
Attachments:
open | download - Coins-12.20.20_includes the trove-01.1500.jpg (384.2 KB)
open | download - coins from the trove.01.1500.jpg (706.7 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

"cache" from hell.... sort of.... Attachments

Sodbuster 78 December 21, 2020 11:40PM

Re: "cache" from hell.... sort of....

Kickindirt 33 December 23, 2020 02:19PM

OregonGregg 35 December 22, 2020 06:20PM

Coin Spills - can be fun.

UtahRich 36 December 22, 2020 04:36PM

Re: Corrosion - rotten can't be fun.

Sodbuster 34 December 22, 2020 09:03PM

Corroded Zinc Cents -

UtahRich 35 December 22, 2020 10:10PM

Timbertodd 35 December 22, 2020 08:17AM

Remfire 38 December 22, 2020 12:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020