Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Now we are going to take a stroll out of the urban trash.

May 06, 2021 10:46AM avatar
We'll get away from Pull-Tabs and Pry-Tabs, aluminum Screw Caps, all those pesky non-ferrous juice drink packets, condiment packets and foil candy wrappers and foil bottle toppers. All those accumulated modern-day discards we have to deal with in all the popular urban areas we hunt.

We are going to take a stroll into the non-typical city locations such as sidewalk renovation, long-vacant city lots where old houses and other structures once stood, and even take a turn or two as the path leads us into the very challenging places with a lot of ferrous debris. Iron Nails, bits and pieces of other ferrous-based junk that was thrown out or broken off of some farm equipment or other machinery or conveyance. Yes, the 'routine' sort of junk any avid Relic Hunting enthusiast is going to have to deal with when working old sites, most notable being a ghost town. Also homesteads / farmsteads, well used pioneer and military encampments, and all sorts of things out there to be searched. .

I'm headed out for some mid-day and afternoon detecting, planning to work an old RR siding area, but will touch on the topics of hunting in, and dealing with, ferrous debris. Mainly the big two frustrating objects, Iron Nails and Rusty Tin. This will be information about the effects of magnetic type ferrous debris on an EMF as well as Discrimination, and how some makes and models of detectors can handle different environments we encounter.

If you are comfortable with what you know and how your detectors work, no problem. Just tune in for a different future topic. But if you are often frustrated or just plain bewildered with your in-the-field encounters and trying to figure out why you do, or don't, find some of the older lost coins, tokens, buttons and other stuff you might read about or have seen on forum posts, maybe this will be an interesting topic for discussion?

So if you have time today, try to get out and do some detecting and take note of what seems to bother you should you end up in this type of location. If you can't get out, just practice at home with some samples.

Later .....

Monte

NOTE: This post and those I make that follow are going to be 'Locked' for the moment and be 'Read Only'. This is to help those who are new to the hobby, or just interested in learning more about hunting in Iron contamination to get a better understanding of what the issues are, metal detector selection, search coil choice, and how to adjust various settings as well as their site search techniques.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 03:10PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Now we are going to take a stroll out of the urban trash.

Monte 292 May 06, 2021 10:46AM

F.. We have now arrived at Iron Nails and Rusty Tin ... What to Use and What to Do?confused smiley

Monte 109 May 14, 2021 02:37AM

E.. Problem Common Trash; so-called 'False Signals'; Useful Search Techniques.

Monte 128 May 11, 2021 06:26AM

D.... The next major advancement: VLF-Disc. and Motion-Discrimination.

Monte 109 May 09, 2021 09:22AM

C.. And then came the Discriminators, and VLF's and VLF/TR-Disc.

Monte 85 May 07, 2021 06:27PM

B.. Just what was a "Metal / Mineral Locator" I spoke about?

Monte 93 May 07, 2021 10:03AM

A.. First, let's follow the path that leads us into various Iron / Ferrous debris.

Monte 162 May 07, 2021 05:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021