Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, Rich.

April 09, 2020 03:30AM avatar
UtahRich
If pondering is your thing, here's some thoughts. . . . . .

1. Does Minelabs' Multi-IQ system of multi-frequency signal analysis work?
Well, I have Multi-IQ with the Vanquish 540's and YES, at times it works rather well, but knowing there are limitations that can affect the results, I also know it isn't always going to work well. 'Pondering' IS, I guess you could say, because I 'ponder' how much to believe in a lot of manufacture's marketing as some is more 'hyped' than others. I 'ponder' how design engineers came up with some physical packaging concepts. I 'ponder' why a detector maker does, or does not, offer certain search coils or not offer more coils of different size and types.

I 'ponder' why an electronic engineer incorporates certain adjustment functions in some models but bypasses some important adjustments in a different model. Naturally, I 'ponder' why it is some people buy a Multi-IQ type detector and how they use it (settings) and where they enjoy using it. And I have to 'ponder' what THEY think of it an what other detectors they have, or have used, and how they feel about that detector selection.

UtahRich
2. How would Monte verify that it works to his satisfaction?
Now that's pretty simple. With ANY detector, any make, any model, any type of frequency design, I evaluate them to first see if their physical design is comfortable for me to put in ample time afield. That goes in concert with what search coils are available the specific detector and how well the coil performs for me at the sites I prefer to hunt. I try to be as audibly attentive as I can to put in the time and learn what a detector and coil combination can do for me where I hunt, and also what limitations there might be. And in the end, after I have worked a detector and coil set enough, I will now if I am 'satisfied' if a detectors is comfortable, well balanced, and I enjoy good performance afield to make it be a part of my Regular-Use Detector Outfit or not.

UtahRich
3. Are there limits to Minelabs' signal analysis methods and equipment? (if it does work, where does it function best and worst)
A good Q&A viewpoint which is exactly why I put in field time to learn the strengths and weaknesses of any model and available search coils. I don't like to simply conger up a good guess about a model and decide if I might like it or not and speak negatively about it. I want to actually put it to work, using test samples and an ample array of in-the-field encounters to learn what it might offer me.

For example, with the Minelab Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD coil, I like the 'analysis it can provide in some scattered Iron Nail contaminated sites, and I really like how it handles a good percentage of that annoying rusty tin we encounter in most of the ghost towns I like to hunt. With both the 5X8 DD and the 'standard' 9X12 DD coils I have also liked the performance in more open areas like a plowed field, and how it can serve me when hunting 'fringe' areas of the old townsites, as well as serve as a 'Scouting Unit' in my Detector Outfit

UtahRich
4. IF the Multi-IQ signal analysis works, is it ANY BETTER than different methods of signal analysis being used by Nokta/Makro, Fisher, White's, XP, Garrett, etc, etc.
The signal analysis of ALL the detectors I have determined make a good 'fit' in my group are 'different' between them. They ALL have some strong points and some weak points when it comes to detecting and signaling favorably on certain target challenges or in certain site conditions, which means my Multi-IQ Vanquish models do what they do well, as do my Nokta CoRe, Relic, Impact, Simplex+, XP ORX and Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX. That allows me to select the Vanquish whenever I get out to hunt a site where I might come out ahead putting it's able functions to work.

UtahRich
This got me to thinking about proofs and how would I go about verifying the functionality of the Multi-IQ system. What tests can I conjure up that would verify that my Multi-IQ is functioning properly vs. a unit that was not. ???

Some would say that the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Is it? I'm pretty handy with any detector. I have other detectors that are excellent as well. (see list below) Am I finding targets with my 800 that I wouldn't find with my other detectors?

Let me look at how I'm doing with my 800. It has been available to the consumer for about 26 months now, I've had mine for just a bit over 2 years.
And here is why I enjoy most of your posts because you'll open up about how you do, and what you might like or not like about a coil or a detector or a specific setting. It's often not only interesting and informative, but I learn from them.

UtahRich
Is my 800 finding the "stuff" left behind by 40-50 years of previous detectors and those using them? So far, Yes.
That would be an easy 'YES', I'm sure, because all of us have left stuff behind in years gone by. We didn't sweep directly over a target, or we were using too much Discrimination, or we didn't get a good enough signal to recover the target, didn't overlap and other reasons why we didn't find something. You could hunt a site using everything you have and then go in a couple of days later with the EQ-800 and quite probably. But you could re-hunt with the same detector you first used and find something. Stuff gets missed.

UtahRich
Am I finding good non-ferrous targets co-located with ferrous targets ? Frequently.
As do I.

UtahRich
Am I finding good non-ferrous targets near large iron objects? Yes.
And I do as well.

UtahRich
Am I finding good non-ferrous targets in and among other unwanted non-ferrous targets? Yes. (This is one reason I have come to like using 5 tones on my 800, it helps with sorting through the non-ferrous garbage.)
I have done this as well, and one nice feature abut he Vanquish 540 is that it is a 5-Tone audio response and unchangeable. The audio works well, and similar to the 5-Tone on the EQ-800.

UtahRich
Am I finding these good non-ferrous targets at shallow, mid-depth and full depth? Yes.
thumbs up Yep, detection depth is nice.

UtahRich
Does any of this mean anything to anybody other than me? Probably Not. I don't really think anybody gives two shakes of a dead cat how I'm doing with any of my detectors; except maybe my wife. She likes when I come home beaming after making a cool find.
Honestly, YES, it does. At least to me and I'm sure some others find the results and performance of interest.

UtahRich
Well. lots of questions to ponder and no answers for you Monte. Sorry to disappoint. winking smiley
Absolutely NOT disappointed.

UtahRich
I hope everybody else is finding time and social spacing to get out and do a little detecting. thumbs up
Headed to a ghost town in 4½ hours to enjoy an even nicer-weather day. I hope you can wiggle in some detecting time somewhere.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vanquish 540; CoRe, Relic, Impact & Simplex +; Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

diggindeep 103 April 05, 2020 11:44AM

Re: Nice handful of relics picking through the iron with the Equinox

Goondock 41 April 07, 2020 08:23PM

More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

UtahRich 63 April 06, 2020 04:24PM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up Attachments

Remfire 66 April 07, 2020 09:01AM

More finds with a new frequency. Other settings might differ.

Monte 44 April 08, 2020 12:56AM

Re: More finds with a new mode. . . . . thumbs up

Goondock 43 April 07, 2020 08:26PM

silverhound2 44 April 07, 2020 07:36PM

Beauty is only "skin deep", esspecially with some coins and tokens.

Monte 39 April 08, 2020 01:11AM

OregonGregg 44 April 07, 2020 07:57AM

Frequencies -- Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency?confused smiley

Monte 57 April 07, 2020 07:49AM

Multi Vs Single. thinking ... and What Frequency? thinking

UtahRich 37 April 07, 2020 05:34PM

Well, here are some Questions .. Thoughts .. Opinions and a little ????

Monte 41 April 08, 2020 07:56AM

Opinions, BS, Snake Oil and a little . . "Thanks, but, No Thanks" thumbs up

UtahRich 47 April 08, 2020 08:43PM

Back to you, Rich.

Monte 42 April 09, 2020 03:30AM

- Beyond Missed

UtahRich 47 April 09, 2020 03:01PM

Rich you covered them well, except these two:

Monte 29 April 10, 2020 03:27PM

OregonGregg 44 April 06, 2020 08:20AM

NWCindy 41 April 05, 2020 03:09PM

Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

Monte 53 April 05, 2020 12:06PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

diggindeep 46 April 05, 2020 04:17PM

Re: Great finds, Andrew.thumbs up Was that one of your old military sites?

jmaryt 47 April 05, 2020 12:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018