Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: "I think I'm done with this place ...." moody smiley

July 20, 2020 10:45AM
I think some of success is a state of mind. I've been places one day and just not felt like getting focused on the task at hand. Zig Zagging through the brush, swinging too fast, something else on my mind, it's too hot, it's too cold, the grass is too high, etc, etc. Then there are other days when I'm just feeling the mojo and I'm finding stuff in places I've been over ,many times before.

One thing that helps me it to have a plan before I reach the site. If it's a new site, I always like to walk the area first and get an overview of the conditions. I look for foundations, glass, etc. If I skip this step and just start hunting I often find myself looking in the least productive areas. If the site is familiar to me I think about where I want to start and what hunting strategy I'm going to use when I arrive. I will usually have a plan B and C as well.

Also, I think often times we can also place imaginary or physical boundaries in the way of success. Imaginary boundaries can be our perception of our ability, our machines ability, lack of site knowledge, etc, etc, etc. Fences, ravines, rows of trees are all physical boundaries we sometimes are reluctant to cross. In our mind we might think nobody ever went over there back then because of.............

Perfect example last fall, 3 of us are hunting an old homestead which by the way has been hammered since the early 90's. This place had a military camp close by so there is always the possibility of finding something good there. At the edge of one of the fields is a row of tall sage brush that separates one field from another and to the one side is a ravine. Quiet a bit of stuff has been found in the past on the opposite side of the ravine. But, I guess we all figured over the years that nobody ever went over to the other side of the ravine and lost anything. Yea we had walked through the area with our detectors on in the past and never found anything but we never put any effort into hunting it very good. So one day my one buddy decides he's going to swing through this area on his way back to the truck. He literally takes one step out of the sage brush and gets a good signal that turns out to be an 1836 $5 gold coin.

Like you said Monte we never get it all. At least until you've taken a bulldozer to it and screened the top 2 feet of soil. Believe me I've though about doing that to a few of my sites. Now if I could only win the lottery!

Andrew

XP Deus-Minelab Equinox 800-Minelab GPX 4000-Tarsacci MDT 8000-Makro Racer 2-Nokta Makro Simplex-Minelab Vanquish-Easy Radar ER500A GPR
Subject Author Views Posted

"I think I'm done with this place ...." moody smiley

Monte 174 July 19, 2020 10:53AM

diggindeep 84 July 20, 2020 10:45AM

Re: "I think I'm done with this place ...." moody smiley Attachments

OregonGregg 121 July 19, 2020 03:27PM

Kickindirt 93 July 19, 2020 01:12PM

D&P-OR 113 July 19, 2020 11:36AM

NWCindy 93 July 19, 2020 03:09PM

WM6 92 July 19, 2020 04:24PM

NWCindy 85 July 20, 2020 06:33AM

WM6 78 July 20, 2020 12:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020