Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tot-Lot Hunting ... Hit-and-Run vs Clean & Prep.

May 17, 2022 03:05PM avatar
I have long enjoyed Tot-Lot hunting especially when living in large metropolitan areas where there are a lot of park and school playgrounds that get frequent activity. High-use sites can produce a lot of coins, but I have done very well when it comes to gold and silver jewelry.

There is no real need for high Tech detectors and visual Target ID, and my two primary-use detectors are a Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX and Bandido II microMAX, each with a 6" Concentric coil.

There are 2 main methods I use. I start very early in the morning before before they start to see any use use and I go on a hit-and-run marathon There are 2 main methods I use. I start very early in the morning before before they start to see any use, and I go on a hit-and-run marathon. I do not spend real long periods of time at each location, instead but instead hitting them as quickly as I could and concentrating on all of the primary coin loss areas. Once I have pretty well cleaned ivory and scoot to the next location as I work a circuit or series of sites.

Periodically I use my other approach which I call Clean and Prep. This involves one additional tool ... a long wooden handle small leaf rake with about an 8" wide green plastic rake. As we know many of the playgrounds are made up of wood chip type material material hand come with a lot of active use, that material gets kicked underneath the stairs and different structures of the playground equipment.

Again come I like to do this when the playgrounds are not real active.. I'll do my quick detecting and all of the menu's play area and then I set the detector aside when I grab the rake. I loosen and fluff all of the wood chip material that's in the general play area and smooth it out so it looks good, and then I rake all the built up wood chips and coins and other debris that has been shoved under the stairs, stamps, and structure pieces.

Once I recall that material out I smooth it in the general use area area and then I grabbed my detector and not yet and hunt it for all the coins and other keepers that have been errantly shoved out of sight. Sometimes my beautification efforts do not produce much but it does look a lot better. However,, there are times when I have raked material out and found dozens of coins just from under one structure, and good jewelry as well.

Now with this move finished and going l home tomorrow. I am hoping to chance upon an unhunted Tot-Lot or two soon.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Vista X (and others coming) .. F19 .. F75+ .. Racer .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tot-Lot Hunting ... Hit-and-Run vs Clean & Prep.

Monte 232 May 17, 2022 03:05PM

Re: Tot-Lot Hunting ... Hit-and-Run vs Clean & Prep.

Utmike 201 May 27, 2022 10:22PM

Yes, a lot of good places for ...

Monte 114 July 04, 2022 10:24AM

Re: Tot-Lot Hunting ... Hit-and-Run vs Clean & Prep.

kac 106 May 26, 2022 09:27PM

kac, a tardy reply, but ....

Monte 146 July 04, 2022 10:05AM

Re: kac, a tardy reply, but ....

kac 88 July 12, 2022 07:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26