Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maybe, but it's back to the 'old school' hunting style.

October 30, 2020 10:03AM avatar
OregonGregg
Monte and I will have a chance to get out to Rippville this Sunday. Will be just in time to try out my new coil for the MXT/M6.
Yes, it will be fun to get out hunting before winter's deep freeze sets in. But you will be 'trying out' more than just a search coil. The Detech 7" DD is a nice looking coil, and I liked it on the MX-7 .. except .. for when it fell short of performance compared with the White's 6½" Concentric coil. But for day-to-day work it's not too bad. It just depends on how well a coil works on a given detector as that can make a change in performance. 'Zincoln' has been proof of how well the 7" DD works on his MX Sport, which is simply a waterproof MX-7.

However, it's going to be back to 'old school' hunting style for you. You used to use those clunky metal-housed models, especially the M6, back in latter 2013 and through 2014, but as you got into 2015 you started using a Makro Racer and Nokta FORS CoRe. Those models provided you with a very functional 3-Tone audio and you could hunt with them at a lower Disc. level to just barely accept Iron Nails. You had the enjoyment of hearing a lot of the offending iron debris when hunting old sites, such as Rippville and many others, with the benefit of hearing the Low-Tone Iron Audio.

Then in 2016 you 'graduated' to the new Makro Racer 2 that also provided Iron Audio Volume. Then you put a Nokta FORS Relic in your outfit which also features Iron Audio Volume so now you can control the loudness of the iron with those two models. So for about 5½ years you've mainly enjoyed 3-Tone function and listening to the Low-Iron Audio, and sometimes adjusting that volume level.

But you never really took advantage of hunting much in the excellent 2-Tone Audio but briefly a time or two. In dense Iron Nails and a few other applications it can provide fantastic audio responses on desired targets, but you just got very comfortable with the 3-Tone modes. And now you spent $$$ for a fancy new 7" DD coil to give those two clunkers a workout. Relying on their SINGLE-Tone audio (because their 7-Tone ID is terribly annoying) and that means you're going to use the 'old school' approach and increase the Discrimination to knock out Iron Nails and a bit more ferrous junk to eliminate hearing ANY Iron response. Or at least as much as you can because it won't help with a lot of bottle caps and rusty tin, etc.

The MXT Pro does provide a 2-Tone audio in the Relic mode, but you never use that. So now, increasing the Disc. to reject all ferrous junk means there will be more good-target masking if you're hunting in a lot of ferrous debris. It will be a return to times of old and might call for a higher patience level than you've enjoyed for five-and-a-half years. And you say you don't use the visual Target ID much, if any, and we know that a DD coil can often produce a more inconsistent VDI anyway, especially in dense, mixed trash. It will be audio only and Iron rejection for a single tone response.

Hint: You could have saved the $$$ for the coil and hung a clunker on the wall and simply brought your Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric out to play. I think you might do better to use a lighter-weight package and fuss less with settings and such.

OregonGregg
It will be fun to see those new cocky entry-level machines strutting their stuff and the old school MXT Pro with its new 7" coil will send the Apex and Vanquish howling for the door. Sunday will be fun.
"Entry level?" Just because models like those I have on-hand, like the Fisher F5, Garrett Apex, Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta / Makro Simplex + and White's MX-7 ALL sell for less than that way over-priced MXT Pro was listed for doesn't make them "Entry Level." Nope, not by a long shot. The are all light-weight, balance quite well, and provide very good in-the-field performance. All provide Iron Audio Volume control, but they do have one thing in common with the White's M6 and MXT Pro.

And what do they all have in common? They were all well designed and all of them have a decent level of performance capability in the iron infested old ghost towns we like to hunt. So it just boils down to what we happen to enjoy using on any particular day, and be able to like the coils we have mounted on the far end of the rod. So be ready, get adjusted to the 'old school' approach to get out there and work a new-to-you search coil. It is an attractive-looking coil and is built to be durable for the places we like to go.

OregonGregg
, I hope after Sunday is done I get to come back here and post a find.smiling smiley smiling smiley
I hope you will also. A tangible, boast-about find or two.

We don't want you to post about other FINDS, such as you:

FOUND out you spent money you shouldn't have.

FOUND out it didn't work as well as you hoped.

FOUND out that the MXT Pro and M6 ought to be stay-at-home display models of 'good-times past.'

FOUND out those White's are heavier than you're used to.

FOUND out just how much you missed using a 3-Tone audio ID.

Just funning with you as you prepare for a chilly start in two days.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: Fisher F5 .. Garrett Apex .. Minelab Vanquish 540 .. Nokta / Makro Simplex + .. Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX
Special-Use Team: Nokta FORS CoRe & FORS Relic … White’s XLT ... Tesoro Bandido II microMAX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Maybe, just maybe.... Attachments

OregonGregg 102 October 30, 2020 06:40AM

Re: Maybe, just maybe....

Druid 46 October 30, 2020 09:05PM

Drew, yes a coil exist for the V3i

OregonGregg 44 October 30, 2020 09:41PM

Re: Drew, yes a coil exist for the V3i Attachments

EL NINO 48 October 31, 2020 12:47AM

Re: Drew, yes a coil exist for the V3i: Thanks Gregg & El Nino!

Druid 26 November 02, 2020 12:24PM

OregonGregg 31 November 02, 2020 08:44PM

Druid 29 November 03, 2020 12:22PM

A different approach -

UtahRich 50 October 30, 2020 05:09PM

Re: A different approach - Attachments

OregonGregg 56 October 30, 2020 08:38PM

Watch Yourself ! ! They're Only UFO's till you get a date and a mint mark. LOL

UtahRich 36 October 30, 2020 11:01PM

Re: A different approach -

D&P-OR 38 October 30, 2020 09:27PM

Helmet & goggles

OregonGregg 36 October 30, 2020 09:43PM

Re: Helmet & goggles

D&P-OR 33 October 30, 2020 09:49PM

Kickindirt 42 October 30, 2020 03:21PM

Ut OH!!!!

OregonGregg 39 October 30, 2020 03:52PM

Re: Maybe, just maybe.... Attachments

EL NINO 43 October 30, 2020 03:00PM

OregonGregg 33 October 30, 2020 03:54PM

Druid 35 October 30, 2020 09:09PM

Maybe, but it's back to the 'old school' hunting style.

Monte 44 October 30, 2020 10:03AM

Re: Maybe, but it's back to the 'old school' hunting style. "OUCH" N/T

Druid 25 October 30, 2020 09:12PM

zincoln 41 October 30, 2020 09:46AM

Timbertodd 46 October 30, 2020 07:18AM

OregonGregg 45 October 30, 2020 03:56PM

Re: Maybe, just maybe.... "Rule of thumb in detecting"

Druid 34 October 30, 2020 09:15PM

Now thats funnysmiling bouncing smiley

Timbertodd 30 October 30, 2020 05:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020