Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Old Stage Stop

December 14, 2018 12:51PM
Thanks. We are definitely flipped here, our summers are so hot and dry my detecting season is in the fall and winter. I got a gold pick this year to use in the dry ground, but am always scared at damaging items chipping them out of the rock hard soil. That and the 110+ temps keep me inside alot or night hunting. I usually start in October but had a good deer tag for this year and spent a lot of time hunting, although my eyes are always scanning for historic sites too and I get distracted easily by the signs of old habitation, lol

I was going to head out today for another hunt but rain is moving in. I need to invest in a waterproof or resistant detector for days like this. I don't mind a little mud but do not want to damage my machines.

I too am sold on the small coils, and am glad you promote them so heavily. I use my NEL sharp shooter or Tornado to locate nails or in more open sites, but once I find the nails I put on the 5" T2 coil, or the 5.75" tesoro coil. Honestly the 5.75 coil never leaves my Silver or Eldorado any more as they are my iron machines. There is something satisfying at pulling good targets out of such challenging conditions, and I have gotten to where I do not mind moving slowly over sites. The small coils get me the best finds, and the tones are always better when over a good target.

Normally I take multiple machines to adjust to conditions better, but was also looking for a school house located in between two sites. I was using the T2 with the huge tornado coil to walk the acres/miles of ground looking for the nails to locate the school and the other homesteads. No luck on the school yet but have it narrowed down to a much smaller area of where it could be. These sites burned in 1901 and there are not foundations or markings to help locate a lot of these sites, the nails and glass are the only clues. Its a nice rarity to locate rock walls to help narrow the sites down.

I will post up my next outing. I need to cut some wood and have a nice homesite where I usually go. It is used for modern round ups but the house debris is still there, and I have some pictures of the site circa 1890s. It would be fun if I can line the pictures up with the site, but fires and time has changed a lot over the years.
Subject Author Views Posted

Old Stage Stop Attachments

Fish N Chips 119 December 13, 2018 03:58PM

Re: Old Stage Stop Attachments

NWCindy 78 December 15, 2018 08:30PM

Fish N Chips 47 December 15, 2018 09:57PM

NWCindy 58 December 15, 2018 10:01PM

OregonGregg 55 December 14, 2018 02:26PM

Fish N Chips 59 December 14, 2018 12:51PM

Old Stage Stop ... Making us cabin fever folks jealous.

Monte 67 December 14, 2018 11:26AM

Druid 52 December 13, 2018 06:19PM

Timbertodd 43 December 13, 2018 04:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018