Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Urban Coin Hunting .. A good new tool and hard to find old one.

July 04, 2022 11:01AM avatar
Actually, the 'new' tool isn't really brand new but has been around a few years. It is this Predator Raptor which I have not owned. I sure miss the days when there were a lot of metal detecting shops, locally, that carried a variety of hand digger and headphones and all sorts of stuff. But they are virtually all gone so there's no 'local' place to go check out some of the gear.

With 85% of my hunting devoted to ghost towns and other non-urban sites I haven't been paying as much attention to Coin & Jewelry Hunting tools or cite type locations, but now that health limitations are forcing me back to Coin Hunting in-town, I have been watching more and more YT videos and have seen a lot of folks using the Predator Raptor hand-digger. I know the company itself has a reputation of making very solid, reliable products, and I have been using George Lesche's products before he started the Predator brand outfit. I might get a Raptor because I like what I see. But they are not a cheap hand-tool as I just looked at the Predator website and they list them at $59.95.

Then there is the hard-to-find older Coin Hunting tool. Again, I never owned one because I was out in the deserts, the mountains, and other out-of-the-way locations, but I was park hunting once and borrowed one a guy was using. A very slick tool for easing those shallower coins in a grassy environment up out of the ground once you've done a good pinpoint and used a screwdriver to isolate a coin. That tool was called the Coin Popper. I went online yesterday to try and find one and there are all sorts of commercial tools and hand-made tools that folks are calling a coin popper, but none of them are 'the real thing'. It figurers they are not made anymore, but perhaps they are and I can't find it?

Thus, I am curious how many of you might be using a Raptor hand-tool and, if so, what do you think of it?

Also, does anyone know of an outfit making the good, old Coin Popper or have a new / as-new specimen they want to part with? I am looking for something new or in pristine condition.

Happy 4th of July!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Vista X (and others coming) .. F19 .. F75+ .. Racer .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2022 09:42PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Urban Coin Hunting .. A good new tool and hard to find old one.

Monte 224 July 04, 2022 11:01AM

Re: Urban Coin Hunting .. A good new tool and hard to find old one.

jmaryt 90 July 17, 2022 06:18PM

Re: Urban Coin Hunting .. A good new tool and hard to find old one.

GB_Amateur 155 July 11, 2022 01:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27