Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Somewhere in Wyoming at an untouched stage stop.

August 17, 2020 08:45AM
Got a call from a friend on Thursday asking what I was doing over the weekend. After he told me about a new site he had located, I was all in. Left Friday after work and drove 4 hours to Wyoming where I spend the night at his house. He filled me and 2 others in about the site he had researched and how he got permission to metal detect it. The site was an old stage stop that saw both civilian and military traffic over it's 30 or so years of existence. He told us he had only searched it with a metal detector a few hours just to make sure it was going to be worth the drive for us.

The next morning we drove quit some distance into no mans land and after several stops to look at GPS coordinates we finally arrived. When we drove up to the site we were meet by two large Buck Mule Deer, what a sight. I took my Minelab Equinox with the 11" and 6" coil and XP Deus with the 9" HF coil to the site. Started with the Equinox but after a few hours I switched to the Deus due to the shallowness and concentration of targets. It was apparent this site had never been touched with a metal detector with the exception of my friend who called us.

We spend 10 hours hunting on Saturday which included digging in a dump we found in a wash, metal detecting and digging out a privy in back of the old stage station foundation. On Saturday 3 coins were found, an 1888 IHP, 1886 IHP and a 1876-CC seated dime. Over 30 military buttons and other military type items such as bullets, shell casings and knapsack parts.

That night we camped under the stars and listened to the coyotes howl. Sunday morning we got up at 5:30 am because we needed to head out by noon for the long drive home. To our total amazement we were surrounded by a heard of deer and in that heard were 15-16 very large bucks. I have never seen so many large deer in one place. I didn't get any pictures of the deer due to the low light conditions, but I'll never forget that sight.

Sunday morning we spend digging out 3 more privy holes but only 1 full bottle (until I broke it with the shovel) and a button were recovered from the holes. In our last hour there I recovered another IHP, a fatty 1863. If you look at the pictures and times that by 4, you'll see how much came out of the site. What makes it difficult to hunt is all the brass shell casing that are littered around. These are not modern shell casings either, they date from 1877 to the late 1880's and sound good. I think there are a lot more military buttons and coins at this site but the shell casing need to be picked up to get to them.

Untouched sites like this one still exist. somebody just needs to do the research and leg work to find them. I'm thankful my friend invited me to this great site and hopefully we can get back there in the near future.

Andrew

XP Deus-Minelab Equinox 800-Minelab GPX 4000-Tarsacci MDT 8000-Makro Racer 2-Nokta Makro Simplex-Minelab Vanquish-Easy Radar ER500A GPR
Attachments:
open | download - Everything.jpg (3.9 MB)
open | download - Buttons.jpg (3.58 MB)
open | download - Indians.jpg (1.94 MB)
Subject Author Views Posted

Somewhere in Wyoming at an untouched stage stop. Attachments

diggindeep 152 August 17, 2020 08:45AM

Re: Somewhere in Wyoming at an untouched stage stop.

NWCindy 56 August 29, 2020 12:37PM

OregonGregg 73 August 17, 2020 04:33PM

Looks like you enjoyed a rewarding weekend, Andrew.thumbs up

Monte 69 August 17, 2020 04:21PM

Re: Looks like you enjoyed a rewarding weekend, Andrew.thumbs up

diggindeep 70 August 18, 2020 08:12AM

Thanks for the settings info.

Monte 61 August 18, 2020 12:18PM

Timbertodd 68 August 17, 2020 01:48PM

Wyoming stage stop.

UtahRich 71 August 17, 2020 11:52AM

Kickindirt 86 August 17, 2020 09:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 49
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020