Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enjoy the 'XP Juice' but caution with the Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

October 16, 2019 06:18PM avatar
Congrats on the great finds and the discussion on Monday. Also, 'Thank You' for mentioning the coil used and operating frequency.

In the most recent years we have seen a lot of move in the industry, especially with a couple of manufacturers, to make and promote their detectors that work at a much higher operating frequency than what we have relied on as 'normal.' By 'normal' I am referring to those most popular detectors that work in the VLF range (Very Low Frequency which is 1 kHz to 30 kHz) with the bulk of the more popular detectors working between 5 kHz and 20 kHz. The well know and respected design engineer, George Payne, determined that 12.5 kHz was just about the ideal all-around, general-purpose frequency for most metal detecting hobbyists (the bulk of us are Coin & Jewelry Hunters), and that's the frequency he used when he designed his last production metal detector.

When I consider the 12.5 kHz frequency, I figured that was just about right as it compared with most of the detectors I had been using for over a decade that were ±2.5 kHz from that, operating from 10 kHz to 15 kHz. A ± of just 2.5 is still a reasonably tight variance, and even today the bulk of my detectors are single-frequency models in that 10-15 kHz range or a multi-frequency that has a default start-up in that range.

My Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX are 10 kHz, a Teknetics T2+ at 13 kHz, the Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi default and Racer 2 are 14 kHz, the XP ORX in my program starts at 14.4 kHz and my very trusty Nokta CoRe is 15 kHz.

If we consider just a little wider variance of ±6.5 kHz to open the VLF range to 6 kHz to 19 kHz, that would then include my White's modified IDX Pro and XLT and 6.59 kHz, Fisher F-44 at 7.69 kHz as well as my Nokta Relic at 19 kHz. I guess if you wanted to fudge a wee bit you could include the Anfibio's 5 kHz selection on the lower-end and 20 kHz on the upper end.

Some of us who are more dedicated to using and learning detectors concluded back in the late '70s to '81 that detectors working in the lower range seemed to be hotter on most higher-conductive targets, such as copper, brass and silver coins, whereas the higher frequencies I just described had the edge on lower-conductive targets such as gold jewelry, small foil, and US 5¢ coins.

Today we have some manufactures, and individuals kind of over-promoting the simultaneous models that are working in the 31 kHz to 70+ kHz range. Well, okay, they can still work well, but in different ways, and for some uses, but with some trade-offs in field performance. Models operating in the LF range (Low Frequency of 30 kHz to 300 kHz) can have some very frustrating trade-offs when worked afield, and that includes both simultaneous multi-frequencies that include both VLF and LF frequencies in their operation, or selectable multi-frequency models, like your Deus, or an ORX or a EQ-800, etc., when a LF frequency is selected.

So I was glad you pointed out that you were operating in a selected 8 kHz frequency range. One which is lower in the acceptable scale that is ± from the 'ideal' 12.5 kHz George Payne concluded. I'll add here that my best Trade Token find made last year, as well as over half of my silver coins found, to include my 1892 Barber 10¢, were made using my White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil that operates at 6.59 kHz.

Anyway, I have long been a fan of models in these frequency ranges for all the different sites I work and don't get too carried away with a lot of spouting about those much higher frequencies. They can be more topic-specific. For example, I like the 56 kHz of the Makro Gold Racer .... but that's for a specific application to search for typically very small and very low conductive gold nuggets.

Now, let's touch on clearing coins, trade tokens and other metal objects we find. Most are going to be made of a more noble metal, such as copper or silver. It can include other desirables like aluminum trade tokens and such, but in every case we need to use caution and follow the following steps in cleaning any found object:

#1 .. If it is a choice, rare item, and especially if you plan to sell or trade it for its potential value:
DO NOT Clean It! --- Leave it 'as-is' and let the buyer ruin it and its value. Not YOU.

2.. Use a soft, non-metal, bristled brush and water to gently clean any dirt from the object.

►Some people stop at that point, but I prefer to further clean coins and tokens, then card them and save in a binder.◄

3.. The Pre-Treat process before I run the finds in my rock tumbler. This is where liquid Toilet Bowl Cleaner (now referred to as TBC) is used, so I'll only comment on the Pre-Treating method of using this liquid cleaner that I told OregonGregg about.

I had used a lot of different cleaning compounds or liquids prior to this for years when cleaning found targets, many of which were in very terrible condition from the metal objects they were located with, or from the effects of the soil make-up, effects of a wetter environment, and time. The latter is one that can have an aging effect on all of us as well, and sometimes the lost objects seem to suffer more 'aging' than we do.sad smiley

I want to thank Kirby for alerting me to the use of 'Sno Bol' brand toilet bowl cleaner back about '96. It was, and is, amazing how well it can help clean and restore the appearance of most lost coins and tokens. The secret here is to use this Pre-Treatment step before using the rock tumbler process.

Also, you should ALWAYS thoroughly wash off anything you clean using liquid TBC. The objects might appear to be clean and shiny once removed, however when they dry and sit for a while they can develop a powdery, filmy looking finish if the cleaner is not removed. I always rinse the coins and tokens completely in warm running water and agitate them around in a plastic container to make sure all surfaces get rinsed.

THEN they will be run through the rock tumbler with a squirt of Dawn dish soap, and sometimes a teaspoon of Cream of Tarter if I have it around, and then well rinsed when finished (about 30 minutes to 1 hour or so) and then laid out on a terry cloth towel to dry .... usually looking great. By the way, they are tumbled in a rock tumbled with aquarium gravel, water and the dish soap.

HOW to USE TBC:

• Be in a well ventilated area and try to keep the Toilet Bowl Cleaner off your skin. Do not inhale the liquid or the mix of liquid and objects being cleaned, and while I often don't, I'll suggest using latex or rubber gloves while handling the TBC and treated coins or other objects (I also do buckles, clothing fasteners and other things of interest that I want cleaned up).

• If coins, first sort them into Pennies both Zinc/Copper in one pile, Nickels in a 2nd pile, and Clad/Silver in a 3rd pile. DO NOT mix the different metal alloys groups. Clean only one group at a time and never mix them together. Brass tokens I add to the Pennies and most of the time Aluminum Tokens I handle individually. At times I tumble with the Clad/Silver group.

• I use a plastic peanut butter jar w/plastic lid to keep the liquid TBC in, and a plastic soft margarine container to handle sorting the treated objects from the liquid. I do the Pre-Treatment at a sink with running water.

• Put 1 to about a small handful of coins/tokens in the peanut butter jar. Add liquid TBC to just cover the objects. Put on the lid, then swish the contents around to be sure all outer parts of the items gets 'treated.' Let stand for maybe 15 minutes to no more than 30 minutes, occasionally shaking or swishing everything around.

• After the soaking, empty all of the contents into the plastic margarine container. Next, pinch the container to form a narrow 'spout' and pour all of the TBC back into the peanut butter jar keeping all targets you are cleaning in the margarine container. The TBC can still be used, numerous times. Just make sure the lid is tight when finished, rinse off the container, and set it out-of-the-way.

• I then run hot/warm water in the margarine container, hand-stirring all the coins, tokens, ?? around to rinse off the TBC. As it fills, pour out the tainted water and continue flushing. When initially rinsed and the cleaned-off TBC has been poured out, I add a small squirt of Dawn dish detergent and run fresh water in and manually 'stir' all the objects around. Then, finally rinse them clean and they are ready to be tumbled.

As mentioned, I started with 'Sno Bol' toilet bowl cleaner and it worked great! I could also find it in many stores where I lived, but that was twenty years ago.. Since then I have tried a variety of bargain-priced toilet bowl cleaners, such as Lysol, and the last one I got Gregg was at Family Dollar, I think when we were in Wells, Nevada, and it was called 'The Work's, and it worked well.thumbs up I had used it before and when I'm out of what I have now I'll either get 'Sno Bol' (I heard they have it at Walmart ??) or The Works. Not sure if 'Sno Bol' is a potent as it used to be. I know some of the liquid TBC brands were so wimpy at cleaning some of my finds, I used them for their intended purpose and bought something different.

I also rinse out the plastic margarine container, then I store it under the sink with the peanut butter jar with used TBC sitting in the margarine container with a tight lid.

Sorry to ramble in this post but you mentioned using it and, if you plan to sell that token, DON'T DO ANY CLEANING.

Again, congrats on the lucky-find success on your detecting jaunt. I hope that good fortune continues with what time we have left to get out afield this year.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Dumped some Xp juice down the old hatch todaysmileys with diet Dr. Pepper float Attachments

Kickindirt 93 October 14, 2019 07:45PM

Enjoy the 'XP Juice' but caution with the Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

Monte 43 October 16, 2019 06:18PM

Re: Enjoy the 'XP Juice' but caution with the Toilet Bowl Cleaner.

Kickindirt 32 October 16, 2019 08:25PM

Re: Dumped some Xp juice down the old hatch todaysmileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Rdunzl 32 October 15, 2019 04:26PM

Xp Potion

UtahRich 46 October 15, 2019 11:49AM

Re: Xp Potion

silverhound2 34 October 15, 2019 07:10PM

OregonGregg 36 October 16, 2019 09:15PM

Kickindirt 36 October 15, 2019 12:56PM

Re: Dumped some Xp juice down the old hatch todaysmileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Utah1971 36 October 14, 2019 08:11PM

Kickindirt 35 October 14, 2019 08:23PM

GeoW 37 October 14, 2019 08:11PM

Remfire 41 October 14, 2019 10:04PM

Kickindirt 45 October 15, 2019 01:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018