Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Recommendations for hitting the homestead

May 01, 2019 09:55AM
Hello Jadon,

You've made excellent period finds on your family's property, and that local CC mint Morgan is likley something i'll never find. Still not CC mint marks for me.

Kickindirt's advise was excellent. On sites that are productive, I always hit them with my 3 detectors and combine the various coils i have for them....and i always find something i missed with the other machine combinations. Our hobby is a funny thing where those subtle changes in setup uncover new finds.

Now, if you have not done so, search the site from a perpendicular angle or a diagonal to your regular pattern. This helps unmask if you are dealing w/ any iron. If you have iron, pay close attention to signals that bounce/chatter near iron - you may have 2 items in the hole.

Finally, if this has been plowed many times, you may have good targets down 8 inches or more. THose targets may be on on angle. They may be at the limits of your detectors VDI capabilities. A 6" coil is unlikely to find that 8" target, so use a large enough coil to get the max depth you can for your dirt. When i'm hunting deep targets, i'm not hunting the VDI, but rather looking at the VDI trend. If i set my audibly accepted VDI's to -10 on white's machines (just into iron) and up to 94/95 (top of whites range), i watch to see if a deep target stays witin that range and/or occassionally blips outside of the range. I often find that that deep target may be good but is too deep to place significant meaning on the VDI. Lastly, do you know what an 8 inch nickel does on your machine? If not, bury one and practice and pay attention to what your detector tells you.

Zincoln
Subject Author Views Posted

Recommendations for hitting the homestead

Jadon_PDX 95 April 30, 2019 07:57PM

zincoln 58 May 01, 2019 09:55AM

Kickindirt 69 April 30, 2019 09:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018