Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich (Utah), comments, and you have a great 'imagination.'.

December 01, 2018 07:56AM avatar
Rich (Utah)
Monte,

Admirable that you're still able to get out and do some detecting. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having a lot of pain. I think John Wayne is credited with the quote that "getting old isn't for pussies", or something like that. I can't argue against the point. I guess that makes a lot of us some tough old goats dealing with injuries old and new, illness and disease. I guess we set our determination and do the best we can with what's left.
The constant pain that decides to flare up at will is a major frustration, and diabetes has to be one of thee worst 'diseases' we humans can face. That's my biggest struggle, and if we aren't "tough old goats" then it makes it even more challenging to get by day-to-day. You're right, we have to be determined.

Rich (Utah)
I'm looking forward to making a change or two in my detector lineup this winter, going over equipment, doing some research and prepping for this next spring. I imagine you'll be doing the same.
Of course being 'determined' means we also have to do a little give-and-take at times, and I'm starting to give in a bit. I've been 'determined' to resist the urges from doctors since 1991 and try to fight the battle by getting out as often as I used to. This dense old 'goat noggin' has finally realized they've been right and I need to take a serious look at reducing the durations of my hunts, and some of the struggles of trying to take on rough terrain thinking that maybe it will help strengthen me.

Yes, it is 'cabin fever season' and for decades that has meant I had time-to-tinker. I'd look back at the performance I had, or didn't have, during the year with models in my Detector Outfit, then take it easy with some indoor, out-of-the-cold 'bench tests' to do side-by-side comparisons. Then, as your "great imagination" has perceived, I do some adjusting and trimming. Miss Rikki doesn't give me any grief about my assemblage of detectors to own or try so I tend to own several and do some buying/selling/trading to use winter's confinement to adjust my Outfit.

I have a used Fisher F44 due to arrive on Monday and I'll compare it with other FTP models I currently own (Omega 8000's) or models I have recently used in that lower to mid-priced range (F-19, Euro-Tek Pro, Treasure Pro and G2+) and see if it has a working place in my Regular-Use Detector Team. I enjoy each of my current models, but due to my physical limitations and mobility issues, I know I have to do some adjusting/trimming to make sure my detecto0rs are as light weight as possible, yet give me the performance I want for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and especially for more serious Relic Hunting in tough iron debris environments.

Until I can no longer get out for any detecting, I know my two all-time favorite Tesoro models are staying put. I'll also keep at least one Teknetics Omega 8000, and not part with my modified White's Classic ID with the choice 5½" Concentric Ferret coil. As we go into 2019 I know that I'll be transferring more of my assigned detecting time to urban Coin Hunting and these models and others I own can handle most site choices. Some of these 'city beepers' can do OK in sparse-target Relic Hunting sites, but for the nastiest, ugliest, most ferrous contaminated places I most enjoy, the Nokta-Makro offerings simply have the competition beat with the FORS CoRe and FORS Relic.

So while I give some thought to adding one or two lightweight and functional detectors, I also plan on trimming several models from both my Regular-Use Detector Team as well as my Specialty-Use units I have on-hand for seminars or group presentations. The good thing is that because I am very picky in my detector selection and pamper everything I own and use, all of the detectors under my roof are in really great condition and work properly, just as they should

Rich (Utah)
I appreciate the efforts you've made with the WTHO's and AHRP's. It's always nice to gather with friends whether in the field or here on the forum. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float
I have to admit we have had a terrific group of attendees make it to the nine Welcome-to-Hunt Outings over the past four years, and I am hoping we have some participants step up to help 'Host a WTHO' in the coming seasons. It's an easy task, and we might get some fresher sites to hunt in different parts of the country in 2019.

To date we have held 2 WTHO's in Oregon and the other 7 WTHO's have been in Nevada. Unless someone wants to 'Host' an Outing in April, it looks like our 10th WTHO I'll be hosting in Utah in probably five months, in early May. Probably the 9th thrru12th but I'll confirm that and make that announcement in the next few weeks.

So make your 'thinning out and restructuring' done in time to be ready for some closer to (your) home detecting coming very soon.

Monte

PS: I know you have me very curious about which units you plan to thin out and which to hang on to. thinking

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Went detecting with Monte and the "New Kid" Attachments

OregonGregg 130 November 20, 2018 07:47PM

Re: Went detecting with Monte and the "New Kid"

Kickindirt 51 November 22, 2018 01:29PM

It was a fun day, and maybe the last for the year.

Monte 72 November 21, 2018 01:37PM

To Everything there is a season . . . . Winter is here.

Rich (Utah) 41 December 01, 2018 01:19AM

Rich (Utah), comments, and you have a great 'imagination.'.

Monte 33 December 01, 2018 07:56AM

Update on my cleaned 'Tiny Trade Token.' Attachments

Monte 61 November 27, 2018 07:28AM

Re: Update on my cleaned 'Tiny Trade Token.'

Goondock 39 November 27, 2018 12:49PM

Washed off dirt ... Used Flitz and a rubbing rag. N/T

Monte 39 November 28, 2018 11:08AM

Round 2, back to Rippville....... Attachments

OregonGregg 80 November 21, 2018 08:32PM

Re: Round 2, back to Rippville.......

Kickindirt 41 November 22, 2018 01:27PM

Button -- Button. Who found the button?

Monte 52 November 22, 2018 02:10AM

Re: Button -- Button. Who found the button?

OregonGregg 43 November 22, 2018 04:56AM

zincoln 49 November 21, 2018 08:42PM

OregonGregg 40 November 22, 2018 04:50AM

NWCindy 43 November 21, 2018 08:38PM

Timbertodd 55 November 21, 2018 07:23AM

OregonGregg 39 November 22, 2018 04:44AM

NWCindy 62 November 20, 2018 08:04PM

BTW, I am the “New Kid”

Pneumaticninja 49 November 22, 2018 02:27PM

Re: BTW, I am the “New Kid”

OregonGregg 42 November 23, 2018 09:19AM

Another 'Welcome' to the AHRPS Forums.

Monte 127 November 23, 2018 08:39AM

Re: BTW, I am the “New Kid”

Remfire 44 November 22, 2018 05:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018