Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Veni, Vedi, Veci!

May 08, 2020 04:38PM
Well, maybe not conquered!

A REALLY BIG thank you to Gregg for his generous hospitality,his living room, and taking the time to run around the back country for a week. We were about as socially distanced as you can possibly get, and several days we saw not another soul. Nice to get outside and enjoy the fresh, Spring air and majestic views. Finished the evenings with a nice freshly squeezed Grapefruit adult beverage which sent us to bed, ready for the next day.

Boomer was a kick to watch and spend time with. He loves to play, and he surprised me several times. Once he went out the doggie door at about 3am, and apparently came back in on the run and pounced on top of my cot and weaseled in under my arm in about 3 seconds flat. In the field, he'd run between Gregg and I periodically to check on me. At least twice, i'm detecting along and out of nowhere, he'd come from behind me and jump up and bounce off my legs - talk about a cardiac checkup!

Now, for the finds. First, let's make sure I'm clear that on 4 of 6 days, i found nothing but ghost town do-dads. Fun to find, but not exactly what i was looking for. The other two days made up for it.

So, on day one, along w/ the 3 coins Gregg mentioned, i found a coin i last found about 6 years ago in Cobre. While using my V3i w/ 4x6 shooter coil and my nail board tuned program, i was scanning a large hillside where small miner shacks and tents once stood. You could hardly tell that today, but we knew where to look. On a fairly steep sidehill i got a poor response with a little high chirp. As i worked around it, it bounced around and only occasionally found the quarter range. As targets were scarce, i scuffed the ground and pulled out the pin pointer. The PP went off, but i didn't see a target. As i look closer, i saw what looked like about 1/2 inch of reeded edge sticking straight up at me. As i ran my fingernail over it, i knew i had big silver. I pinched the lip of the reeded edge, and pulled a very nice 1908 Barber Half that was absolutely vertical in the ground. Gregg was worried I found his 12 1/2 cent token, but ironically i had told him the night before i wanted a silver half as the last of any kind I'd found was at least 3 years ago - so success - at least for me, and Gregg was a touch frustrated with an empty pouch.

The next 3 days saw Gregg generally get 1-2 round targets in the pouch while i avoided anything good like it was Covid19, as to avoid being thrown out on the lawn to sleep. I didn't tell Gregg that i unhooked my coil wire to ensure rent free accommodations!

Finally, day 5 rolled around. I thought I'd sufficiently handicapped myself as i pulled out nearly 2 decade old tech in the form of an IDX Pro. Gregg decided if he let me take it away that he'd be several up in the Franklin count, and the coin count! Monte gave me instruction on getting the most from it (Big thank you Monte!), and after about 15 minutes, off I went. Maybe 20 minutes in, after getting used to single tone audio response, I got two very close proximity hits. One was reading dime/quarter and the other 50/$1. Spoiler alert - it wasn't another .50c or a silver dollar. Digging down about 4 inches, i saw a hint of brass. I worked around the target and popped out a triangular brass piece, and after giving it an initial inspection, i saw a hotel name on the front. Huh - a token. Not the first I'd recovered in Rippville, but the most unique. I took a breath, and rolled it over, hoping it was any denomination besides 12 1/2c, as that has been Gregg's white whale for several years. Now mind you, of the tokens in my collection, ALL are 5c. As i wiped off the loose sandy soil, 12 1/2c were staring back at me. Excitement switched to terror.

After sitting there for a minute or two, i wandered over to Monte to celebrate the success of the IDX w/ the 6"concentric, but also to lament my impending doom and likely loss of habitation privileges. After about 30 minutes, i walked over to Gregg again, no detector in hand. I held out the token and as he took it Hotel side up, he said 'it better darn well not have 12 1/2c on it.' Actually, he may not have said darn:-) I took 2 steps back, and said, 'it might'. As he rolled it over, the look of disbelief came over his face, and then he said, 'and you found it w/ an IDX in a place that has had countless coils over it'. All true. Luck, skill, tech - your call, and i'll take it no matter which. Interestingly, the $1 signal turned out to be a $1 sized washer about 3 inches away. Between the token and washer, was a small bent nail. So, there was plenty of reason to miss it all that time, but the IDX did tell me i had 2 targets near one another.

So, the final day again saw me getting skunked after working both the V3i and IDX for a number of hours. But hey, gotta be happy with what i found over the several days. Not as many finds as our last 2 years outings, but the grass was high, and any easy targets have left the building.

With that, again, a really big THANKS to Oregon Gregg and here it looking forward to next years outing, COVID allowing!

Zincoln
Attachments:
open | download - Obverse coins and token.jpg (3.29 MB)
open | download - Reverse coins and token.jpg (3.28 MB)
open | download - GT do dads.jpg (4.31 MB)
Subject Author Views Posted

Zincoln Came over and we went detecting...... Attachments

OregonGregg 234 May 08, 2020 03:09PM

Re: Zincoln Came over and we went detecting......

WM6 94 May 26, 2020 05:00PM

NWCindy 100 May 11, 2020 10:35AM

Utah1971 94 May 10, 2020 02:42PM

Re: Zincoln Came over and we went detecting......Great Hunt, Great stories from both, congratulations N/T

Druid 90 May 09, 2020 09:12AM

To OregonGregg and Zincoln - - - Congratulations!

Monte 114 May 09, 2020 06:54AM

Kickindirt 105 May 08, 2020 10:32PM

Elbert 97 May 08, 2020 08:46PM

Zincoln Came over and we went detecting......

UtahRich 105 May 08, 2020 04:41PM

Veni, Vedi, Veci! Attachments

zincoln 167 May 08, 2020 04:38PM

Re: Veni, Vedi, Veci!

NWCindy 102 May 11, 2020 10:40AM

Elbert 100 May 09, 2020 09:13AM

zincoln 101 May 09, 2020 12:08PM

Yep! Both You and El nabbed a 50ยข Barber on that Outing!smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float N/T

Monte 95 May 09, 2020 02:09PM

Kickindirt 102 May 08, 2020 10:50PM

Remfire 108 May 08, 2020 07:22PM

Veni, Vidi, Vici! LOL - Hail Caesar - winking smiley

UtahRich 109 May 08, 2020 04:56PM

Re: Veni, Vidi, Vici! LOL - Hail Caesar - winking smiley

zincoln 103 May 08, 2020 05:57PM

D&P-OR 99 May 08, 2020 05:59PM

OregonGregg 115 May 08, 2020 05:25PM

zincoln 99 May 08, 2020 05:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020