Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is what's lost, worth finding?

May 04, 2021 11:52AM avatar
Those are some of the Urban detecting challenges we now face; people gathering areas no longer being replenished with worthwhile targets.

My last shallow water area hunt turned up 5 wedding rings in a short hunt, 3 of which are made of non-precious metals like tungsten carbide and stainless steel and cocobola wood. Most of these new non-precious wedding rings cost somewhere around $50-$100-$150 new purchased online. I've been specifically looking for wedding rings the last few years, and have found close to 20, most of those being these tungsten carbine and stainless steel types. It's the new generation. They don't want to spend $1000-$2000 or more on a gold ring / gold ring with stones. Too much money. Too easily lost. Yet they don't hesitate to drop that $$$$ for the latest cell phone that lasts just a few years.

As for lost change, cash is becoming less and less frequent in favor of electronic transactions. The change that is out there is dominated by the US king of junk coins, the zinc cent. A near valueless copper plated zinc planchette that once lost anywhere in the out of doors, dissolves away to an unrecognizable lump of metallic mid-tone garbage. I no longer attempt to rescue them. They are, quite literally, trash.

What to do? My way of dealing with this change in our society is to branch out to different detecting venues. I once hunted the yards of old homes nearly exclusively occasionally a park or old school. Now, all old places are possible places for a visit. I rarely went to a ghost town. Now, I try and make regular visits. I stayed away from the shallow water. Now, I scout places that may hold promise. All places where I think valuables could have been lost are places I watch for.

My other option is to concede defeat and toss in the detecting towel and get out my fly fishing gear and head out to the blue ribbon trout stream not far from my front door. My fly tying gear awaits.

But not yet. I just need to do a better job of researching locations that may still hold things worthwhile. I enjoy the exploring, looking over the vast open horizons. Imagining the wagon trains, the armies on horseback, the steam locomotives, tiny towns as western waypoints on the way to the California, Nevada and Oregon gold fields.

Sounds like you're in a tough spot down there in Texas Monte. Vale was a pretty optimal location with the gold mining and immigration towns less than an hour away. Lots of those ghost town sites you've come to love over the years. From your descriptions it sounds like those days may be past and you may have to find your own new venues.

Keep an sharp eye out. Best of luck in your own explorations.

Rich

----------------------------------------------------

Just One More Good Target Before I Go . . . .

800 - Deus
Subject Author Views Posted

What ever happened to carrying money?!?!

Monte 33 May 04, 2021 07:24AM

Re: What ever happened to carrying money?!?!

jmaryt 15 May 04, 2021 09:39PM

Is what's lost, worth finding?

UtahRich 25 May 04, 2021 11:52AM

Yes, it can be ... with the right location.

Monte 11 May 05, 2021 09:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021