Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To RickUK and Cal_Cobra.

February 24, 2019 10:36AM avatar
RickUK
i thought i was in for a tremendous detecting journey, i had the X5 just under 2 years i guess and gave it 100s and 100s of hours of use ... i can say it was the worst detector that i have ever owned ...

that thing had the worst discrimination setup going and just loved iron,

Without doubt the worst detector that i have ever owned and also the only one that i have ever sold as well.
After being very familiar with the performance of the Tesoro products, and having owned the Shadow X2 which was a Tesoro-built model that was simply a Silver Sabre microMAX with a 'Coin Check' button added, I also hoped the Fisher-assembled Shadow X5 would be an impressive detector for the serious Relic Hunting sites I enjoy working where dense iron debris is the toughest challenge. There were times, off-and-on, when it seemed to be working OK, but more often than not I got frustrated with the Discrimination performance and the goofy tie-in between the Discrimination setting and the manual Ground Balance setting as a change to one could off-set the other.

Through the decades I have bought-and-sold or traded for-and-sold countless detectors for a lot of response. Too heavy, poorly balanced, lack of performance, too complex to enjoy, terrible audio response, inefficient Discrimination control, and on, and on. Most often I never missed them, but sometimes there were things I liked, but as an overall package they just didn't get it right. The Shadow X5 fit in the "I don' miss it" category.

Cal_Cobra
I don't really understand the appeal of these machines. Manufacture is gone, so if anything goes wrong with it, you're on your own, and there are far better detectors out there these days. If someone just wants a nostalgic walk down memory lane to play with these old machines, then sure I can see it.

I always wanted to play around with a Treasure Barron with all the modules, but unless I found one cheap, I'd probably just stick to my Racer2, Multi Kruzer and Equinox 800, they seem to be doing pretty good.
I do keep a few older models around, partly in the 'nostalgic' category and also because I use them in a seminar to demonstrate how things used to work in the progression to where we are today. Like my old Compass Coin Hustler TR, or my Garrett Master Hunter TR-Disc. and American S2 TR-Disc. models. They look really good, work properly, and bring back a lot of fond memories of days gone by. But they aren't in the same performance class like we have today.

As for the Treasure Baron series, I had them, but I sure don't miss them, especially for hunting in heavy iron contaminated ghost towns. They were heavy and had poor balance, but I did like the small open-center 5½" Concentric coil. I had several modules in mine, or handy to install if I wanted, but the push-button iron rejection feature was what really resulted in terrible performance.

Matter-of-fact, it was 25 years ago this Memorial Day Weekend when I was travelling from Portland to Phoenix to do week-long class on Recreational Metal Detecting at the college, when I spent the weekend at the ghost town of Frisco Utah with friends and club members on the holiday weekend. I was evaluating the Treasure Baron and a couple of other newer models in heavy iron nail concentrations when I moved up to the top of "school hill" where the school once stood. No structure, but a countless number of nails, everywhere, and in close relationship. You could hardly take a step without your foot being on one or more nails.

Then I eyeballed an Indian Head Cent on top of the ground and it was surrounded by four iron nails of different sizes and a scattered orientation. I had my clipboard along to take notes which gave me the opportunity to press a page over the nails and Indian Head to duplicate their exact placement and orientation. But first, I wanted to check the detectors I was using, especially the Treasure Baron. It had worked OK in urban Coin Hunting places but didn't seem to do too well in a renovation site or two with iron.

So I checked that lay-out of 4 Nails and 1 Indian Head cent, and when I pressed the Iron Disc. button, not only were the nails undetectable, but so was the 188? Indian Head. I called three fellows up to check that layout with their different White's 4-filter models, one with an 8" Concentric and the other two with the standard 950 Concentric. (That was their first old town hunt as they were just urban Coin Shooters and didn't have a smaller-size coil.) Needless to say, without a smaller coil, and using a higher Discriminate setting they were used to for parks and such, none of them got a single 'beep' on the Indian Head from any direction.

I called my friend and hunting buddy up the hill to demonstrate her Tesoro Silver Sabre (original) and Debbie got a hit on every sweep as she walked around it, and we demonstrated why they needed a smaller-size search coil, like her 7" Concentric, as well as a quick-response & fast-recovery detector.

I then was able to imprint their exact positions, then recovered the Indian Head and four nails. Before the class started I used some glue and a solid piece of cardboard and laid out their exact orientation so I could use that in a demonstration of an actual good target in a dense iron nail encounter ... and that was how my Nail Board Performance Test came about. Also the realization that, for serious ferrous debris sites, the Treasure Baron just didn't cut it.

There were a few shady business things that also occurred on the last day of the class so I sold my Treasure Baron and all the gear I had, and for a quarter century now I haven't had the slightest desire to reacquire one. I was also personally pleased when I watched Discovery Electronics go under, but that's another story.

No nostalgia there that I would want in my arsenal, nor with the Shadow X5. I don't like glitches and/or poor performance, not when I take this great sport serious and want to enjoy my time afield and have 'fun.'

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Like finding a relic

Kickindirt 183 February 12, 2019 05:02PM

Well, I hope your short-lived company offering works okay.

Monte 125 February 13, 2019 11:25AM

Re: Well, I hope your short-lived company offering works okay.

Kickindirt 79 February 13, 2019 04:54PM

RickUK 69 February 13, 2019 12:46PM

Cal_Cobra 83 February 22, 2019 12:07PM

To RickUK and Cal_Cobra.

Monte 81 February 24, 2019 10:36AM

Re: hey Cal Cobra

Kickindirt 74 February 24, 2019 12:53AM

Re: Like finding a relic

NWCindy 104 February 12, 2019 06:14PM

Kickindirt 83 February 12, 2019 06:45PM

NWCindy 79 February 14, 2019 08:35PM

OregonGregg 67 February 12, 2019 06:53PM

Kickindirt 58 February 12, 2019 07:59PM

OregonGregg 57 February 12, 2019 10:48PM

Kickindirt 94 February 12, 2019 11:02PM

OregonGregg 87 February 13, 2019 12:34PM

Tough to hunt places.

Rich (Utah) 64 February 13, 2019 02:32PM

Re: Tough to hunt places.

Kickindirt 53 February 13, 2019 04:31PM

thumbs up

Remfire 52 February 13, 2019 02:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018