Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rich (Utah), here's a little history lesson when doing research.

January 29, 2019 05:37AM avatar
Research Session:
Weber County Library
Ogden, Utah
Early May 1969

Preparation and Organization Materials On-Hand:
• Folder to hold photo-copied information.
• 8½X11 lined notebook paper for note taking.
• Pencils, old-style and not mechanical so they required periodic sharpening.
• Ample amount of change for the photo-copy machine at the library.
• Good rapport with the librarians to have access to the usually locked Special Collections Room downstairs.

Time Management:
Allow ample time to access materials in Special Collections, or in the file drawers of old newspaper clippings, reviewing micro stuff of older newspapers, and other material in the Reference section that can not be checked out.

Things I Did Wrong:
• Always kept ALL of my ongoing research notes and information in two manila folders I took with me.
• Only had two #2 pencils that required periodic sharpening.
• Trusted the environment in the newer, quiet, comfortable County Library.
• Took a lot of notes, made a lot of photocopies, and wore down both pencils. Stepped away to make one photocopy and sharpen both pencils.

Lessons Learned:
Do not trust anyone.
Keep all researched notes and photocopies in a secure locking clipboard.
Always keep ALL materials with you to be secure.
Do NOT move away to sharpen pencils, make photocopies, or for any reason leave your important materials left unwatched.

I stepped over to make one photocopy and sharpen two pencils, and when I returned to the table, ALL of my folders and research notes were gone! At the time, you would hardly ever see anyone out and about in-town with a metal detector. My brother, Ed, and I would be out detecting almost everyday all about the Ogden area and get questions from people about what it was we were doing and ask what that thing was we were using. Some thought it was a new fangled worm finder or one of the newer devices for cutting weeds.

But there were a few others around who were also getting into the hobby but didn't want to be in public and they just went to out-of-the-way locations. I met a few people who, like me, were interested in the early history of the area, and it was 1969 and closing in on the 100 year anniversary of the "wedding of the Rails" at Golden Spike, and they were just finishing the brand new Golden Spike National Monument to be officially opened on May 10th of that year.

Maybe my much younger face was recognized by someone who saw a photo of me in the Ogden Substandard Exaggerator (more properly known as the Ogden Standard Examiner) from April 17th, just two or three weeks earlier? Those news people were referred to see me in Special Collections where I was doing research and, along with a photo they took of me looking at a small replica of the trains meeting at Promontory Summit, they didn't quote things correctly. I think they typed in the caption that I was part of a Relic Hunters Association or something like that.

Anyway, since I kept all my researched notes with me, all in the two folders, I lost everything and would have to start all my research over again. That was just a couple of days before I made my very first metal detecting visit to 'Twin Flats' Utah (a site we know buy my assigned name that readers won't find on a map or in books). My research took a detour as some unknown Uncle borrowed my services for a while. Sam I believe he was called, and on May 14th I got new sleeping arrangements, ate very different food, and got to tour a far away land that was even greener and much wetter than the Portland Oregon area ... and I don't like rain. sad smiley

When I took care of patching things up that needed to be fixed (I was a medic) I retuned home to pick up where I left off and start my research over. Most of the older gals at the library were still there and when I tried to find a lot of the news articles I had photocopied before, they were gone. A lot of information I had found on several old town sites had vanished faster than the former inhabitants, and in talking with the library gals they told me they had noticed it over about the six month to a year period after my folders of researched materials had been taken off the table.

Sorry for the rambling tale but it's meant as a word of caution to not let your notes and such go unwatched. Today, I have one of those bright orange enclosed binder / clipboards so I always have my information with me. It's not that I don't trust anybody, just that I don't trust anybody. It has become more and more difficult to find some information about the past so I wish you all the best of success in your researching efforts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Not terrific, but a ghost town hunt without being skunked. thumbs up

Monte 84 January 28, 2019 05:31PM

Re: Not terrific, but a ghost town hunt without being skunked. thumbs up

Cal_Cobra 17 February 21, 2019 10:10AM

A ghost town hunt without being skunked. thumbs up

Rich (Utah) 12 February 21, 2019 01:59PM

zincoln 41 January 28, 2019 10:03PM

So true, 'zincoln,' I do enjoy finding Trade Tokens.thumbs up N/T

Monte 39 January 29, 2019 04:18AM

NWCindy 45 January 28, 2019 09:49PM

NWCindy 32 January 28, 2019 09:37PM

Yep, was fun to get out again... Attachments

OregonGregg 77 January 28, 2019 06:51PM

Re: Yep, was fun to get out again...

Cal_Cobra 13 February 21, 2019 10:12AM

Elbert 34 January 31, 2019 11:38AM

OregonGregg 36 February 01, 2019 08:12AM

Our "friendly silver coin challenge" went to Gregg by 2 or 3 silvers. N/T

Monte 43 February 01, 2019 07:36AM

You will get him this year Monte, N/T

Elbert 36 February 01, 2019 11:55AM

Fingers are crossed ... but '19 is starting out sluggish. N/T

Monte 35 February 02, 2019 01:44AM

Re: You will get him this year Monte,

OregonGregg 33 February 01, 2019 04:04PM

By the way, Gregg, that tricky question I asked about your Indian Head ....

Monte 50 January 29, 2019 08:42AM

Fun to get out again...

Rich (Utah) 45 January 28, 2019 07:07PM

Rich (Utah), here's a little history lesson when doing research.

Monte 43 January 29, 2019 05:37AM

Re: Rich (Utah), here's a little history lesson when doing research.

Druid 39 January 29, 2019 11:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018