Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More finds with a new frequency. Other settings might differ.

April 08, 2020 12:56AM avatar
Remfire
I found your post regarding frequencies interesting as I had an experience with changing frequencies today.

I went back to the military area I hunted a few weeks ago, trying to expand the search area. After a hike with meager findings I passed through the area where I found coins. I was using my Deus and had been hunting with a custom program, but as I searched this area again I switched to programs #9, HOT. I got a iron type signal with a squeak in it, and after checking it several directions and a foot scrape or two, I switched to 7.7 KHz and the signal improved, but was still pretty iffy. A couple of shovel scoops localized the signal and a swipe with the pinpointer located a 1943s Merc. Another pass with the Deus determined there was still a scratchy signal there. Another search with the pinpointer and I found the “iron,” a steel penny. I assume it’s a1943 but it’s so rusty the date is unreadable.

I might have walked away from this signal if I hadn’t been able to change frequencies.

I do like some 'Selectable' Frequency models because I can be in control of what is and isn't working, Going backwards in your post, I have also enjoyed being able to select a different operating frequency using an XP ORX, Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi, Multi-Kruzer and Impact, to cross-check a questionable signal and been able to audibly, and sometimes visually, classify it as probable trash or a potential keeper, then made the recovery to see the results.

The one thing to note is using this 1-Detector / Multiple-Frequency approach, we are still dependent on that particular detector's circuitry design and behavior. The other method could also be marking those questionable targets and changing detectors to one that operated at a different frequency, which would also have to factor in that it had a different circuitry design. That is the method I used to use quite often when I'd go hunt many older sites. My advantages is that I wasn't a 'wanderer who scurried off in a random number of directions for one or two hundred yards. I'd park, then either mark off a search grip, or visually eyeball an area, and search in rather close proximity to my vehicle. I'd recover the good signals and on those 'questionable iffy' signals I'd flag them. Then after working a dedicated area I switch detectors and do more hunting for items missed, and to check the marked questionable targets and recover them, unless I was checking with 2 or more detectors in which case I'd jot down the results of each detector used and their operating frequency.

So in your example, as I do now or have in the past, we are relying on a known 'selected frequency' to check or double-check the signal, then recovering it to verify any conclusion we might have made. I know that sometimes this search method can be rewarding, but I also know that there have been times when I double-check a targets using the same operating frequency in two or more models, and there have been some pronounced differences between two or more detectors simply based on the overall circuitry design.

Even if we can use the same size and type search coil on different detectors, there can be a surprising difference4 in the end performance. That's why I don't like to put full-faith in a Simultaneous Multi-Frequency model or in just one brand or models with a Selectable Frequency when I know that some stand-alone single-frequency detectors can still match or better them in some tough challenges.

Congrats on the silver, and the fact that it probably helped you find the steel 1¢ coin.

Monte

PS: When we have a model that offers a selectable frequency option, we should devote some time to working with Test Samples and also in the field in different search environments to try not just one frequency change, but several. All of them, of possible, to better learn the strengths and weaknesses of using a different Higher Frequency or different Lower Frequency than our selected search frequency. It's to our advantages to know the trade-offs if we over-adjust.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 01:14AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

diggindeep 110 April 05, 2020 11:44AM

Re: Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

Goondock 45 April 07, 2020 08:23PM

More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

UtahRich 65 April 06, 2020 04:24PM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up Attachments

Remfire 70 April 07, 2020 09:01AM

More finds with a new frequency. Other settings might differ.

Monte 47 April 08, 2020 12:56AM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

Goondock 48 April 07, 2020 08:26PM

silverhound2 49 April 07, 2020 07:36PM

Beauty is only "skin deep", esspecially with some coins and tokens.

Monte 42 April 08, 2020 01:11AM

OregonGregg 46 April 07, 2020 07:57AM

Frequencies -- Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency?confused smiley

Monte 60 April 07, 2020 07:49AM

Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency? thinking

UtahRich 40 April 07, 2020 05:34PM

Well, here are some Questions .. Thoughts .. Opinions and a little ????

Monte 44 April 08, 2020 07:56AM

Opinions, BS, Snake Oil and a little . . "Thanks, but, No Thanks" thumbs up

UtahRich 49 April 08, 2020 08:43PM

Back to you, Rich.

Monte 47 April 09, 2020 03:30AM

- Beyond Missed

UtahRich 50 April 09, 2020 03:01PM

Rich you covered them well, except these two:

Monte 33 April 10, 2020 03:27PM

OregonGregg 47 April 06, 2020 08:20AM

NWCindy 45 April 05, 2020 03:09PM

Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

Monte 57 April 05, 2020 12:06PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

diggindeep 51 April 05, 2020 04:17PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

jmaryt 51 April 05, 2020 12:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 42
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018