Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple fact: Anyone, using anything, can find something good, any time.

August 26, 2021 06:50AM avatar
But that's because anyone can get lucky at least once-in-a-while.

Now, if we want to stack the odds in our favor, then we ought to put some effort into the following - - - - all of which have already been mentioned:

► Be as patient as possible. Not just for the first few minutes, but be patient and persistent for the full-time you're hunting.

► Learn to work slowly and methodically to ensure all of the path you're walking is thoroughly covered, and that means overlapping and putting the search coil in and around and under all the brush and bushes and rubble you can.

► Select one or more detectors that are capable of working well in such an environment, can handle Iron debris well so as to respond to nearby keepers that are partially masked.

► Use a smaller-size to mid-size search coil of the proper type (Concentric or Double-D) to function well with the detector-of-choice. Both detector and coil need to provide efficient performance.

► Select a site that had a significant population and / or ample 'transient' population, such as a high-use cattle town, railroad town, freighting point, etc.

► Remember that regardless of how hunted a location has been, it is never 'worked out' and it is up to use, employing the above points, to put in the time-and-effort to find the 'left-overs'.

► Finally, it is up to us to learn the strengths and weaknesses of any detector or coil we choose to use. Know the controls, know how things interact, and learn each detector well. Part of that 'learning' is to listen and understand the audio response as that is the best form of information we can get from any desirable target as well as the unwanted trash at a site. Audio response is #1.

► Also, keep in mind that some detectors and coils are well suited for every-day general-purpose Coin Hunting, but may not be a good, functional device for the very challenging old-use sites that have an abundance of ferrous debris.

As an example, here is my current Detector Team that work well in the trashier areas of ghost towns and similar locations, or can provide very good performance in the 'fringe areas' with a little less debris, or for 'scouting' potential sites:

Tesoro Bandido II microMAX outfitted with a 6" Concentric coil. This model, like the former favorite models that came out from Tesoro, are responsible for finding 95% of all the old coins, old trade tokens, and other old and desired keepers from ghost towns, homesteads, pioneer and military encampments, dance hall sites, fort sites, and other long-gone places since July of '83. All those finds came when using a 7" Concentric coil, until they introduced the slightly smaller 6' Concentric coil.

That 95% recovery rate comes from ample time afield hunting old sites mainly in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming. That includes recovering hundreds of coins to fill 4 binders plus some from my all-time favorite ghost town of 'Twin Flats'. Because of the success I have had from my favorite Tesoro's with a small coil for the past 38 years, I compare all makes and models I get my hands on in both test-scenarios as well as hunting actual old, challenging locations, then I settle on the detectors that can match, or come very close to matching, the performance I get from my favorite Tesoro.

Some have done well, but I have also trimmed my outfit to those models that are the lightest, best balanced, and / or top-performers, so the rest of my line-up are the:

Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil
Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil
Nokta FORS Relic w/5X9½ DD coil
XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil
Garrett Apex w/5X8 DD 'Ripper' coil

My Tesoro with these others handle all my dense-trash as well as 'fringe-area' search needs. I also have another model w/6" Concentric for tot-lots and other quick-hit urban areas I encounter, and one with an 8½X11 DD should I want to grab a set-up for hunting plowed fields, a beach or any other wide-open / limited-target area. I have my small-coil detector team, but I am holding out in hope that Garrett will release their 4½" Concentric coil for the Apex series.

Now, keep in mind I am not saying that there isn't a detector out there to match my 5 detector & coil selection. I'm simply stating that these five models with their assigned search coils are what I happen to like and have selected to work when and where I need them. I know them well, and just as with any detector, the more I use them the more I learn because we never know it all and understand everything they can and can't do.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted, for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk ..
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Ghost Town success open question starting with Kickindirt

Utmike 162 August 25, 2021 09:59PM

Re: Ghost Town success open question starting with Kickindirt

NWCindy 81 August 26, 2021 10:09PM

Thanks Cindy

Utmike 66 August 27, 2021 01:08PM

Thank you for your expertise & comments.

Utmike 72 August 26, 2021 07:15PM

OregonGregg 74 August 26, 2021 12:29PM

Simple fact: Anyone, using anything, can find something good, any time.

Monte 80 August 26, 2021 06:50AM

Kickindirt 87 August 26, 2021 03:06AM

What zincoln said, and . . .

UtahRich 70 August 26, 2021 02:29AM

Re: What zincoln said, and . . .

jmaryt 53 August 26, 2021 07:15AM

zincoln 64 August 26, 2021 12:35AM

Kickindirt 52 August 26, 2021 03:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021