Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joel, I just want to clarify your comments. Mybe make one or two as well.winking smiley

June 18, 2020 02:43AM avatar
Kickindirt:
Yup Monte sure does get interesting. I think alot if it comes down personal preference and hunting styles. Although I like hunting with a 5" size coil I an also very quick to go get rid of it and swap it out for the 7" or 9". Then I'll hit another real trashy area and go flip back to the 5". Seems to work really well. If the ground goes silent for to long with the 5" mounted I start getting nervous I'm not gonna find anything swinging that little coil lol.

This year, and it's only mid-June, I have used a 'standard' search coil (the 11" DD on my Simplex + and 9X12 DD on my Vanquish 540) more than I have used standard coils in the past 5 years combined. I just do not hunt that many wide-open, limited-target sites and have only used them this year in a wide-open grassy park, and on the fringe area of an old site used in the '30s and '40s, and one portion of a plowed field. To me, most 'standard-size' search coils are considered 'large-coils' and I have little use for them.

Since the summer of 1968 when I started using a 6" factory coil, almost every detector I have owned and used has had a 5" to 7½" coil mounted. Back then, even to the latter '70s and early '80s, some of those were a standard coil for a particular model. I do most of my hunting in trashier places or those that are more confined due to brush or rubble or structures and smaller coils work the best for me. Since mid-'83 most coils I keep mounted full-time are "smaller-than-stock" in the ±5" to 7" diameter, and for the past 25 years or so, they have mainly been ±5" to 6½" in diameter.

If a site is somewhat low-to-moderately littered, I will use what I call a mid-size coil which is either a round 7" or an elliptical such as a 5X8 DD or 5X9½ DD. I use those for general-purpose hunting when it isn't too trashy, but quickly grab a unit with a smaller-size coil when the going gets tough ... and 'tough' occurs all too often where I prefer to play.

That said, I also do not limit myself to only one detector or one small coil. I keep a few detectors at-the-ready in my vehicle or general outfit and I will grab what I feel might work the best for the site I'm about to search. Then, I often switch things up just to use a different model that provides a different level of performance based on the type of debris and amount there is to handle.

Kickindirt:
The anfibio 5" prob has a slight advantage over the deus 5x9 also in most test scenarios. I think someone that knows the deus really well can still do just as good. Most test scenarios I've tried with the 5x9, just a slight turn one way or the other the 5x9 will hit on it.

The Anfibio Multi might have an edge over the Deus, or the Deus might have an edge over the Anfibio Multi with the coils you mentioned, but that is very dependent on the search mode used and settings chosen.

Yes, just a 'slight turn one way or the other" with something like a 5X9½ DD might provide a good signal ....but the problem is you don't know to slightly turn the coil to clean up a questionable hit unless you get a questionable hit in the first place. Many detectors, with many coils, just do not give an inkling of a response in the very dense ferrous contaminated junk. Often, although not always, the advantage is with the smaller coil.

Readers should not take that to think I said 'always' because I can grab an XP ORX w/5X9½ DD in a challenging test with a series of iron nails or screws and surprisingly get an excellent good-target hit while not, or hardly, hearing any of the iron. But as I often state with any detector and coil choices, I like to be selective and I know what my favorite picks can and can't do with my favorite settings.

Kickindirt:
Sure glad you and Gregg found a machine that really works well for you (Core)

Yes, the Nokta CoRe, as well as the Relic, are my absolute 'get-serious' models for taking on some of the nastiest Iron Nail and other ghost town type challenges out there. They both do things, with their smaller-size coils, that most of the competitive models can not match.

Kickindirt:
I'm having alot of probs with the audio lag of the machine itself. I like the audio tones, just the speed the machine processes seems a bit slower than I'm use to and seems to be a deal breaker for me. So I will have mine up for trade shortly.

Now, to be clear, when you refer to "audio lag" are you talking about a lag-time using wireless headphones, or are you referring to a delay or slower response-and-recovery on closely associated targets? If it is with headphones, then either change the wireless or simply use a quality corded headphone.

If you are referring to the recovery time, then I am more than shocked! Yes, some makes and models will sometimes demonstrate a very brisk response-and-recovery rate, but they do that when using a series of test samples that are all non-ferrous and higher-conductive. That's easy. But when you add some Discriminated or simply some lower-conductive ferrous objects in the mix, many detectors do not process the rejected or lower-conductive targets as quickly to recover as well as I get from a CoRe or Relic. And in a very challenging side-by-side comparison, and I mean a tough test using a variety of makes and models and their smaller to mid-size coils, the CoRe w/'OOR' DD came out just barley better than the Relic.

Kickindirt:
Thinking I'm looking for a nice Green T2 to trade for. Miss my T2.

The Teknetics T2 series. They were introduced in 2006, and since then I have owned 4 original T2's, a T2 SE, 4 of the T2 'Classics' (basically just the original at a lower price) and the T2+ which is my favorite of the T2's. Other than no more than an hour's use, with all of those models my primary-use coil was their 5" DD. I still have a T2 5" DD in my tote for sale, should you go that route of a T2..

The T2 'package' has to be one of the best ever designed. The arm cup stands tall on the side so your arm doesn't flop out, the one knob and one button to make all the necessary adjustments has to be the slickest and simplest ever. They have ample adjustment functions, and enough Discriminate mode Tone ID choices for a serious detectorist to like them. Many things about the Tek. T2's, especially the T2+, make it still one of my favorite detector packages and I used to keep two of them on-hand to have one in my vehicle and one as a back-up at home. Had two to end 2014 w/5" DD coils ready-to-go.

Then came January 8th of 2015, and 24 to 48 hours later almost all of my detector outfit were up for sale or trade. Both T2 Classics. two F-19's, a G2, an F75 Ltd., an MXT Pro, MX5, Omega, extra Classic's other than one modified IDX Pro, and several others. Why? Because I received a new detector and mounted the smaller coil and tested them on my NBPT, with about 5 other tough scenarios, and took them to an old homestead and outbuilding / barn where I knew there were a lot of iron nails from the structures, from uncrating, from horseshoes etc.

Since then I have purchased two more T2 Classic's and a T2+ just to see if there was anything I felt they offered that might have been lacking in my favorite current model line ... and there wasn't. Only the physical packaging which is still one of the best. It was performance and detection depth and VDI lock-on accuracy where they came up short.

But, as you stated, those were my experiences and we all have to be comfortable with what we like to use and that's important. Some like a Garrett AT Pro. Some prefer a White's V3i. Others like take to a MInelab FBS model. For their applications, those are what make them happy. Me? I own and use what keeps me grinning, and so should you. Perhaps the T2 with whatever smaller coil you like would be a good complement for you to the XP Deus, and if we get out hunting and we're finding stuff, that's what it is all about.

Monte

PS: I also agree with the Green T2's which I like a lot better than the basic black version.thumbs up

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: F5 w/7" Con. .. Apex w/5X8 DD .. Apex w/NEL 5" DD .. Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD
Simplex + w/5X9½ DD .. Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Con.
Special-Use Team: CoRe w/'OOR' DD .. Relic w/5" DD .. XLT w/6½" Con. .. Bandido II µMAX w/6" Con.
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Getting Geedy!! Attachments

Kickindirt 219 June 16, 2020 12:20PM

Re: Getting Geedy!!

Goondock 127 June 21, 2020 07:32PM

Kickindirt 118 June 21, 2020 08:31PM

Re: Getting Geedy!! I am a DEALER!!

Kickindirt 131 June 19, 2020 10:01PM

Utah1971 135 June 20, 2020 08:02PM

Kickindirt 118 June 20, 2020 11:01PM

D&P-OR 121 June 20, 2020 08:11PM

Getting Greedy - smiling bouncing smiley

UtahRich 134 June 16, 2020 10:49PM

Re: Getting Greedy - smiling bouncing smiley

Kickindirt 127 June 17, 2020 02:22AM

WM6 142 June 17, 2020 07:57PM

Dan'o 126 June 19, 2020 01:10PM

WM6 115 June 19, 2020 09:02PM

D&P-OR 115 June 19, 2020 03:28PM

OregonGregg 127 June 18, 2020 07:38AM

WM6 132 June 19, 2020 01:53AM

OregonGregg 116 June 19, 2020 09:14AM

WM6 112 June 19, 2020 08:54PM

OregonGregg 126 June 20, 2020 05:31AM

Tesoro Euro Sabre II .. ???

Monte 120 June 19, 2020 09:18PM

Re: Tesoro Euro Sabre II .. ???

WM6 125 June 20, 2020 12:33AM

'Thank You' WM6. I thought I remembered asking, but ...

Monte 125 June 20, 2020 01:07AM

Re: 'Thank You' WM6. I thought I remembered asking, but ...

WM6 137 June 20, 2020 01:44AM

Re: 'Thank You' WM6. I thought I remembered asking, but ... Attachments

EL NINO 128 June 20, 2020 03:02PM

WM6 112 June 20, 2020 08:26PM

EL NINO 117 June 21, 2020 01:16AM

Dan'o 129 June 20, 2020 09:53AM

WM6, some answers from Monte.

Monte 149 June 17, 2020 08:49PM

Re: WM6, some answers from Monte.

Kickindirt 125 June 18, 2020 12:41AM

Detectors and coils for hunting iron trash. It does get interesting.thinking

Monte 140 June 17, 2020 01:33PM

Re: Detectors and coils for hunting iron trash. It does get interesting.thinking

Kickindirt 129 June 17, 2020 07:31PM

Re: Detectors and coils for hunting iron trash. It does get interesting.thinking

OregonGregg 117 June 18, 2020 08:20AM

Kickindirt 119 June 18, 2020 11:29AM

OregonGregg 121 June 18, 2020 01:50PM

Joel, I just want to clarify your comments. Mybe make one or two as well.winking smiley

Monte 122 June 18, 2020 02:43AM

Re: Joel, I just want to clarify your comments. Mybe make one or two as well.winking smiley

Kickindirt 118 June 18, 2020 05:36AM

OregonGregg 124 June 16, 2020 06:02PM

Getting Geedy? ... No, you're just reaping the rewards while enjoying the

Monte 125 June 16, 2020 04:15PM

NWCindy 128 June 16, 2020 01:01PM

Dan'o 127 June 16, 2020 02:46PM

D&P-OR 124 June 16, 2020 03:12PM

Kickindirt 121 June 17, 2020 01:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020