Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where would you start to hunt?

May 17, 2017 10:53AM avatar
While not just related to totlots, as Monte suggested, do near parking areas. I find lots of modern coins (and trash) near the parking spots, and off the paths that lead to the totlots.

Since I detect mostly in and around camping areas, I try to look for places around the camp area that could have been used for pitching tents, other than the obvious ones currently near the fire rings. If I detect around the table and fire ring / bbq area, I find coins, but LOTS of modern trash, often an overload of melted aluminum blobs removed with old ashes. Better off doing the flat tent areas, and then looking around for other relatively flat areas where tents could have been pitched in the past.

Many campgrounds have been rearranged throughout the years and campsites may no longer be in their original locations.

I was at an old campground yesterday afternoon, detecting a couple sites I hadn't done on my previous trip there. I found the usual handful of clad in those two sites (and lots of melted aluminum). After doing those, I went out to a fairly flat area with some younger trees, and looked around.. Dug up a '40 "Mercury" dime out away from all the camp sites. I suspect that a camp site had been there many years back. My previous trip there got me a '48 "Rosie" dime, also away from the current camp sites.
That particular campground has been around since at least 1935, BTW; it's shown on a USGS map from that time.

Tesoro Swinger ~
Subject Author Views Posted

Where would you start to hunt? Attachments

Remfire 332 May 14, 2017 07:38AM

NWCindy 211 May 20, 2017 07:25AM

NWCindy 191 May 17, 2017 04:05PM

pinenut 197 May 17, 2017 10:53AM

Remfire, reading your post it looks like you did what I would suggest anyway.

Monte 222 May 17, 2017 07:58AM

coast40 225 May 15, 2017 03:19AM

'Coast40,' Welcome to the AHRPS Forums.

Monte 431 May 17, 2017 07:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016