Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yes, indeed. A good 'old friend' can be great to get together with.

November 03, 2020 12:42AM avatar
UtahRich
Gregg,

Your M6 at Rippville got me to thinking that one of Monte's best producers last year (2019) was his White's XLT - If I recall correctly, the XLT found the vast majority of silver for him that year, among other things.

Rich, you are right about me and the XLT. Due to a number of health related issues my ability to get out detecting is really dwindling more and more this past half-dozen years, and because of that I've steadily been trimming a lot of detectors from my outfit .... and doing a lot of that now with all these brand new detectors I bought that were not really in my budget. It was partly to try and help a lot of readers see how some of the new and very affordable detectors can work, compered with higher-end and more featured detectors. The selfish part was to see if there was anything out there that interested me and would be welcome in my stable when I have room after sending some of the herd out to pasture.

Of course I had to sort of 'thumb through my album' to refresh my memory of how some of those good friends handled the rough, rocky trails we'd roam together, and be there as a good companion for me when I wasn't having such a pleasant day. As most of us know, the only real 'test' we can appreciate are those we do ourselves with different detectors and coils in-hand so that we get a real 'feel' for what a combination can do, then see how it fits into what we like, what we want, and what we need.

Four months from this week I wrap up my 56th year of detecting and, along the way, I met some cantankerous characters I just didn't care for. Some that were on the lazy side and didn't seem to want to get out and work to be productive. Others that were too preoccupied with all their fashionable things that they were too fussy to behave in a crowded environment. A few that looked attractive, but ended up more like a really bad date. But through it all, I made some good friends with some very likable characters who just seemed to fit in with most anything I wanted to do, enjoyed traveling around with me, and accompanied me while I strolled around looking for little lost this-and-thats.

Those are the good friends I have had the opportunity to mingle with the most, and when a party gets to be a drag, they are the ones I seek out because we get along together quite well. A few are newer friends who've happened along, and some are old pals. My White's XLT is now the only White's model that is going to be staying close by. I keep a 6½" Blue Max Concentric coil mounted full-time because that is a combination that serves my needs well. It is not the good friend I call upon when I confront some tough challenges that call for a strong back and maybe some precision talents, but it is my companion when I get out to stroll around a more open and easy-to-maneuver place without so much to stumble over.

The open area i hunted a lot with the XLT out at 'Rippville' is just such a place, and my buddy & I also checked out a vacant lot or two that were just our style. Doing so, the XLT helped locate over half the silver coins I found last year. From an 1892 Barber 10¢, when killing time at 'Rippville' with OregonGregg, to some newer silver varieties, and I also ended up with a few nice Trade Tokens while relaxing out there with my friend.

My mobility struggles this past few months and then working, day-and-night, with all my detectors plus the many I have acquired to do the multi-model valuation, gave me plenty of time to reflect on what successes I have enjoyed through decades past, what it took (other than location, an important key to success) for me to have an enjoyable time, and how 'special' some of my friends have been.

Those 'good friends' include my Nokta CoRe and Relic for the very challenging iron contaminated sites. My never-let-me-down Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, and a few youngsters who moved into the neighborhood recently and have proven to help me enjoy a day outdoors, and are 'friendly' and easy to get along with, and work hard if I call upon them to help me with a chore. Even though a couple of them are 'foreign' to the USA, we all speak the same language and communicate quite well. Those good friends who ride along with me in my Daily-Use Team travels are my Garrett Apex, Minelab Vanquish 540 and Nokta / Makro Simplex +.

UtahRich
I'm wagering the XLT is an old friend for him as well despite it not scoring high on all of the tests.

Tests aside, what seems to be the important criteria here ? ? ? ? ? ?

Well, my XLT is one of the older but more educated friends I have. Just a little slower figuring things out and letting me know what's happening than the others who hang out with me, but when asked to perform and the stage is ready for him, I do get to enjoy a wonderful show of talents and skills.

My evaluation Test Scenarios were more in tune with what average Coin & Jewelry Hunters might encounter around littered picnic areas, sports fields and bleacher areas, and other commonly used, and littered, locations. I didn't expect him to do well, but he did his best. I thanked him for trying and hung him back on my den wall display to rest up and be ready for a future jaunt outdoors. He just can't play tag or hide-and-seek like these younger pals.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily-Use Team: Fisher F5 .. Garrett Apex .. Minelab Vanquish 540 .. Nokta / Makro Simplex + .. Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX
Special-Use Team: Nokta FORS CoRe & FORS Relic … White’s XLT ... Tesoro Bandido II microMAX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive & ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk .. ML-80 .. N/M Green edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Tried out the Zincoln Approved 7" Detech coil today....... Attachments

OregonGregg 86 November 01, 2020 10:08PM

Re: Tried out the Zincoln Approved 7" Detech coil today.......

NWCindy 27 November 06, 2020 11:49PM

It looks like a year-end Congratulations.

Monte 40 November 03, 2020 01:00AM

Didn’t try out the Zincoln Approved 7" Detech coil today....... Attachments

Remfire 53 November 02, 2020 05:06PM

Very fun, I like those!

NWCindy 28 November 06, 2020 11:51PM

Sorry I missed the meet-up, but glad you were not skunked.

Monte 31 November 03, 2020 12:47AM

Re: Didn’t try out the Zincoln Approved 7" Detech coil today.......

OregonGregg 39 November 02, 2020 08:33PM

Re: Didn’t try out the Zincoln Approved 7" Detech coil today.......

Remfire 32 November 03, 2020 12:38AM

Congrats on the finds Roger! N/T

Timbertodd 21 November 02, 2020 07:53PM

Out and About -

UtahRich 34 November 02, 2020 05:14PM

Re: Out and About -

Remfire 27 November 02, 2020 08:28PM

Checked out but didn't check back in.

OregonGregg 28 November 02, 2020 08:36PM

Kickindirt 38 November 02, 2020 12:22PM

OregonGregg 23 November 02, 2020 08:37PM

EL NINO 28 November 02, 2020 04:51PM

OregonGregg 22 November 02, 2020 08:38PM

Old Friends . . .

UtahRich 46 November 02, 2020 11:22AM

Re: Old Friends . . .

NWCindy 24 November 06, 2020 11:56PM

Reunited - .

UtahRich 32 November 02, 2020 04:37PM

Yes, indeed. A good 'old friend' can be great to get together with.

Monte 31 November 03, 2020 12:42AM

Timbertodd 35 November 02, 2020 08:00AM

OregonGregg 31 November 02, 2020 08:22AM

Born again....or convert?

zincoln 45 November 01, 2020 10:34PM

Re: Born again....or convert?

OregonGregg 37 November 02, 2020 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 54
Record Number of Guests: 632 on November 18, 2020