Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Short Park Hunt, my first token! Also hit the Old Hospital.

February 27, 2016 10:52AM
I hit an older 1800s park close to home for a few hours. The park was very trashy and there is a bit of EMI in the area. It was my first time hunting here so I took some time to get the layout of the park. It is small but has seen a lot of use over the years.

I used my Teknetics T2 with the NEL coil, sensitivity 70, Discrimination 50 (due to EMI), tones 3. I used 1 tone for a while as well. I dug some modern coins and bits of trash with square nails and older trash as well. I got a 90 signal and dug, I figured it was going to be more can slaw but I got a nice State of Washington Tax Token! I also dug a pocket watch cover and a 1949 registration tag.

I talked to another detectorist who was having lunch by the park on his lunch break. He said he and his buddy have given up on the park due to the trash and the hard soil. I admit the trash is thick here and the digging is pretty hard, but no doubt the park holds some history and is worth more hunts. I put on the 5" coil but other than some modern clad I did not find much else. I only hunted for around 3 hours.

I noticed a sidewalk cut out going on in town by the old hospital. I decided to night hunt it and see what I could find. I was amazed at the lack of trash around the hospital, it may be a spot I can use my big coil for once! The cut out did not produce so I started working the grass around the hospital. I got a lot of copper pennies, and clad. I then got a good 81-82 signal at 9-10", I dug and got a 1934 wheat penny. I was getting some other very deep signals but they were deep, 10+ inches and my hand digger was not doing the job. I plan to return and see what the signals are.

Based on the deeper targets and harder soil conditions I just ordered a Lesche Sampson for the coming spring and summer months. It is the 31" model so I can use my foot to drive the point in the soil, I am not one to take shovels in public but am finding it becoming necessary if I am going to retrieve some of these deep targets and still maintain a nice plug. I will limit its use to only when it is really needed or night hunts. I also put copper T fittings on the end of my Predator Raptor and Lesche to help from bruising my palm when cutting plugs. It does not take long for the soil to dry out around here.

Subject Author Views Posted

Short Park Hunt, my first token! Also hit the Old Hospital.

Fish N Chips 645 February 27, 2016 10:52AM

Re: Short Park Hunt, my first token! Also hit the Old Hospital.

OregonGregg 453 February 27, 2016 10:12PM

Congrats on your urban park success.

Monte 491 February 27, 2016 08:02PM

Re: Congrats on your urban park success.

Fish N Chips 492 February 28, 2016 10:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016