Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A one day long "thaw opportunity"

January 12, 2018 04:15PM
We've had a long cold spell here in Michigan. Tuesday and Wednesday were above freezing with some rain and then Wednesday night we had temperatures rising and by Thursday to the mid 50's. Overnight the snow was gone. Thursday, I took my dog out walking, as I do every day, and we went to a park with soccer and baseball fields. Since the snow was gone, except for the piles left along the paved walking paths, I grabbed a stiff piece of wire scavenged from the trash and made a probe to check for frost. Everything close to the pathways, which had been exposed to the cold was still frozen solid. However, out on the soccer field, there was only frost where there had been no snow cover due to wind. We went home, got the F75 out and got another year with hunting in January. We were out only about an hour and a half, but it was fun. Some places were in the half-thawed state, but it was mostly just crystals of frost left. I had to leave a few "coin targets" due to undiggable frosty ground, but got twenty clad coins, one wheatie, and one Canadian cent.

Last night (Thursday night) it snowed 3-4 inches, temps below freezing with a forecast below zero tonight. It was fun while it lasted. Back to winter. Wishing for spring.
Subject Author Views Posted

A one day long "thaw opportunity"

Sodbuster 235 January 12, 2018 04:15PM

Congrats on also getting an early January detecting start! smiling bouncing smiley

Monte 194 January 13, 2018 03:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018