Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frequencies -- Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency?confused smiley

April 07, 2020 09:49AM avatar
UtahRich
Today for the 1st time since I've owned my 800 I had to go single frequency and stay there due to EMI. I was hunting an old yard on a corner and the overhead power lines on both street facing sides was just killing me. I kept noise cancelling and reducing sensitivity and was all the way down to 14-15 AND still struggling. I finally gave up and went for the FREQ button and started slowly cycling through the frequencies. 5kHz, 10khZ and 15kHz were great, 20kHz and 40kHz not so much. I ended up on 15kHz and was able to get the sensitivity back up to 21 without issue.

Rich
How they work and why they work the way they do has long been a consideration with the different MF offerings. Some are clear and simple while others leave us wallowing in mystery and uncertainty. Some "Multi-Frequency' models are Selectable while the ones more popular for many to get wrapped up in are the so-called Simultaneous' types. In some cases you have the primary Transmit Frequency and then some 'Processing Frequencies' for the received signal to be quickly channeled through.

Looking at the different Simultaneous models we see two groups. One group are these: Fisher CZ's, White's DFX and White's VX3 or V3i.. Look at their ad literature, read their User Manuals, or ask a Factory Rep. at a show and you get answers, or close-enough answers, to the question: What Frequencies do they operate at?

And then there's the 'other' group, such as the BBS Sovereign series, the FBS 'Explorer / E-Trac / CTX units and the Equinox series and now the Vanquish models. When in their BBS, FBS or Multi-IQ functions can anyone tell us exactly what frequency, or frequencies, they are actually operating with at one time? Minelab has managed to keep things a mystery for decades and it seems to continue. It's been easy to disprove some of the alleged operating frequencies, especially with the FBS models when you compare the 28 frequencies they claim to use yet they do a terrible job when it comes to hunting in and handling Iron Nails for unmasking.

I teetered back and forth between buying an Equinox 800 or a Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, guessing their pros and cons (because the User Manuals lack a lot of useful information) and settled on the V-540 Pro Pack w/2 coils, then bought a second V-540 PP. Why? Because it was affordable and I can keep both search coils mounted full-time on their own detector for quick grab-and-go hunting needs. Also, the Vanquish physical package is a much better design, in my opinion, and I can take advantage of what some of the Multi-IQ performance benefits are.

What trade-offs do I lack that the Equinox offers? Two things: Selectable single frequency, and the option for Automated or Manual Ground Balance. I know there are some benefits from Simultaneous Multiple Frequency in some applications, but I also know I have used some really great-performing Single-Frequency detectors in many applications that match or out-perform the multi-functioning design.

I got a kick out of the Equinox introduction when they stated that new Multi-IQ was going to out-perform all single-frequency detectors. If so, why did they also make it with a selectable frequency option to cover several VLF and LF range frequencies if it was supposed to be better? If their bold claim was supposed to make sense then their final design sure didn't .... or it was the other way around?

Anyway, no detector is perfect, and I do like my Multi-IQ Vanquish 540's for a lot of detecting applications. But I also like the study of operating frequencies done by George Payne decades about when he considered the better frequency for different coin conductivities to select the "ideal" single frequency for the Discovery Electronics Treasure Baron, and that was 12.5 kHz that came out in the early '90s. That was a reasonable 'fit' for me as I had been relying on a lot of different detectors since the latter '70s that operated at ± 2.5 kHz of that ideal choice. Models like the 15 kHz Garrett Ground Hog or Gold Mountain VIP Deluxe served me well. Then in mid-'83 Tesoro offered the Inca at 12 kHz and other models followed from Tesoro, such as the Bandido and Silver Sabre and Golden Sabre series that ranged from 10 kHz to 15 kHz.

There have been and still are a lot of detectors that work quite well in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range that are equi-distant from George's 12.5 kHz best frequency choice decision. I look at my Detector Outfit today and, other than Minelab V-540's w/Multi-IQ, I have a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX that operate at 10 kHz, a Nokta / Makro Simplex + at 12 kHz, a Makro Racer 2 at 14 kHz, my XP ORX with the main-use program saved at 14.4 kHz, and two Nokta FORS CoRe's at 15 kHz.

Other than those I do have a Fisher F44 at 7.8 kHz that is mainly a 'loaner-unit', and should I want a slightly higher operating frequency I can grab my Nokta FORS Relic at 19 kHz, or my ORX which allows other frequency selections in the VLF range and up into the LF range. But my get-serious workhorse detectors are single-frequency and mostly in the 10-15 kHz range.

With all the EMI you had and the big reduction in Sensitivity to try and get the EQ-800 stable, you could have just put it away and grabbed your 15 kHz CoRe, or maybe even set the '800' aside and put the 6.59 kHz XLT to work.

Then again, EMI isn't always corrected by frequency selection.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

diggindeep 253 April 05, 2020 01:44PM

Re: Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

Goondock 131 April 07, 2020 10:23PM

More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

UtahRich 167 April 06, 2020 06:24PM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up Attachments

Remfire 171 April 07, 2020 11:01AM

More finds with a new frequency. Other settings might differ.

Monte 138 April 08, 2020 02:56AM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

Goondock 133 April 07, 2020 10:26PM

silverhound2 136 April 07, 2020 09:36PM

Beauty is only "skin deep", esspecially with some coins and tokens.

Monte 137 April 08, 2020 03:11AM

OregonGregg 137 April 07, 2020 09:57AM

Frequencies -- Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency?confused smiley

Monte 156 April 07, 2020 09:49AM

Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency? thinking

UtahRich 134 April 07, 2020 07:34PM

Well, here are some Questions .. Thoughts .. Opinions and a little ????

Monte 133 April 08, 2020 09:56AM

Opinions, BS, Snake Oil and a little . . "Thanks, but, No Thanks" thumbs up

UtahRich 139 April 08, 2020 10:43PM

Back to you, Rich.

Monte 140 April 09, 2020 05:30AM

- Beyond Missed

UtahRich 141 April 09, 2020 05:01PM

Rich you covered them well, except these two:

Monte 122 April 10, 2020 05:27PM

OregonGregg 138 April 06, 2020 10:20AM

NWCindy 137 April 05, 2020 05:09PM

Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

Monte 154 April 05, 2020 02:06PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

diggindeep 146 April 05, 2020 06:17PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

jmaryt 145 April 05, 2020 02:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 44
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020