Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The 'Iron Audio' function on the Apex is working well.thumbs up

July 18, 2021 04:52AM avatar
And the definition of "working well" means it is: serving a very 'functional purpose'.

In this metal detecting industry we often hear terms which mean different things based upon the brand or model. For example, I hear a low-tone Iron Audio response in two-tone or three-tone or five-tone modes with my Relic and Simplex + and ORX and Apex devices as long as the Discrimination is set low enough to audibly respond to some ferrous debris. That lets me have an Iron Range audio, a mid-range audio, and a high-conductive range audio.

But on some of the Garrett metal detector models they have a selectable function labeled Iron Audio. It is not a selection I have turned on for general hunting but is a feature I use, on a momentary selected basis, to help qualify some potential Iron debris. And most of the time, especially at my current residence, that selective basis is dealing with discarded bottle caps. In a few areas around the yard, such as near the dirt driveway, garage, carport and patio they are very abundant.

I am sure that in time I will recover all of the targets that are out there, be them good or bad, and a lot will be recovered by my kids and grandkids as well. Good practice for the grandkids.winking smiley

The main thing I am doing now is cherry picking to recover mainly the coins and ignore trash, and naturally there's a mixture of ferrous and non-ferrous trash so having the Iron Audio option on my Apex devices has been called in to play quite often. It does not just turn on the low-tone Iron Range, but provides a more unique audio response on bothersome iron trash.

Garrett's Iron Audio function only works if you are using some amount of Discrimination and in my Custom program I am rejecting everything below a VDI setting of 20. During a normal search you will often get a low-tone response from probable iron, and you will see an accompanying low VDI read-out. Also you will get a visual hint of problem trash with a radical jumpy VDI response.

But there are times when the amount of targets are so close that can still leave you wondering if a located target is more likely to be Iron or not. That's when I isolate or pinpoint a target and then use a short sweep with Iron Audio activated and it really helps qualify or classify a lot of the problem trash. That way I can ignore recovering it and continue cherry picking the better and more consistent targets.

I'm finding this selectable function to be a very good compliment to the Apex design's in the field performance. There are not a lot of tweaking or adjustment settings as it is either turned On or turned Off, and that helps keep things simple. I search with it Off and select it just on a momentary basis as desired.

For me and my current search mission it is very handy because not only have there been a lot of discarded coins around here but the frequent drinkers definitely littered the area with bottle caps. Yesterday, for example, I only recovered one bottle cap and was able to bypass many others thanks to this function on my Garrett Apex. And for me and my impaired mobility, the less often I have to kneel down and struggle to get up, the better it is and it lets me detect a little bit longer.

As with any feature on any metal detector it has its strong points, but it is not always perfect. It's up to us, the detector operators, to learn each detector and detector feature in order to master the device. If you have Agera with iron audio, I hope you're learning it and using it to your advantage.

It's also useful for other sites such as a demolition project, and my son just alerted me to an old house here in town that was demolished yesterday morning. I've driven by three times trying to catch the property owner see if I can secure permission to hunt his property, but all I see are the posted no trespassing signs and no one present.

I won't give up however because the location should have some good potential for coins, especially old coins, and with the amount of debris it will provide more opportunity to put the Apex's Iron Audio to good work as needed.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

The 'Iron Audio' function on the Apex is working well.thumbs up

Monte 124 July 18, 2021 04:52AM

45 minutes, 5 wheat pennies, no silver, and no bottle caps.

Monte 108 July 19, 2021 07:52AM

Re: 45 minutes, 5 wheat pennies, no silver, and no bottle caps.

jmaryt 101 July 19, 2021 11:52AM

Wheat-Backs came from a 3 ft. diameter area. Nothing else there.sad smiley N/T

Monte 97 July 19, 2021 06:36PM

Re: Wheat-Backs came from a 3 ft. diameter area. Nothing else there.sad smiley

D&P-OR 97 July 19, 2021 09:45PM

I'm also dealing with a lot of built-up ground from mowing and leaf-droppage. N/T

Monte 67 July 20, 2021 10:55AM

That built-up ground from mowing and leaf-droppage.

UtahRich 109 July 22, 2021 04:05AM

Re: 45 minutes, 5 wheat pennies, no silver, and no bottle caps.

D&P-OR 116 July 19, 2021 01:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 35
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021