Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dry bones . . . . . .

June 19, 2017 10:07PM
I hear ya Sodbuster,

I'm having the same trouble here in SLC. Hot and dry. Not a good time to be prying up sod plugs if I want to be invited back.There are a couple areas that I hunt that are getting well watered, but I still worry about dried up plugs.

For me, this is a time to find some field type locations where digging of any type doesn't really matter. I managed to hunt a 'location' earlier in the month that has a lot of dirt areas under the trees and bushes. No sod plugs to die. I've hunted both the grass and dirt areas for more than 30 years and have found a lot of keepers. I don't go there much as the pickings have become very thin.

Thought I would give my relatively new Racer 2 a whirl with the 5" Cors coil and see how it would fare in the DRY dirt beneath the trees and bushes. Well, it did ok. Turned up a silver war nickel, a pair of wheaties, (one from the 30's and the other the 40's) a few copper memorials and zincolns and a nickel. Truthfully, I was expecting nothing but fresh drops as I've turned up some pretty good coins and tokens here over the years and have hunted it hard with MANY different detectors.

Coins were in the 3-6" range, well within striking distance of most detectors, YET, the Racer 2 was able to glean a few keepers from a pretty clean field.

Anyway, best of luck finding some safe areas to hunt. Hope this generates some ideas and possibilities for you.

Rich

Tesoro Golden Sabre
Tesoro Bandido
White's MXT All Pro
Minelab Etrac
Nokta Fors CoRe
Macro Racer 2
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Subject Author Views Posted

Extremely dry here, so no sodbusting...

Sodbuster 390 June 16, 2017 12:13PM

Dry bones . . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 289 June 19, 2017 10:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018