Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, it can be ... with the right location.

May 05, 2021 09:41AM avatar
You're correct about modern Zinc Cents losing face-vale quickly once lost and exposed to the elements in a lot of different ground mineral environments. Eaten away from the edges and / or riddled with holes, those crappy coins can quickly decay. sad smiley

However, if they are lost in a location that might typically be hunted frequently, they can be recovered while still intact. Such places would be an often-searched freshwater beach, popular-use picnic areas, and most notably tot-lots. Not all of those are used often enough, nor do they serve as a regular-production site to hunt often, such as once every week or two. But there are some like that, in certain areas of the country and even just certain locations within a city or metro area.

When I lived in the greater Portland Oregon metro area, and going back to the '97 to '12 period, there were many tot-lots at parks and schools I either never returned to or only made a quick-hit every 2-4 months. Low producers. But I also had a select group of locations I could depend upon to reward me with ample coins and some occasional good gold and silver jewelry. Often I would set out of a morning on a 'Bach-Chip marathon' and make the rounds, either a full day working many of them or, as health declined, break them up into a smaller number for a half-day of fun. While i preferred hunting old sites such as ghost towns, remote dance halls or picnic groves from long ago, etc., my 'Flash Money' urban places kicked out 12,479 coins in '98 and only ± 3,200 in a bad year when I had an injury and surgery that disrupted my fun-time.

Maybe I could figure out some productive routes for modern coins if I was in the over-populated Fort Worth / Dallas area, but off to the west here, Abilene isn't in a top-producer category. I figured that out from the start of my arrival a month ago which is why I have been doing more driving, note-taking and such to work on research to access private property. If all goes well, I might get onto some of the many older-dated properties here in Clyde and other locations, and that will make for better, as in older, Coin Hunting returns.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

What ever happened to carrying money?!?!

Monte 260 May 04, 2021 07:24AM

Re: What ever happened to carrying money?!?!

Senior Deacon 103 May 15, 2021 04:19PM

Monte 118 May 16, 2021 06:53AM

jmaryt 248 May 04, 2021 09:39PM

Is what's lost, worth finding?

UtahRich 162 May 04, 2021 11:52AM

Re: Is what's lost, worth finding?

NWCindy 103 May 18, 2021 06:05PM

Yes, it can be ... with the right location.

Monte 260 May 05, 2021 09:41AM

Re: Yes, it can be ... with the right location.

scottwyl 127 May 07, 2021 10:31PM

Noooooo! Throw those bad boys away!

UtahRich 120 May 07, 2021 11:00PM

Re: Noooooo! Throw those bad boys away!

NWCindy 122 May 18, 2021 06:10PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 36
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021