Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good report, Andrew, and really matches how I have felt about the Apex ...

September 13, 2020 06:37PM avatar
... and that is, it is a really decent detector overall, and the 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil is performing better than I thought, but I feel some of the better-performance is due to the circuitry design. The Minelab Vanquish 540 is a very good detector and has its place for some of my hunting tasks using the 5X8 DD coil. However, in very littered sites with Iron Nails, both the Apex w/'Viper' DD coil and Simplex + w/5X9½ DD coil excel in handling the tougher Iron challenges. They both surpass the V-540 w/5X8 DD on my NBPT.

Still, the one ingredient missing in the Apex line is a good, smaller-size search coil and I would like to see a 4½" to 5½" round coil offered, be it Concentric or Double-D, as long as the performance is there.

All three of these models with their mid-size coils (V-540 and Simplex +) or mid-big coil (the Apex) will make very good detectors to grab for 'scouting' a wide-open site to look for any former habitation and use, or for hunting the 'fringe areas' of a lot of ghost towns. Not all old townsites contain a lot of dense debris everywhere. Some are really bad, but I know several where there are some very 'quiet' areas, such as a section I call 'The Flats' in Tecoma Nevada, or a lot of very flat and spread-out Tobar Nevada.

'Thank You', also, for including your settings used. I always enjoy hearing those reports. Most of the places I've been hunting the Sensitivity is set at '8' for full Sensitivity most of the time, and if there is EMI I have dropped it two bars from full. I like to use some Discrimination but not a lot. Occasionally I'll use ZERO mode, but most of the time I use my CUSTOM settings which is to Accept from '20' on up of the VDI/TID Disc. segments. That way, using some amount of Discrimination, I can use the Iron Audio function which helps audibly classify most Bottle Caps as well as a lot of the Rusty Tin.

The folks at Garrett finally brought us / me the best general-purpose detector I have had from them in several decades ... and I am really impressed.thumbs up Just need the smaller coil to enhance its abilities.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Garrett Apex 3 hour ghost town hunt Attachments

diggindeep 68 September 13, 2020 03:00PM

Good report, Andrew, and really matches how I have felt about the Apex ...

Monte 38 September 13, 2020 06:37PM

Re: Garrett Apex 3 hour ghost town hunt

Timbertodd 31 September 13, 2020 03:57PM

Re: Garrett Apex 3 hour ghost town hunt

NWCindy 43 September 13, 2020 03:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020