Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extremely dry here, so no sodbusting...

June 16, 2017 12:13PM
The ground is very, very dry here now. We’ve had no rain for more than a month. For the last two weeks, due to the dryness, I have stopped “sodbusting” on any mowed or maintained lawn areas. That means no plugs, and I'm using only a screwdriver probe to retrieve targets. Well, that’s my firm plan, but I also have an exception rule: If the target looks very promising, I will cut a very deep plug to retrieve a target, and then fill the hole with water, and soak the plug before replacing it. So, the sod should not die out, it may be the only green spot in the lawn! I have done my exception only a few times out of hundreds of retrievals. I've also given up on some spots where I could not locate the target, it being too deep, or on it's side, and it will be there later for someone. Extra probing in the sod also gets a drink from the bottle. If my bottle runs low, I take a break and get a refill, and I’ve got a gallon jug in the car for that.

Since I am not digging deep targets, I am running my round 5 inch coil on the Fisher F75 Ltd2 to allow for the most precise pinpointing. I can't retrieve a target deeper than 4 inches without opening a hole, so that smaller coil keeps the temptation down. Also, I’ve been surprised how many targets I am finding in trashy area that I think would have been masked by trash, if I were using a bigger coil. I will reveal my totals at the end of the month, but I have found some “silver and wheat” out there. Also, muscles are being strengthened carrying a 48 oz water bottle on a sling, over my shoulder, along with my gear.

Anyone else have dry weather strategy for coin hunting?
Subject Author Views Posted

Extremely dry here, so no sodbusting...

Sodbuster 176 June 16, 2017 12:13PM

Dry bones . . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 142 June 19, 2017 10:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016