Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different era and activity ... And I have a question or two.

July 15, 2017 11:39PM avatar
Mike, first I have to say congrats on a successful day of Coin Hunting. There are times I have had to intentionally pick on a site very early, or sometimes very late. On occasion it was 'night hunting' between 10 PM and 6 AM or singling out one specific day of the week when activity waned.

You pointed out how a different era or type of activity can also be associated with the type or percentage of coinage we find. I remember well some of the Coin Hunting I did during the era of about 1988 to 1995, give or take a little here or there. While I spend the bulk of my time Relic Hunting out-of-the-way sites, I do get in as much urban search effort as I can, and it was during that period when my oldest son, and many youths in their teenage years, were addicted to video games.

It was before we had the swarm of home entertainment systems like we have today and you could find 'arcade games,' as I call them, almost anywhere. A big draw for many businesses and kids needed to carry a lot of quarters if they wanted to have a lot of game-time entertainment. Fortunately, it was also close to that same era when young folks were out of the home environment to play those games that they also were still putting in more fun time at playgrounds. Those pockets of ample quarters resulted in a lot of high percentages of quarter finds back then.

Far fewer numbers of park and playground users today, and declining over the past 15-20 years, but we do see some activity areas that still draw attention or participation, and basketball courts are one of them. Working the perimeters like you did can often be rewarding.

I'm always curious what detector(s) and coil(s) were used when I read reports of searches like yours, so if you wouldn't mind sharing what you sued I would appreciate it. Not just the make and model and coil, but also the settings.

Thanks, and continued success on your next jaunts afield.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

100 coin day, hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float Attachments

Sodbuster 389 July 15, 2017 12:48PM

Re: 100 coin day, hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float Attachments

Remfire 257 August 18, 2017 07:16PM

the 100 coin challenge ! hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Sodbuster 315 August 18, 2017 08:00PM

Re: 100 coin competiion ! hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Remfire 255 August 18, 2017 08:03PM

Re: 100 coin competiion ! hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Sodbuster 253 August 18, 2017 08:05PM

Re: 100 coin day, hooray smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Goondock 251 July 18, 2017 09:13AM

Remfire 275 July 16, 2017 11:35AM

Different era and activity ... And I have a question or two.

Monte 321 July 15, 2017 11:39PM

Re: Different era and activity ... And I have a question or two. Attachments

Sodbuster 300 July 16, 2017 11:11AM

Back to you, 'Sodbuster.'

Monte 319 July 17, 2017 08:14AM

Re: Different era and activity ... And I have a question or two.

SvenS 261 July 16, 2017 03:14PM

Keep looking Sven

Sodbuster 305 July 17, 2017 03:01PM

NWCindy 345 July 15, 2017 06:54PM

OregonGregg 298 July 15, 2017 07:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018