Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gosh, I didn't think you'd tell THAT story! eye popping smiley

May 26, 2020 01:27AM
Yes---Gregg put a whole new meaning to "Dump Digging"!-----That's a hunt to "live on" in ones memory all right.smiling smiley
Monte
I meant it as a "tongue-in-cheek" between you and me and just thought you'd play up on the reasons we (at least some of us) have a rake in our detecting gear. When I've had a Tahoe or pick-up or other conveyance with enough room, I have my rake that I use on occasion. I have friends who use a garden-rake like you have in old sites to move weeds, brush, building rubble and surface or shallow rusty junk out of the way to work a cleaned, gridded area.

I used to have a collapsible aluminum rake I kept with me that I used in ghost towns and other places to work down bottle-digger's dirt mounds ... until it finally broke and I never could find a replacement. The rake I use now, when I have room to tote it along, is a long-handled leaf-type rake with the smaller-size plastic design. I mainly use it when wood-chip or bark-chip tot-lots get worked pretty clean. Often times the well-used playgrounds get a lot of 'scuffing' that pushed much of the wood-chip material out and away from under the swing seats, or worse yet it gets pushed under a lot of the metal structures.

Once I have hunted the main-use area and am sure it is pretty much cleaned out, I go in with my rake and pull all that loose wood-chip or shredded tire material out from where it has built-up. It makes the tot-lot look tidier, allows me to find a lot of coins and jewelry from time-to-time, and it also helps me fill-in the worn-down areas so it will do its job as designed, to help soften a fall in the playground.

It is sturdy enough that I have also used it to remove some looser material in ghost towns and similar sites, or get leaves, small brush and some weeds out-of-the-way. I've never been called upon to fetch a phone.

I have good friends who detect and do a lot of digging-and-screening, but OregonGregg took a different approach to the term "Dump-Digging!"

Monte
Subject Author Views Posted

Relic Hunting recovery tools ... and I figured out how Oregon Gregg got his name.

Monte 85 May 25, 2020 07:50PM

Re: Relic Hunting recovery tools ... and I figured out Oregon Gregg got his name.

OregonGregg 75 May 25, 2020 08:11PM

Re: ba ha sounds like a CRAPPY job

Kickindirt 45 May 26, 2020 09:53AM

Re: Relic Hunting recovery tools ... and I figured out Oregon Gregg got his name.

Druid 52 May 26, 2020 07:18AM

Re: Relic Hunting recovery tools ... and I figured out Oregon Gregg got his name. Attachments

OregonGregg 54 May 26, 2020 08:22AM

Maybe if you were not finding so much neat stuff ...

Monte 46 May 27, 2020 06:52AM

Gosh, I didn't think you'd tell THAT story! eye popping smiley

Monte 59 May 26, 2020 12:57AM

Re: Gosh, I didn't think you'd tell THAT story! eye popping smiley

D&P-OR 51 May 26, 2020 01:27AM

D&P-OR 53 May 25, 2020 08:50PM

OregonGregg 41 May 26, 2020 08:18AM

Well that was a memorable Memorial Day! Fishing:-) N/T

zincoln 45 May 25, 2020 08:35PM

Re: Well that was a memorable Memorial Day! Fishing:-)

OregonGregg 47 May 26, 2020 08:26AM

Fishing :-)

UtahRich 46 May 26, 2020 08:51AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018