Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hunt Time = Too Short, Terrain = Too Tangly and Steep, Temperature = Too Hot / Too-Soon..

August 20, 2019 04:12AM avatar
Skies were a vivid blue and totally cloudless (See Gregg's last two photos for example.). I was working up-slope fro my vehicle from where Gregg was hunting, and that's challenging enough for me to maneuver. All the very dense sagebrush, and not the tiny growth stuff (Again, see Gregg's 2nd and 3rd photo's for example.) made it an even more difficult morning for me. My ability to get around is more challenging than just five years ago and that had me tripping often and breaking a fall three times. Then there are the 'getting-back-up' challenges from target recoveries that wear me out quickly.

However, if you want to hunt the better sites you have to deal with life's struggles. Besides, I wanted to purposefully hunt some more heavily ferrous littered areas as I am still putting in time with my XP ORX to better learn it. I had to work up-hill a short distance as it was getting hotter, and I was snagging up and stumbling more with the intent to change detectors and work a different, more open and flatter area (after a short rest and break for an ice-cold diet soda). I am really enjoying the ORX w/5X9½ HF DD coil for its light weight and comfortable package. Plus I really like the audio information that kind of talks to you about the target make-up.

OregonGregg
Unforntantly Monte didn't get any coins. Perhaps on the next time out, he will choose to use a proper machine and coil combo grinning smiley
That's just Gregg's way of funnin' with me because I was using an XP product, that I happen to enjoy, and not one of my other two, and very proven, Nokta devices, the FORS CoRe and FORS Relic. I was heading back to my vehicle to get a drink and swap units for my Relic w/5" DD because that's really my '#1-to-Grab' preferred detector for tackling very dense iron contaminated areas.

Gregg has been trimming his personal detector arsenal recently and has his favorites and, for now, he says he has what he needs for where he hunts and isn't looking to acquire another detector. That's much like a post from UtahRich on the General Metal Detecting Forum where he just stated:

UtahRich
In reality, I have the detectors I need for my interests and am not looking to add anything.
In Rich's cases, he stated his main-use detectors are a Minelab EQ-800, XP Deus and Nokta FORS CoRe, with the first two being favored most of the time, but all three great picks for hunting iron choked ghost towns and other places he seeks out.

So, that's what I had been using, but a little over 2 hours with a lot of tripping and dealing with the site conditions, plus the heat as it was closing in on late morning/noon, just had me call it quits before I broke out my Nokta Relic. Next time!

I'll make up for it as soon as hints of fall weather arrive and I'll put in a few hunting days while Gregg's busy since his real-work season begins.

I found the typical doo-dads but no coins. As usual, we all have our good days and bad days, and I've had more of the latter type the last few outings so it should do a turn-around and reward me with a series of more rewarding times-afield ..... soon! I need to shop for a camping rig so I can make the trip to a site and linger for several days and limit my driving time.

I do want to give another 'Thanks' to Gregg for the added photos showing his dogs having fun at the reservoir on the return home. If I knew there were stopping there I would have dropped by with Miss Rikki. Rikki & Binker play, a LOT, and Rikki likes to roll in the dirt and dig in the dirt, so you don't want to pat her back once she gets in the vehicle. Dust cloud!

I stopped at the creek on the way home and Rikki got well soaked to rid herself of most of the dirt. Then she played in the hose as I turned that on after we got home.

I usually don't tote my phone afield, nor hike back to get it, so I don't take any attractive, in-the-field photos ... when I do make good finds.winking smiley Gregg and some others do go out-of-their-way to post finds photos and it does add to the contributed posts. Even if it is a slightly damaged, 109 year old 'V' Nickel. Congratulations! Another good recovery from an ugly and difficult site using a proven-performer detector.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

A fun day detecting.... Attachments

OregonGregg 186 August 16, 2019 06:32PM

Almost a repeat day... Attachments

OregonGregg 124 August 19, 2019 03:44PM

Hunt Time = Too Short, Terrain = Too Tangly and Steep, Temperature = Too Hot / Too-Soon..

Monte 66 August 20, 2019 04:12AM

Proper Detectors.

UtahRich 84 August 19, 2019 10:47PM

I was using my XP ORX. He meant I should have had my CoRe or Relic.

Monte 74 August 20, 2019 04:16AM

Good site to hujnt ... Good Indian Head ... Great Photos!

Monte 103 August 16, 2019 11:16PM

A well earned prize!

UtahRich 94 August 16, 2019 10:53PM

Another good day!

zincoln 95 August 16, 2019 10:32PM

Lone Tree is getting tough........

OregonGregg 124 August 17, 2019 04:10AM

Re: Lone Tree is getting tough........

Tom Slick 72 August 21, 2019 11:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018