Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sounds like a lot of coins come through their life in good shape.

August 28, 2017 01:24AM avatar
If you only had two 1¢ and one 5¢ coin out of 1102 coins that didn't make it through the count counter, then that's really good! Naturally a lot will depend on where the coins are being found as most urban Coin Hunting these days can result in quite a few ruined Zinc cents from fertilizers, chemicals, and other nasties in the ground that eats up the zinc cents we've had in circulation for 36 years now.

Your post does, however, remind me of when I lived in the Portland, Oregon metro area where there are many, many parks and schools as well as many more people. Back in '98 I set out for a year of more concentrated Coin Hunting rather than getting away for travels like I usually would for Relic Hunting the older and distant sites.

That year I had some fun showing my monthly coin recoveries in the club's Find-of-the-Month Display category after spending the day of the evening meeting getting them all sorted, cleaned and tumbled. At the April, May, June, July and August meetings that year I would have found and cleaned between 1900 and 2250 coins .... each month. That did spark some new enthusiasm in several club members which in turn brought me more competition in the coming year, but I was back to Relic Hunting most of the time anyway.

In '01 we moved back to Utah from March thru September, and living in a Salt Lake City suburb I had no trouble getting out to continue filling jars of coins, at least it was in-between making my 1-2 hour drives to Utah and Nevada ghost towns, or working the very frequent renovation in older parts of the towns that usually yielded more dated coins and trade tokens.

In September of '01 we moved to Bend, Oregon, which you know well. Not as many people there 26 years ago, and definitely not the amount of coins in potential sites, even when I made the drive to Redmond, Madras and Prineville to try and scrounge up a bunch of modern change. It also didn't have me close to as many old-use places to hunt, either, and both my Coin AND Relic Hunting production slacked off quite a bit.

Then it was back to the Portland metro area by November of '02 and more people = more coins to be found. A dwindling percentage compared to years before, but certainly more opportunities where there were more people. I didn't care for the average of 222 days-a-year where it was overcast w/o sun, and the excess amount of wet, rainy days that are so depressing, but your post gets me thinking about making some 3-5 day trips over that direction periodically just to do some higher-production Coin Hunting.

Living in much smaller Arlington and Vale Oregon over the past 4+ years has resulted in a very sparse annual coin-count tally. It has put me into much more favorable weather, and the pleasure of being more remote with far fewer people around with several old Relic Hunting sites within a closer drive, so that part I enjoy.

Your post has me now calendaring some potential Coin & Jewelry Hunting trips to Western Oregon this coming fall and winter. it would definitely help me work on my current annual coin tally as I am way behind the goal I set to start the year. Of course back then we didn't know we would be snowed in January thru March where we seldom see anything close to what we got. You still have a lot more people around where you live than I do here so the best of success to you on all your detecting jaunts. thumbs up Keep right on finding all the coins, and other keepers, you possibly can.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Cashed my coins

Remfire 353 August 27, 2017 10:18AM

Re: Cashed my coins

Sodbuster 223 August 28, 2017 09:49AM

Zinc cents and post-recovery decay.

Monte 335 August 29, 2017 03:25AM

Re: Zinc cents and post-recovery decay.

Sodbuster 218 August 29, 2017 08:46PM

Mike, I tumble Zinc & Copper cents, as well as

Monte 231 August 31, 2017 04:34AM

Re: Cashed my coins

Remfire 236 August 28, 2017 12:18PM

Sounds like a lot of coins come through their life in good shape.

Monte 258 August 28, 2017 01:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018