Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Congratulations for 1, 2 and 3.

April 03, 2020 11:41AM avatar
1.. Having some success afieldas we're moving into 2020.

2.. Getting out during a restricted time here in the USA.

3.. Putting in some serious 'learning time' with a new-to-you detector you're still getting to know.

Kickindirt
Went to one of my old railroad sites the other day. Took the anfibio multi with 7" concentric and 5x9" coils.

Just a little clarification for readers not familiar with Nokta and Makro products. They made solid-body search coils that were labeled 5½X10 and then they made the open-frame DD coils that are 5X9½. Some times folks can leave off a ½ or .5 indications or I know some just guess the size. I'm sure the coil Joel used on the Anfibio Multi was the newer 5X9½ DD open-frame coil.

Kickindirt
I started out with the 7" concentric at 14 kHz. The machine was running rather unsettled with the 7" coil at 14 kHz. I was thinking to myself I really dont like how this thing is acting. Thought it was just the concentric being i haven't used the anfibio with a concentric coil. After fighting the machine for a few hours I decide to see how the 20 kHz acted. Just like that the machine was like a different beast and started performing beautifully.

Sometimes these modern, high-gain detectors can get a little "unsettled" around EMI, or in some challenging ground environments ... depending on what you mean by "unsettled." Opting for a different operating frequency can, as you noted, something help with some issues.

Kickindirt
I found a mini skeleton key with the 7". Then switched to the 9x5 coil also at the 20 kHz. I must say right away I could instantly tell I liked how the 9x5 and 20 kHz was performing.

I like the 5X9½ DD coil and keep one mounted full-time on my Nokta CoRe as well as XP ORX and find it to be one of my favorite mid-sized coils for sites where it isn't too densely littered. And I like models that work in the 14 kHz to 20 kHz range, acknowledging slight benefits in performance for the different detector brands/models. Then there are some in that frequency range that just don't impress me much, but I've enjoyed very good performance with the Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi when using 14 kHz, 15 kHz, 19 kHz and 20 kHz.

We all get to pick-and-choose what detector nd coil and overall performance impresses each of us. Some we like and some we don't all depending on the sites we select to hunt and how much we want to hear when it comes to using the Discriminate mode.

Kickindirt
I like it so much I'm gonna order a snake coil asap for this machine. Maybe even the nel 9x5 also.

Why? I've used NEL Snake and Sharpshooter DD coils on some makes and models that, otherwise, didn't impress me. With the Snake or Sharpshooter .... most of them still didn't impress me. The cause, mainly, was the detector's circuitry design. I will also honestly state the on some occasions, a Snake coil did well on a model I liked. On the Anfibio Multi I like their 5" DD in the ugliest of Iron Nail conditions or other place with ample debris to deal with.

I have tried the Sharpshooter DD against the very similar-looking 5X9½ DD and I happen to prefer the Nokta / Makro coil. my suggestion is to keep using the 5X9½ along with the 7" Concentric and put on the 5" round DD in the nastiest of trash conditions. Hunt with them for a while to learn the Anfibio Multi even more before spending $$$$ for coils you probably won't need.

Kickindirt
This machine is a beast in the iron no doubt very impressive with the 9x5 coil.

In low-to-modest Iron Nail and other Ferrous debris the 5X9½ DD IS a very impressive mid-size coil, to be sure. But while it has its strong points, the 5" DD will out-perform it when things get really challenging. I keep that coil mounted full-time on my 2nd FORS CoRe just for those types of environments. Open areas, fringe areas, for 'scouting,' and in low-to-modest trash. My primary-use CoRe gets the most work in really bad environments with the 'OOR' DD or I grab the FORS Relic w/5" DD,, Very impressive detectors for most challenging missions.

Kickindirt
I was working a pretty large area I have already hit with previous machines alot. This area is prob one of the worst sites I think I have ever encountered. Loaded with nails, rusted tin cans everywhere and really high mineralization. My equinox 800 with both 11 and 6" coils just will not hardly work at all in this area. It's pretty much unbearable. I tried all different settings. Low sense, med sense, high sense. Leaving gb at 0. Tried ground balancing it. Not matter what it doesn't like it.

Just to clarify for readers, the settings you referred to, with the Ground Balance set to '0', was with the Minelab Equinox 800 and NOT the Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi. Their 'default' GB is a '90' reference number.

For Joel, I wonder if you tried a Single Frequency selection rather than using Multi-IQ? I'd bet you could have improved performance with the right settings, but I do agree, the EQ-800, even with 6" DD, is 'OK' in many applications can have some challenges dealing with dense Ferrous trash if settings are not ideal.

Kickindirt
Heres the pics of the good stuff I found with the anfibio. Settings used were 70-75 sense 3 tone with zero disc and zero notch. Lowest tone break set at 22, everything else at factory breaks and tones. Mostly used the 9x5 coil for all finds except the mini skeleton key made with 7".

Interesting settings. thinkingconfused smileyo If I may ask:

Why 3-Tone and not 2-Tone if there are a lot or Iron Nails?

Why use '0' Discrimination? I know I do on some models in some applications, but why are you in very trashy sites?

Why have the lowest Tone Break increased to '22' in the lower-end of the non-ferrous range?

Just curious why folks sometimes do what they do and it benefits me, and others, to help with our learning and understanding.

Kickindirt
Del good question. Here's my reasoning. The Nok/Mak machines are over sensitive with the stock coils. What do I mean by over sensitive? Meaning they will constantly give you and overload signal on shallow targets the size of small rifle casings. I bet if a quarter was laying on the surface it would make the machine overload. For me this is a major problem having trained myself to swing with my coil 2" off the ground.

Some detectors might seem "over sensitive with the stock coils" and constantly give an 'overload' response on shallower or near-proximity targets. This is more often caused by objects that are larger than common-sized coins, or if their shape also enhances the return signal strength. You mentioned rifle cartridges and that can be a good example. Typically, a coin-size target like a US Quarter or similar to smaller-size coil will be less likely to cause and 'over-load' response. But that behavior is more related the a detector's circuitry design more than the search coil, although some coils can be more susceptible to that happening.

Most manufacturers suggest searching with the search coil ±2" off the ground, and some larger-size coil might need to have an added inch or so to that, depending upon the search coils size, type of coil winding, and the particular detector's Sensitivity level. All too often I note people' search techniques and observe them scrubbing the ground or working too close such that they have periodic contact (bumping into or scuffing the soil or rocks or sand, whatever it may be) and that will cause some issues with 'overload' behavior, and also cause a lot of near-to-coil targets to produce double or multiple beeps on a search coil sweep. A good indication the coil is not at a proper sweep orientation and is too close to the ground and especially too close to metal targets.

Some of my detectors can be used a little closer to the ground than others and I just have to learn their individual strength and weaknesses, then adjust my search so I'm not annoyed from a too-close sweep.

Kickindirt
So the Nel coils will take all that power and sensitivity of the Nok/Mak machines and control it and tune it to its advantage.

Don't let your imagination carry you too far astray. Some coils don't "take the power and sensitivity and control it" but are simply coils that work, but DON'T have the ability to handle a lot of 'power.' Instead, they are more 'dumbed-down', so to speak, and work, but lack some of the depth-of-detection or target response compared with a better-tune3d search coil.

Kickindirt
Well if the anfibio is like the racer2s that I had. When the racer2s first came out i ran into this same issue and decided to try a nel snake coil on the racer2 and it was a game changer. I'm guessing/hoping the anfibio will be the same way.

I had been enjoying my FORS CoRe for a year plus and adapted to the power and performance and the Overload audio. The CoRe worked great! I also had the original Racer, then the Gold Racer and FORS Gold Plus when 2016 arrived and I had the prototype that became the FORS Relic and the Racer 2 prototype just before release. The final Revised Prototype Keith S. & I agreed on after Nokta sent us new system boxes updated to our requests were 'perfect' and the overload was tamed a little from what they had, but the Racer 2 was ready-to-go into production and it worked well ... but had a more pronounced 'overload' audio compared to my CoRe and Relic. I learned to live with it and that came about by maintaining a proper coil-to-ground / target relationship. Also, I have all my modes 'saved' to start out at '99' Sensitivity in 3-Tone and '95' Sensitivity in 2-Tone or most other modes on ALL of my Nokta and Makro detectors, so I haven't dumbed-them -down, I just stay alert to a proper search coil sweep speed and presentation.

Kickindirt
I made some amazing finds with my racer2 and snake coil. Anfibio has the advantage of running 20 kHz with a snake coil. Sound like gold to me lol.

It has that same 20 kHz capability with their 5" DD, too, and I still favor it to the aftermarket 'Snake' DD. Just personal preference.

Kickindirt
To answer your questions about Deus/ORX. If my theory is correct with the snake coil anfibio combo the anfibio will have a good edge over Deus/ORX in some situations. The the way my anfibio runs now in the trash and iron. No absolutely not. Anfibio always in overload mode, forcing you to lift coil 4-6" off ground or more. Plus takes anfibio long time to reset/retune off overload.

You shouldn't have to use a 4" to 6" coil-lift with the Anfibio or any detector to eliminate 'overload' unless you've encountered a big galvanized garbage can, a 49 Chevy trunk door, or some similar larger-size object. Smaller-size targets we're usually after, such as coins, trade tokens, jewelry, sheep ear tags, military buttons, etc. are most often not going to cause an 'overload' with a smaller or mid-sized coil in use.

Kickindirt
I did some testing long time ago with my racer2. Running snake coil allowed me to basically scrub my coil on ground if wanted to. So if the snake coil works like I expect I would also buy the Nel 5x9 for same reason.

Do you know what negative things occur when a search coils is 'scrubbed on the ground' with our modern detectors? It can do harm to detection depth, detection ability, and also cause multiple beeps and falsing instead of one clean signal and ......

Kickindirt
Idk Del for me this is a big deal. You can get use to running with your coil 4" off the ground I guess. Seems strange having to do this to me. Overall I like the speed and raw power of the anfibio. Even swinging 4-5" off the ground still able to make good finds.

Yes, some of these newer detectors do provide a lot of detection 'power' or capability. In those cases, instead of working a coil too far off the ground, like 4", just maintain a 'proper coil height of ±2" and then adjust the Sensitivity to maintain stability. Also, too low a Discrimination setting can cause ground noise with some models that that can be rejected to help add some stability and less falsing.

I'd just take my time to master the Anfibio Multi and all the coils you have now rather then invest in other coils that might not provide any benefits in performance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! Attachments

Kickindirt 327 April 01, 2020 06:27PM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!!

Utah1971 134 April 12, 2020 07:37PM

OregonGregg 130 April 12, 2020 08:04PM

Congratulations for 1, 2 and 3.

Monte 168 April 03, 2020 11:41AM

Re: Congratulations for 1, 2 and 3.

Kickindirt 137 April 04, 2020 12:28AM

Back to you, Joel.

Monte 141 April 04, 2020 11:52AM

Re: Back to you, Joel.

Kickindirt 133 April 04, 2020 10:06PM

Joel, about the 'overload' audio issue.

Monte 140 April 05, 2020 01:59AM

Say what ??????

OregonGregg 167 April 03, 2020 03:23PM

Re: Say what ??????

jmaryt 138 April 04, 2020 12:42PM

Re: Say what ??????

OregonGregg 134 April 04, 2020 12:46PM

Just remember, I already know what it can do ....

Monte 159 April 03, 2020 04:48PM

Re: Just remember, I already know what it can do ....

OregonGregg 132 April 04, 2020 06:59AM

Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!!

UtahRich 162 April 02, 2020 10:20AM

Kickindirt 153 April 02, 2020 12:53PM

Elbert 167 April 01, 2020 07:47PM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! Ha ha El good point N/T

Kickindirt 154 April 02, 2020 12:01AM

D&P-OR 161 April 01, 2020 07:19PM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! And Nel coils

Kickindirt 146 April 02, 2020 12:01AM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! And Nel coils

D&P-OR 163 April 02, 2020 11:08AM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! And Nel coils Del

Kickindirt 155 April 02, 2020 01:40PM

Re: Relic hunting with the Anfibio Multi!! And Nel coils Del

D&P-OR 139 April 02, 2020 04:45PM

NWCindy 153 April 01, 2020 06:35PM

Kickindirt 143 April 01, 2020 06:54PM

OregonGregg 142 April 01, 2020 08:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020