Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MAPS! ... George, your computer tallents and generosity are appreciated!thumbs up

May 22, 2019 07:49AM avatar
I have had several RR sites saved on my computer for at least seven years now. When I lived in Arlington, Oregon I started trying to track down some old maps to prepare for some future Outings. I'd get carried away reading some of the history about the Transcontinental RR building and would get distracted from my 'Map Tracking.' I did find a lot of useful and informative bits of info, but haven't been successful using the sources I saved to locate any maps of the town sites.

What you provided in this post is very useful, and I mean each of the RR maps you provided. It would be nice to find something similar that would show the bulk of the town of Metropolis that was farther away from the RR depot area, but it does show the location of the Park that was built in 1912. That, alone, makes a good start at locating some key areas of the site to hunt.

The RR map for Toano shows where the first Toano site was in late 1860's, and the location where they moved it, as well as other locations along the RR route. All older period Maps, as well as any Photos we can find about similar towns or historic operations of interest provide a lot of added help for us.

Because we have a bulk of those interested in the Welcome-to-Hunt Outings who prefer to search ghost towns and other out-of-the-way sites, it can be quite useful to all WTHO Participants as well as devoted and active metal detecting Hobbyists to Avid Detectorists who enjoy the AHRPS.org Forums to read about and follow the contributions of others, the sites they hunt and finds they make and post on the different Forums. Also, to read the specific metal detector brand Forums. I think I ought to make a new Historic Era Map and Photo Forum.

I'll work on this new Forum and have it up this week. But it will be a two-step method to get Maps and Photo's because a lot of open posting will not keep it organized. Instead, I will ask folks, like you, to follow Step 1 and e-mail me the links to specific locations. I will then complete Step 2 to alphabetically sort maps and photos by site name (such as Cobre, Metropolis, Toano, etc.) and compile the info which I will then post on the new Forum.

The site will not be open to anyone to post other maps or to add comments and discussions. It will ONLY be a Reference Site for people to view the maps. They can jot down info and do other research on their own, if desired, and that will eliminate distractions on that Forum. Anyone can easily reference a particular Map or Photo and have a discussion on the General Metal Detecting Forum if they would like.

I'll use your post, here, as a start to get the new Forum up and going. If you find any other links to old, historic era Maps and Photos, or anyone else, I would appreciate you e-mailing the links to me and we'll get the ball rolling. Anyone e-mailing links should make sure they include the source of the link; the description of the specific site location and year/era of the information; and any related information about the specific map or Photo.

I commend you on your efforts to track down important and helpful / needed maps like this.

Everyone would e-mail the information to me at: monte@ahrps.org and in the Subject Heading type M&P Info and perhaps a specific Site or State Name, such as: M&P of Choo Choo Depot, Wyoming or perhaps a non-RR location like M&P of Wet Creek Stage Stop, Arizona and include info like the period of activity of the site, name of the stage lines or RR outfits that used the location, etc.

The new Forum will have the locations listed in Alphabetical Order, first by state then my location.

I invite any and all devoted members of this great sport to help add to this new Forum. 'Thank You', George, and a Thanks to all other contributors.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Nokta-Makro:(3), Teknetics:(1), Tesoro:(4), White's:(1), XP:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ghost town hunt factor Attachments

glabelle 113 May 20, 2019 10:21AM

A Ghost Town "hunt factor" is a serious consideration. Been doing it since late 1968.

Monte 75 May 21, 2019 01:04AM

A Ghost Town "hunt factor"... Part 2. → What I factor in for those Nevada towns.

Monte 66 May 21, 2019 07:19AM

Re: A Ghost Town "hunt factor"... Part 2. - Giving back Attachments

glabelle 71 May 21, 2019 08:55AM

A terrific photo! Thank You!thumbs up

Monte 59 May 21, 2019 09:42AM

More maps Attachments

glabelle 93 May 21, 2019 04:38PM

MAPS! ... George, your computer tallents and generosity are appreciated!thumbs up

Monte 46 May 22, 2019 07:49AM

Re: More maps

NWCindy 42 May 22, 2019 05:08AM

Re: A Ghost Town "hunt factor" - refinement Attachments

glabelle 58 May 21, 2019 08:50AM

Re: A Ghost Town "hunt factor" - refinement

OregonGregg 52 May 21, 2019 09:01AM

Re: A Ghost Town "hunt factor" - refinement

glabelle 44 May 21, 2019 09:08AM

Re: Ghost town hunt factor

Kickindirt 57 May 20, 2019 07:47PM

silverhound2 57 May 20, 2019 10:08PM

Kickindirt 43 May 20, 2019 11:12PM

Ghost town hunt factor

UtahRich 62 May 20, 2019 02:02PM

My target

glabelle 70 May 20, 2019 02:33PM

What is my Window of Expectation?

UtahRich 43 May 20, 2019 11:34PM

Re: My target

NWCindy 49 May 20, 2019 04:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018