Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

six months of detecting, the short story with photos

July 27, 2021 04:36PM
Six month detecting in a few paragraphs - overview and photos

It has been a very different year for me in the metal detecting hobby. I was not able to hunt at all during January or February due to the frozen ground. March was only slightly better and I got in two short hunts after the frost was out of the ground with a total of 50 coins, no silver and one wheatie for the month. A nearly rainless spring left the ground very dry, although the cool weather left us moisture enough for the grass to green up and grow.

April brought a little rain,and I recovered my first silver ring of the year and 123 clad coins for the month. I recieved permission to hunt a farm field north of me where a nineteenth century hand dug well had just been discovered during plowing. The plow had hooked one of the flat stones covering the well, revealing a beautiful hand built fieldstone well. It measured just over 14 feet to the sand bottom.... no water, as it is not deep enough anymore. But that's where the water table used to be. I took a video of the inside with my phone and will extract a couple of images. I hunted most of the day around this site and found zero coins, a few iron relics, some melted glass, and what I believe is a decoration from a 19c. horse bridle, made of brass. Clad coins for April- 142, again with no silver coins :-(

May brought me my second silver ring: located in the vicinity of a volleyball court, but not close enough that I am sure it was lost by someone playing there. The ring lying thirty or forty feet away from the court, with nothing else of value around it. May coins 124. No silver coins. :-(

June was mostly too dry to hunt in sod. Then, we had rain in a deluge, close to a flood, at the end of June to make up for the earlier drought. First hunt in June hunting along a river park area, I dug my first silver coin of the year, a 1948 Rosie. Then, looking for a place dry enough to hunt without playing in the mud, I went back to higher ground, an old site previously hunted many times over the last few years, always giving up some clad and a few, widely scattered older coins. At the end of the hunt, as I was walking back to the car with Rascal(my dog), we got diverted from the straight line path to the car by a very elderly couple walking their dog. I was tired and didn't want to have a "dog interaction".. so we took the long way around a building and across another field to get back to where the car was parked. On the way, detector still detecting, but me not being very particular or precise on my sweeps we continued. I had hunted most of this before and I was ready to get home. Then I got a strong high tone signal and my first thought was that it was iron wrap or big aluminum. I swept it a few times, turned on the horseshoe to check for iron, swept it again, and decided to dig. So I cut a horseshoe plug and re-swept the plug/hole and heard a low iron tone. Disappointed, but I loosened some soil in the bottom of the open hole, my instant thought when I saw silver color was big scrap aluminum, but I took my hand to reach in and pull it up, and there was my first silver half found in many years. A nice 1943 Walker. Surprise! You never know till you dig it up. For sure...
June totals: 60 clad coins; 1 silver 50c; 1 silver 10c. 1 wheatie. Best silver to clad ratio that I can remember.
Attachments:
open | download - silver ring april 2021-01.jpg (2.46 MB)
open | download - silver ring april 2021-01a.jpg (1.04 MB)
open | download - 19c. well opening in field-01.jpg (93.8 KB)
open | download - 19th c. well-01.jpg (166.3 KB)
open | download - silver ring May 2021-03.jpg (1.55 MB)
open | download - silver ring May 2021-02.jpg (1.17 MB)
open | download - 4.17.21-farm field relics-3505.1500.jpg (180.2 KB)
open | download - 4.17.21-escutcheon_3503.1200.jpg (179.8 KB)
open | download - 4.17.21-escutcheon-rev_3504.1200.jpg (168.5 KB)
open | download - Silver walking liberty half - June 23, 2021.1200.jpg (147.7 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

six months of detecting, the short story with photos Attachments

Sodbuster 213 July 27, 2021 04:36PM

one tough year

UtahRich 79 July 29, 2021 03:45AM

Re: one tough year

jmaryt 70 July 29, 2021 07:14AM

Re: six months of detecting, the short story with photos

OregonGregg 79 July 28, 2021 06:11PM

Congrats on the good finds! Let's hope your next 6 months are better. N/T

Monte 57 July 28, 2021 10:24AM

Remfire 99 July 27, 2021 11:04PM

Timbertodd 103 July 27, 2021 06:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021