Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Way to go! You do have some very good parks to hunt.

November 01, 2019 04:21AM avatar
Referring to the greater Portland Oregon metro area, there are so many choices, and some of them used to put out a lot of older-era coins, and others might produce a better number of silver and gold jewelry items. Unfortunately, quite a few of them had a ground mineral make-up that wasn't very kind to Indian Head and earlier date Wheat-Back cents. My favorites were Washington, Mt. Tabor, Columbia, Council Crest, Laurelhurst, Kenton, Sellwood and Peninsula. Those are not in any order of preference, except I used to pull a lot of nice older coins, trade tokens and occasional small artifacts by working the brushy side-hills at Washington and Mt. Tabor.

Of course all of these parks were most productive in quantity as well as more desired keepers from '71 through '96. By the end of that 25 year span, most of the more open and typically detected areas had been thinned down quite a bit. The 'quantity' of coins was especially diminished, but they still had a lot of areas on the fringe areas or into the brushier places that held some good stuff and had been overlooked.

Those were just my favorite 'go-to' places that used to be the best, but there are many, many other smaller-size parks, too, that I stopped at. The metro area there had so many parks it could easily keep you busy. A few of the better ones, however, are gone thanks to growth, and some I didn't frequent all that often because they are not in some of the more pleasant neighborhoods, or you could say safer areas. I'd still work them very early of a day, often doing it when there were 2-5 of us out working the parks, too.

The ring you found is a nice example of some of the wonderful surprises we get to unearth, and one of the things I miss the most after moving away from the Portland area was the abundance of places to go hunt in an urban environment. I hope you're able to enjoy a huntable late-fall and winter season around there and make more good recoveries. Keep a watch for any renovation they do, especially in the older parks, and work some of the out-of-the-way areas, slowly and methodically, to find some of the left-overs.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 3 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Park finds- silver and an injun Attachments

Jadon_PDX 53 October 27, 2019 06:44PM

Way to go! You do have some very good parks to hunt.

Monte 19 November 01, 2019 04:21AM

Got a date off of the indian- 1905 Attachments

Jadon_PDX 26 October 27, 2019 11:32PM

Re: Park finds- silver and an injun

zincoln 33 October 27, 2019 08:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018