Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

QUESTIONS: Search Coils for mainly Traditional Coin Hunting in urban locations??

April 09, 2022 09:40PM avatar
► Search coil shapes come in round, slightly out-of-round ('OOR'), elliptical, and 'odd-shaped' physical designs.

Questions:

• Do you have a favorite search coil shape for most of your Coin Hunting needs?

If more than one shape, please explain what applications you like them for, such as area or conditions of the locations?

► Typically, coil sizes range from about 4" in diameter to 16" in diameter. These days the majority tend to be a Double-D type but there are still quite a few manufacturers offering Concentric coils. By far the aftermarket search coils are Double-D and very, very few Concentric coils are offered. It used to be a 'standard' coil ranged in size from about 5" to 6½ on lower-end models. and 7" to 8" or 8½" on most average range to top-end models. Almost all were round shaped, and Concentric. A 'larger-size' accessory coil for special use was maybe 10", 12", or the bigger 14", 15" and 16". 'Smaller' coils for general-purpose detectors were 4½" to 7". For the most part we didn't really recognize or class coils in a 'mid-range' size.

Questions:

• Do you have a favorite search coil size for most of your Coin Hunting needs?

• Quite likely you have two search coil sizes for Coin Hunting sites. Could you describe the two favorite sizes you prefer and the types of areas you feel they perform the best for you?

What sizes of coils do YOU consider to be Small ** Mid-Size ** 'Standard' ** Over-size or Larger?

► Basically two 'types' of coils designs are used: Concentric and Double-D.

Questions:

• Have you used both types of coil designs?

• Do you have a personal preference, assuming all manufacturers made both types in all sizes and shapes?

Monte's Answers:

Coil Shape: I spent so may years/decades using a round-shaped coil from early '65 that I just got used to them. Today I still look down at a round coil most of the time, or a slightly 'OOR' coil, such as the Tesoro 8X9 Concentric or the 4.7X5.2 'OOR' DD on a Nokta FORS CoRe or Makro Racer / Racer 2. As of today, I have 8 different models in my Detector Team, and my personal approach to readiness is to keep a selected favorite coil on each detector I want to use. Some, it is the only coil I plan to use, and on a few detectors I might have one or possibly two different coils in my Accessory Coil Tote for selected or special applications.

Of my 8 detectors, 4 of them are 'assigned' Coin Hunting duty, I have a 'round' coil on 2 of them: The Silver Sabre µMAX and XLT. The other shape I like is an 'elliptical', and that preferred 'design' coil for day-to-day Coin Hunting units are on the F75+ and Apex. Why? Because the shape goes hand-in-hand with size, and most of the Coin Hunting sites I select usually have a lot of modern non-few3errous trash as well as some ferrous / magnetic discarded bottle caps. I need a swmqlle3r shap4e coil to try to isolate the good targets from the heavy amount of litter, especially around picnic pavilions at a park, and also for the high coin-count Tot-Lots with all thew metal structures, working near metal fences, etc.

Coil 'shape' needs to work in my favor and not cover too much area, or too many closely-positioned metal targets, both good and bad, plus be able to fit where I need to work the coil.

Coil Size: No doubt most know that I am the biggest fan of smaller-size coils. The first three home-built detectors I made from '65 to '68 had the plans to wind an 8" coil. They worked, but not great. My first factory produced detector in latter '68 was a White's Ghost Towner BFO that had a small wooden search coil that was 6" in diameter. Back then I was mainly Coin Hunting but I was working a lot of picnic areas where bottle caps were frequently tossed aside. However, the amount of lost coins was plentiful and with so many coins positioned so close together, the smaller-size coils really helped to work in and around and isolate them quickly. The smaller-size coil worked great!

And through the many decades since I continue to prefer smaller-size coils for most of my Coin Hunting. Of my current 8 models, the coil size choices for Coin producing areas are as follows: Small Coils used are a round 6" on a Silver Sabre µMAX, a 3½X6½ on my F75+, and a 6½" on my XLT. I have one Mid-Size 5X8 on my Apex.

The Silver Sabre µMAX is mainly for Tot-Lots and a quick-grab to check out a site I come upon. The other three are for more general-purpose hunting anywhere, but the F75+ and XLT are the two I use for most of the trashier areas with modern discarded junk like foil wrappers, pull-tabs and pry-tabs, etc. The Apex is the more open-area workhorse backed up by the XLT.

My opinion on Coil Category:

• Small Coils: Anything with a greater diameter less than 7". Such as a 4", 4½", 5", 5½", 6" and 6½" roundish shape, or an elliptical such as a 3½X6½.

• Mid-Size Coils: A round-shape such as 7", 8" or 9", or an elliptical or 'OOR' shape with a greater measurement from 7" to 9½", to include a 4X7, 5X8, 5X9½ elliptical or the 8X9 'OOR'.

• Large Coils: And measurement greater than 9½" to 11", like a 10" or 11" round, or an elliptical such as 6X11, 7X11" or 8½X11.

Anything bigger than those are what I consider to be 'Over-Size' and I have no use for.

Coil Types: I use both Concentric and Double-D based upon what a manufacturer makes, combined with how it works on the particular detector selected. They are: Concentric coils on my F75+, Silver Sabre µMAX and XLT. The DD coil for Coin Hunting is on my Apex.

If I have my choice of coil type, and could get the same sizes I like to work on every brand and model I have ... it would be a Concentric.

Closing comment is this. While I have 8 different models and can use any of them for Coin Hunting, my 'assigned' 4 Coin Hunting detectors are the F75+, Apex, Silver Sabre µMAX and XLT. However, if needed or desired, my other 4 detectors can serve my Coin Hunting tasks very well, too.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Vista X (and others coming) .. F19 .. F75+ .. Racer .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

QUESTIONS: Search Coils for mainly Traditional Coin Hunting in urban locations??

Monte 220 April 09, 2022 09:40PM

My coil preferences for coin detecting

GB_Amateur 317 April 11, 2022 12:07PM

Re: QUESTIONS: Search Coils for mainly Traditional Coin Hunting in urban locations??

jmaryt 206 April 10, 2022 07:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28