Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An end of the season journey to 'Switchback.'

September 25, 2019 08:06AM avatar
This is another old gold mining era ghost town site in a mountainous and semi-open area that had a lot of recent rain. That left the only main access road a challenge as several very deep ruts were now filled with water, leaving them muddy and slick. Supposed to have a few more days and nights with showers -to- rain and Saturday night to Monday night a possible snow shower mixed in. Likely not to have access again until next spring-to-summer even though last Saturday was quite pleasant.

On that journey with me I was followed by Dan'o, who wanted to experience very dense iron debris in ghost towns apart from the urban Coin Hunting sites he's been enjoying, and my oldest son, Monte Jr. and his three kids. I had an assortment of detectors along that I take on my travels and to demonstrate to Dan'o using an assortment of my favorite Test Samples. The model I mainly hunted with was my Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil, and Monte Jr. used his FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD. Dan'o brought his Makro Racer 2 w/5" DD and hunted a little while, and after some of the demonstrations he wanted to use the Relic I had for sale with the 5" DD coil.

None of us were able to chance upon an old coin or trade token, but we did come upon some neateries in our efforts. I'll figure out my phone and get some photos and add them later, but I did find a slightly squished but restorable (I hope) Thimble. The other two items were just metal lids, but it's often interesting to read about the product they were associated with and see the details on them and learn the company's history.

One is a silver-dollar size lid for Palmolive Cream. A little more common, but I got a kick out of the Palm Tree on the lid that was much out of character with the location where I found it. The other was more interesting and had me excited when first exposed as it is about Quarter to Half-Dollar size and just clean enough for me to see a '50' and 'cents' on one side as I looked down. I was hoping I found a Trade Token.

It's another metal lid with the following inscription:

In Tubes and Jars .. 25 and 50 ... Cents
Solon Palmer .. Perfumer .. N.Y.

That was the interesting one to hear about as Monte Jr. looked it up on his phone when we stopped for dinner on the way home. Solon, by the way, was the fellow's first name.

Those lids and the thimble were all found in a somewhat more level area of about 10'X20'. A lot of other signals in there mixed with dense snaggy weeds, rusty tin, and other ferrous and non-ferrous debris. It will call for more continued slow-and-methodical work to give that space better coverage. Definitely a good hint that it was associated with an old house site, and those can always be rewarding ... or have the potential to be. Oh, I also found an old fork about 50' off to the west from this location.

It's going to be a long fall and winter season to have to wait before I can work that site again, but we do still have up to four other lower-elevation old sites to pick on when we get average seasonal weather breaks the next couple of months. Less detecting the next several months but more time to do some research on locations for WTHO's for 2020.

Saturday was, however, a beautiful day that didn't even have a hint of a late fall or winter feel to it and we were just about to start fall. Very scenic drive (except for the muddy sections) where I saw about 7 healthy deer and two flocks of wild turkeys, the larger number would have been 2 to 3 dozen.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II ┬ÁMAX and Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

An end of the season journey to 'Switchback.'

Monte 102 September 25, 2019 08:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018